BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Need Opinions - Drove for 5 hours in sports plus/m mode (break-in)

Is it possible I stressed the car by driving it for so long during break-in? I never exceeded 4.5k rpm but I did drive the car for 5-6 hours straight around town trying to get miles done for the break in... the car never over-heated or anything but I am asking this because I have heard mixed opinions on break-in procedures.

I've heard mixed opinions about using sport settings during break-in but I couldn't help myself...1200 miles with just the valves open in efficient mode is pretty bland

All opinions appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:15 AM   #2
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
Is it possible I stressed the car by driving it for so long during break-in? I never exceeded 4.5k rpm but I did drive the car for 5-6 hours straight around town trying to get miles done for the break in... the car never over-heated or anything but I am asking this because I have heard mixed opinions on break-in procedures.

I've heard mixed opinions about using sport settings during break-in but I couldn't help myself...1200 miles with just the valves open in efficient mode is pretty bland

All opinions appreciated!
Keeping it below 5K is the key. And not going over 120mph. Mode doesn't really matter because your not heavy on throttle. I drove 9hr when I picked up mine, drove with S and S+. I have yet to drive it comfort. Now I am mostly driving on local roads instead of highway, to give her some legal speed limit time . Also try to use the manual shift if you got a auto car, and go through all the gears. Ones pass 1000, you can go up on RPM time to time but not to redline.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Sport mode isn't going to hurt the engine, it just changes the throttle sensitivity and exhaust flaps and ASD.

You did exactly the right thing. Much better to drive around town, alternating speed and RPM than to drone along on the highway for 5 hours.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Sport mode isn't going to hurt the engine, it just changes the throttle sensitivity and exhaust flaps and ASD.

You did exactly the right thing. Much better to drive around town, alternating speed and RPM than to drone along on the highway for 5 hours.
Uh oh. I'm picking up the car at the Performance Center and will be putting all the break-in miles on my drive back to Houston. Will be making stops in three towns along the way, staying two nights in two of them and one in the other. Will be mixing some in-town driving, but the vast majority of miles will be on the highway. Will try to work through some gears while keeping the revs low, and will be doing some mountain driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway at variable speeds. Hope that will be enough.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
Quote:

Uh oh. I'm picking up the car at the Performance Center and will be putting all the break-in miles on my drive back to Houston. Will be making stops in three towns along the way, staying two nights in two of them and one in the other. Will be mixing some in-town driving, but the vast majority of miles will be on the highway. Will try to work through some gears while keeping the revs low, and will be doing some mountain driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway at variable speeds. Hope that will be enough.
Unrelated, but I cannot WAIT to drive blue ridge later this year in my G80. Definitely varied RPM in those curves
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
You'll be fine. I was just exaggerating for effect. If you occasionally run at speed in 5th instead of sixth (or six instead of seven, if auto), plus the different speed limits in the different sections, you'll be OK.

Actually better to keep the revs high (not 6K, but 3K) rather than lug the engine below 2K.

Enjoy the drive, you'll love the car!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Honestly I think some of you are overthinking this. Just take it easy, drive like a normal person during break in and don’t hit the limiter, do crazy burnouts, drag race, timed track events, cannonball runs, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Unrelated, but I cannot WAIT to drive blue ridge later this year in my G80. Definitely varied RPM in those curves
Looking forward to it as well. Last time I drove it was in Virginia in a Miata. Given the low speed limits and traffic, that's probably a better choice for that part of the drive, but still should be a blast!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to it as well. Last time I drove it was in Virginia in a Miata. Given the low speed limits and traffic, that's probably a better choice for that part of the drive, but still should be a blast!
Last time I was there it was at dusk in the heaviest fog I've ever seen. Totally surreal.

(Thread jack sorry but this was one of my top driving experiences ever on one of my favorite roads)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0