home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #23
bmwmastertech
Rep
Drives: All Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
How would the tech not have anything to do with the warranty issue? In order for the work to be approved by warranty it has to be approved by BMW. If the fault code pops up and you have issues that can be caused by said tuning, obviously that can affect warranty work and the work order can be rejected.

I'm not trying to turn this into a warranty/tune debate (which has obviously been beat to death), I'm just reporting the bulletin I saw posted by BMW last week. Use that information how you please!

Exactly he doesn’t understand that things are different now. Techs will not work on your vehicle until it is reviewed by BMW. This is when under warranty because of this warning that will alert them and BMW. The techs won’t get paid for the repairs unless it is approved.
Appreciate 3
Game7404.00
Ibiza3611.50
Vervain397.50
      12-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #24
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmastertech View Post
Exactly he doesn’t understand that things are different now. Techs will not work on your vehicle until it is reviewed by BMW. This is when under warranty because of this warning that will alert them and BMW. The techs won’t get paid for the repairs unless it is approved.
Exactly.

Thanks for chiming in.
      12-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #25
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

His accent was hot lol 😂

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:31 AM   #26
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
As I understand it there are two companies that I am aware of that are advertising and selling tunes for the Gxx cars. One is G-Power located in Germany and the other is NV Motorsports in England. G-Power has two dealers in the U.S. so does this mean that they are able to tune the Gxx? I don't understand the Femtevo connnection and maybe someone could chime in that does know the details. Perhaps Femtevo has performed the ecu unlock, at a price, for these two companies and then the two companies have performed the software tuning?
These companies will take your ECU and send it to Femtoevo to unlock. When it comes back, they will tune the car.
And they shouldn't be the only ones. According to Femtoevo, any tuner can tune the car with whatever Tuning suite they want as long as the ECU has been unlocked first and they have the Femtoevo flasher.
This is accurate.

And, some companies (like us ) have the full G80 M3/4 30 thousand page function sheet and every single table defined in the ECU, so no adaptation is necessary from the previous MG1 in the X3M. Nonetheless, it appears they have done a nice job tuning this car. However, the full potential can only be realized with all of the factory definitions and information on hand.

Once the ECU is flashable, it's all about your tuners experience and the information they have available to them.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 06:24 AM   #27
rosenbergendo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT3RS, F80 M3,997

Super curious what this tool would read on a JB4 tuned car that was removed prior to service.
Quote:
No link. This was a bulletin posted by BMW to dealerships on 11/23.

Exert:

Beginning on November 23, 2021 the BMW Technical Support Team is pleased to announce the rollout of the “ISTA Aftermarket Engine Tuning Detection and Repair Authorization” process.

This process, recently published as service bulletin B00 04 21, describes the procedure to address vehicles which have been identified by ISTA Aftermarket Engine Tuning Detection.

Vehicles identified by ISTA Aftermarket Engine Tuning Detection will alert technicians via:

• Pop-up message in ISTA

• Fault code S 0777 in the fault memory list
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #28
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post
Super curious what this tool would read on a JB4 tuned car that was removed prior to service.
piggyback tunes are detectable also. Even if you remove it and it comes in for warranty work on the engine they can still detect the tune by looking at out of spec parameters.

BMW has finally caught up to Audi in terms of flagging cars. rip
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3570.00
chenry2357.50
      12-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
piggyback tunes are detectable also. Even if you remove it and it comes in for warranty work on the engine they can still detect the tune by looking at out of spec parameters.

I've been hearing this since 2007 but hundreds of thousands of tuned BMWs are tuned and not having any issues (this forum would be filled with flagged cars stories).

BMW is just not that concerned about tunes and the dealerships turn a blind eye

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      12-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #30
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I've been hearing this since 2007 but hundreds of thousands of tuned BMWs are tuned and not having any issues (this forum would be filled with flagged cars stories).

While you're right about the past, it's possible that this new system may just change that.
      12-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #31
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
In order for the work to be approved by warranty it has to be approved by BMW. If the fault code pops up and you have issues that can be caused by said tuning, obviously that can affect warranty work and the work order can be rejected.
Not trying to be an instigator here but how is this any different then what's always been in place regarding a tech's (and BMW's) awareness of ECU/DME logs? Unless this new system is meant to stop all service on a modded vehicle regardless if there's any engine issue or not. Definitely need some clarification because if this is the case that'll spell the end of the ///M division for enthusiasts that enjoy implementing engine modifications.
      12-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #32
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While you're right about the past, it's possible that this new system may just change that.
anything is possible but so far there is no evidence that anything has changed.

Coming from someone with a leased G82, fully modded

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #33
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
Not trying to be an instigator here but how is this any different then what's always been in place regarding a tech's (and BMW's) awareness of ECU/DME logs? Unless this new system is meant to stop all service on a modded vehicle regardless if there's any engine issue or not. Definitely need some clarification because if this is the case that'll spell the end of the ///M division for enthusiasts that enjoy implementing engine modifications.
Good question. I don't have an answer for you. As far as I know this bulletin states that there is a new fault code that alerts technicians about possible aftermarket tuning. I believe they must then log that fault code when submitting a warranty work order.
      12-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #34
bmwmastertech
Rep

Quote:

Guys this is mis information every vehicle is being recorded in FASTA which is BMWs backend. Not all flagged vehicles are being relayed to customers. You bring your G82 fully modded into a dealer for anything other than maintenance and it will be recorded and flagged. The tuning SIB is the documentation to prove BMW has changed it stance. You are fully correct BMW hasn’t cared about tuning in the past but things are different now they have an entire team working on just this topic. Hence the SIB that is now published. Don’t talk about death of the car enthusiast it is just pay to play. Don’t modify your vehicle outside of factory specs and then expect coverage. BMW will take you to court with all the data pulled from your DME and will win.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #35
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I assume it’s not as simple as clearing this snitch code from memory, but I’ve seen dumber things from big companies… hopefully time will tell more about how all this works.
      12-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #36
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:

Guys this is mis information every vehicle is being recorded in FASTA which is BMWs backend. Not all flagged vehicles are being relayed to customers. You bring your G82 fully modded into a dealer for anything other than maintenance and it will be recorded and flagged. The tuning SIB is the documentation to prove BMW has changed it stance. You are fully correct BMW hasn’t cared about tuning in the past but things are different now they have an entire team working on just this topic. Hence the SIB that is now published. Don’t talk about death of the car enthusiast it is just pay to play. Don’t modify your vehicle outside of factory specs and then expect coverage. BMW will take you to court with all the data pulled from your DME and will win.
If you bring your G whatever in for the radio not working , window/ sunroof not working or anything such as that, they are covering it!! With being modded. You have a power train issue, you fucked
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #37
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbergendo View Post

They knew on the F series to
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #38
bmwmastertech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I assume it’s not as simple as clearing this snitch code from memory, but I’ve seen dumber things from big companies… hopefully time will tell more about how all this works.
Unfortunately it’s not as easy as clearing fault memory. I can’t tell you more as we need to stay one step ahead of the tuners. The honest truth is most items that fail will be covered under warranty injectors, water pump, ignition coils etc. when your engine fails or transmission blows up that is when warranty could be denied for tuning. I say could because it is up to each regional representatives discretion to cover or not. I can say safely that 99% of major driveline failures will fall under no coverage.

Last edited by bmwmastertech; 12-02-2021 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #39
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Unfortunately it’s not as easy as clearing fault memory. I can’t tell you more as we need to stay one step ahead of the tuners. The honest truth is most items that fail will be covered under warranty injectors, water pump, ignition coils etc. when your engine fails or transmission blows up that is when warranty could be denied for tuning. I say could because it is up to each regional representatives discretion to cover or not. I can say safely that 99% of major driveline failures will fall under no coverage.
Duh!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #40
bmwmastertech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Duh!!! Lol
Actually it’s more like we are always one step behind the tuners not ahead. Always a game of catch up.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #41
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Duh!!! Lol
Actually it’s more like we are always one step behind the tuners not ahead. Always a game of catch up.
I hear you. I just laugh when people think if they blow the motor or tranny they are getting cover. Ha ha ha. Never going to happen. Been there done that.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13442.00
      12-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #42
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same story for the last 15 years. Disclaimers but no data or real-life examples.

my car was taken a few times, not flagged no issues.
Thousands of others cars are in the same boat.
The only time I have seen any issues is with catastrophic damages and/or very advanced builds.

Again, whether they can tell or not is not my point. My point is they do not do much to stop it unless you damage your engine.

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 12-02-2021 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:03 PM   #43
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

Quote:

I agree 100%. My past BMW's were tuned and the dealership/techs were aware. I always told them not to touch the ecu. They could not have cared less about the tuning.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #44
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still been the same story for the last 15 years. Disclaimers but no data or real-life examples.

my car was taken a few times, not flagged no issues.
Thousands of others cars are in the same boat.
The only time I have seen any issues is with catastrophic damages and/or very advanced builds.

Again, whether they can tell or not is not my point. My point is they do not do much to stop it unless you damage your engine.
Yes yes and yes
Appreciate 0