11-12-2021, 04:58 AM   #463
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg80sc View Post
Not sure what size my guy used but it’s extremely loud with only secondary cat delete and x-pipe.

Good thing is I have the valve controller so it does get pretty quiet inside with it closed and ASD off

About 500-700 to build a whole new mid pipe, california price so cheaper for lot of people. My guy did a very good job
What shop did you use? That looks like a quality job.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #464
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

Has anyone cut open the rear most resonator to see if it actually has an X crossover inside. Can anyone that has removed the rear resonator post pics of the inlet our outlets holes showing the inside? I am hearing mixed answers on if it is an X inside or not. If it is an X, the most cost effective mod to me seems to be to just straight pipe the secondary cats and forward resonator, while leaving the rear "X" resonator in place. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #465
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyM5 View Post
Has anyone cut open the rear most resonator to see if it actually has an X crossover inside. Can anyone that has removed the rear resonator post pics of the inlet our outlets holes showing the inside? I am hearing mixed answers on if it is an X inside or not. If it is an X, the most cost effective mod to me seems to be to just straight pipe the secondary cats and forward resonator, while leaving the rear "X" resonator in place. Thanks
It's more of a resonance chamber.

Both pipes do merge there and exhaust has the option of flowing out of either side once it enters that final chamber.

Maybe it's not technically considered an x pipe but it is in fact the spot where bmw merges the exhaust pulses.
Appreciate 2
MannyM5195.00
RugbyBro7572.50
      11-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #466
abdulisraddd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 X Dravit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg80sc View Post
Not sure what size my guy used but it’s extremely loud with only secondary cat delete and x-pipe.

Good thing is I have the valve controller so it does get pretty quiet inside with it closed and ASD off

About 500-700 to build a whole new mid pipe, california price so cheaper for lot of people. My guy did a very good job

Would love to know where this is! I’m in Calabasas CA so not too far from you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #467
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

I like what I see here. Thinking outside the box.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #468
eg80sc
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulisraddd View Post
Would love to know where this is! I’m in Calabasas CA so not too far from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
What shop did you use? That looks like a quality job.
Cypress Muffler, in Cypress CA I’ve been going to him for 8 years; everyone I sent to him have been happy with the quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #469
kbkura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2021 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyM5 View Post
Just removed both resonators and secondary cats yesterday… can confirm that the resonator towards the exhaust (away from engine) is in fact an "X." I'm sorry, I didn't take a pic of it. But both technician and I took a look inside and confirmed.

He suggested I still remove it and install an X along with straight pipes from downpipe as the X resonator would still muffle sound somewhat. Not entirely sure if it is true, but went through with it.

Will update with sound impressions after a few drives!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
m20e30871143.00
MannyM5195.00
      11-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #470
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I posted in here a while back that you should run a H or X to merge the pulses, otherwise it would sound more raspy. This was the one thing you could do to make F8X sound even worse IMO, and I imagined it would do something similar on G8X. This system is unmerged, and to me it sounds much raspier / tinnier and not good; it sorely needs an H in there somewhere. Valves closed has merging thru the muffler, valves open is primarily unmerged as most pulses bypass the muffler completely. No offense to the guy running it of course, just my take. And if you guys like a more “S55” type sound, this would certainly get you there.

Edit: For anyone who replaced both resonators with straight pipes (unmerged), the secondary cats still absorb enough sound/rasp that it doesn’t sound as raspy as this, however, this will be the outcome if you remove your secondary cats. The factory resonators are merge points and do not act as a pure straight thru (same design as F8X with perforations).

Last edited by RugbyBro; 11-27-2021 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
OwnerF16820.50
      11-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #471
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I posted in here a while back that you should run a H or X to merge the pulses, otherwise it would sound more raspy. This was the one thing you could do to make F8X sound even worse IMO, and I imagined it would do something similar on G8X. This system is unmerged, and to me it sounds much raspier / tinnier and not good; it sorely needs an H in there somewhere. Valves closed has merging thru the muffler, valves open is primarily unmerged as most pulses bypass the muffler completely. No offense to the guy running it of course, just my take. And if you guys like a more “S55” type sound, this would certainly get you there.

Edit: For anyone who replaced both resonators with straight pipes (unmerged), the secondary cats still absorb enough sound/rasp that it doesn’t sound as raspy as this, however, this will be the outcome if you remove your secondary cats. The factory resonators are merge points and do not act as a pure straight thru (same design as F8X with perforations).
Concur, I have my secondary cats intact but went straight back with this sound (Im fine with it):

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:32 PM   #472
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburks View Post
Sorry for delay Celestion
I used miller muffler in Lewisville. I like them because they’re cheap, clean welds & don’t ask questions about me pulling the secondaries.

Otherwise all other work thus far has been performed at Cedar Performance Downtown Dallas/cedars/ deep ellum area. They do do g the same for you there as well, but it’ll run considerably more than the sub 400 amount I paid for dual res, replace with X and cut secondaries.

On a different note- after adding my JB4, I SWEAR my car is just slightly audibly a touch more tame post piggy back… placebo or it cleaned up some of the trims is all I can think of.
No problem. Thanks for the details!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #473
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

here's a clip of my g82 xdrive with modified exhaust

secondary cats deleted
both resonators replaced with a single x-pipe

i have vsc valve controller and if I turn of valves and put in comfort, 0 drone at 80, 90, and 100 cruising

Appreciate 1
OwnerF16820.50
      12-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #474
kbkura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2021 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80M4ROCKS View Post
here's a clip of my g82 xdrive with modified exhaust

secondary cats deleted
both resonators replaced with a single x-pipe

i have vsc valve controller and if I turn of valves and put in comfort, 0 drone at 80, 90, and 100 cruising

Very nice sounding! I'm happy with my results also after about 1-2 weeks with mods. I've gotten quite a few compliments on the sound improvement. With valves open, I am a tiny bit concerned about neighbor complaints… but I haven't heard anything yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #475
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Has anyone done just a secondary cat delete? I wanna delete the 2nd cat to maybe even free a tiny bit of power. Also, would deleting the second cat screw with my warranty? Yes I'm that type of guy, but I don't think it will since I've seen ppl not getting any CEL's and stuff. Also does anyone know the size of the piping for the secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #476
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
Has anyone done just a secondary cat delete? I wanna delete the 2nd cat to maybe even free a tiny bit of power. Also, would deleting the second cat screw with my warranty? Yes I'm that type of guy, but I don't think it will since I've seen ppl not getting any CEL's and stuff. Also does anyone know the size of the piping for the secondary cats?
removing the cats won't void your warranty but will create problems for you if the car is leased because you are cutting and removing OEM parts vs replacing the OEM part with an aftermarket one.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
OwnerF16820.50
      12-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #477
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
removing the cats won't void your warranty but will create problems for you if the car is leased because you are cutting and removing OEM parts vs replacing the OEM part with an aftermarket one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Gotcha, thank you. Fortunately my car isn't a lease, but does anyone know the pipe sizing to get it done?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #478
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Haven't seen that done,

But I really don't think it would be loud enough.

Also I'm pretty sure as long as your primary cats are in place you're good to go as far as warranty is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #479
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Haven't seen that done,

Also I'm pretty sure as long as your primary cats are in place you're good to go as far as warranty is concerned.
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't seen that done,

I only want to make it a little louder, and Ok thanks all I need know are the dimensions!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #480
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Which resonator in the OEM setup has the crossover in it?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #481
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion View Post
Which resonator in the OEM setup has the crossover in it?
Largest rear one
Appreciate 1
Celestion247.50
      12-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #482
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Largest rear one
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #483
VonB
Army Welder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3   [7.00]
Here's another one to add y'all, single mid pipe from InkedCustom.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #484
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonB View Post
Here's another one to add y'all, single mid pipe from InkedCustom.
What's their pricing on that?
Appreciate 0