BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #23
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Aren't there clear bra-like wraps for windshields? (I know they have them for headlights.) Anyone have any experience with them?

Update Looks like OP mentioned Exoshield as one option

Seems like cell phone manufacturers have been working with Corning to improve Gorilla Glass for years...wonder if there's an automotive applicability to it.

Last edited by NightWriter; 11-24-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #24
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i SOLD

Got my first tiny tiny spec (in front of drivers side so very annoying) today after only 500 miles and very careful driving. From my experience the PPF for windshield looks weird as you can tell there's something on the windshield and it will still show knicks and such after a while as well.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Aren't there clear bra-like wraps for windshields? (I know they have them for headlights.) Anyone have any experience with them?

Update Looks like OP mentioned Exoshield as one option
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58SP View Post
Got my first tiny tiny spec (in front of drivers side so very annoying) today after only 500 miles and very careful driving. From my experience the PPF for windshield looks weird as you can tell there's something on the windshield and it will still show knicks and such after a while as well.
Here is an installation video. I've seen exosheild in person and I was not able to tell something was applied to the windshield. Maybe over time once the film is all beat up by rocks, at that time I might have the film reapplied. It's better than nothing.

The same guys in the video below applied PPF to my entire car. I will be taking my car to them for Exoshield once I have my crack fixed.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #26
frank70
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
it is pure luck IMO. I once had 2 cracks in one trip. In some cases I thought the rock was a bullet but nothing more than cosmetic damage. All on BMWs. I believe where it hits and angle of impact also matter, the edges seem to be more susceptible.
You are right. The main factor is where the windshield gets hit. Around the edges the stresses in the windshield are high. If it gets hit in that area it cracks very easily.

I think also things like temperatures and mainly temperature differences between inside the car and outside have some effect. If for instance you drive in hot summer with the airconditioning on max, or in cold winter with the heating on max this adds to the stresses on the windshield, and thus it will crack more easily.

I do not think there is something like a M light windshield.
There is a option 'Acoustic glass' though on the M3/4 (in Europe anyway, not sure about US cars), but these are only the side windows. I assume cars with this option will have thicker side windows. I have it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #27
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I had a Chevy trailblazer with 50k miles and it looked as if I took a sander to the windshield due to the rock chips. Conversely I've had BMWs that have held up pretty well to big direct hits. I've replaced 3 BMW windshields, 1 on an x3, 1 on x5, and 1 on my M550. I think it's all a matter of poor timing. I wouldn't say that any of my windshields seemed stronger than others. On my last M3, never had any issues.
Appreciate 1
r32e9037.50
      12-02-2021, 06:56 AM   #28
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Comp XDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Quote:
it is pure luck IMO. I once had 2 cracks in one trip. In some cases I thought the rock was a bullet but nothing more than cosmetic damage. All on BMWs. I believe where it hits and angle of impact also matter, the edges seem to be more susceptible.
You are right. The main factor is where the windshield gets hit. Around the edges the stresses in the windshield are high. If it gets hit in that area it cracks very easily.

I think also things like temperatures and mainly temperature differences between inside the car and outside have some effect. If for instance you drive in hot summer with the airconditioning on max, or in cold winter with the heating on max this adds to the stresses on the windshield, and thus it will crack more easily.

I do not think there is something like a M light windshield.
There is a option 'Acoustic glass' though on the M3/4 (in Europe anyway, not sure about US cars), but these are only the side windows. I assume cars with this option will have thicker side windows. I have it on my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Quote:

Yeah good point, it's more like double glazing and according to BMW the acoustic glazing is standard on the windshields.

"The acoustic glazing on the front side windows complements the standard acoustic glazing on the front windscreen and significantly reduces the level of noise for everyone inside the vehicle. It minimises noise created by the outside surroundings and flow of air, as well as by the engine, tyres and windscreen wipers. Music listeners and hands-free device users in particular will appreciate the difference this makes."
      12-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #29
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I can now confirm these things absolutely suck. Tiny rock and whole windshield is cracked accross 5 minutes later. I'm so pissed. Safelite does not recognize my VIN, are our windshields same as G20?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #30
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
I can now confirm these things absolutely suck. Tiny rock and whole windshield is cracked accross 5 minutes later. I'm so pissed. Safelite does not recognize my VIN, are our windshields same as G20?
That sucks
See if they can repair it and stop the crack from spreading.
Damage is not in direct line of sight, so I'd have it repaired until another major crack if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:29 AM   #31
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
That sucks
See if they can repair it and stop the crack from spreading.
Damage is not in direct line of sight, so I'd have it repaired until another major crack if I were you.
Filling the chip won't stop that one from spreading, it already started.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #32
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The whole thing just spread to whole windshield after 1 mile of driving
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #33
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edofloat View Post
Filling the chip won't stop that one from spreading, it already started.
And I think they don't generally fix cracks that extend to the edge of the windshield. You may need a replacement and that's actually a good thing because fixes are not magical and you'll never unsee that the windshield is not like new.

Anyway, this is why I'm having dynoflex installed on my windshield. I got a rock chip on my X5 two months into ownership that needed to be filled in - it was a tiny thing but I cannot unsee where it is (looks like a dried water spot). My BMW before that one had 5 years of wear on the windshield that was just horrible to look at in bright sunlight. But no cracks thankfully.

Never leaving a BMW windshield naked again.
      12-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #34
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The whole thing just spread to whole windshield after 1 mile of driving
Yeah, you're getting a new windshield. Get dynoflex or exoshield or whatever this time. And get the work done at the dealership (the windshield replacement). People have complained about wind noise, and other weirdness after getting work done elsewhere.
      12-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #35
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear. I agree these windshields are too fragile, despite what others say. I had one crack which was repaired by safelite, I have a 2022 M3. They had trouble finding the car in their system originally, but I told them it's the same as the 2021 models.

The crack they repaired is still visible, it's like a spec on the windshield and my eyes always draw to it, can't unsee it. I can't wait to replace the windshield, right now I have only 1600 miles and the windshield looks like it's been sand blasted.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #36
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear. I agree these windshields are too fragile, despite what others say. I had one crack which was repaired by safelite, I have a 2022 M3. They had trouble finding the car in their system originally, but I told them it's the same as the 2021 models.

The crack they repaired is still visible, it's like a spec on the windshield and my eyes always draw to it, can't unsee it. I can't wait to replace the windshield, right now I have only 1600 miles and the windshield looks like it's been sand blasted.
I am having Safelite replace mine tomorrow. Not worried about quality of glass (found it to be the same or better just no logo), but very concerned with them reusing the molding etc sensors etc. let's hope they do a good job like on my M240i. Planning to PPF it asap after
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #37
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
I am having Safelite replace mine tomorrow. Not worried about quality of glass (found it to be the same or better just no logo), but very concerned with them reusing the molding etc sensors etc. let's hope they do a good job like on my M240i. Planning to PPF it asap after
Make sure you are in the vehicle when they test drive it after it's replaced. Or better yet, tell them you want to drive it yourself to make sure the censors are working correctly.

I had a HORRIBLE experience whereas the tech literally stole my car and didn't advise it had to be driven.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #38
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Did you have the option to select OEM glass?

Just make sure the new glass is compatible with heads up display and is acoustic laminated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #39
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have the option to select OEM glass?

Just make sure the new glass is compatible with heads up display and is acoustic laminated.
I don't have HUD. I did tell them of lane assist, auto headlights, frontal collision etc
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

UGGGHH.. My X5 with just 4000 miles had a chip that was filled in. And today, I saw an even bigger chip on the windshield but thankfully out of the direct line of sight.

My M4's getting the windshield protection along with the full body PPF. Seeing what's happening with the newer dog poo BMW windshields, I'm going to get the new chip filled in and then get the protection on top of that too.
      12-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #41
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:

UGGGHH.. My X5 with just 4000 miles had a chip that was filled in. And today, I saw an even bigger chip on the windshield but thankfully out of the direct line of sight.

My M4's getting the windshield protection along with the full body PPF. Seeing what's happening with the newer dog poo BMW windshields, I'm going to get the new chip filled in and then get the protection on top of that too.
I just spoke to a reputable local PPF installer. He mentioned that out of the two options in the market for windshields, none of them are really worth it. They only last a year or two before they start getting marks and spots, not to mention they are not truly invisible so you will see distortion or that there is a film on the glass. So I guess I will get the windshield installed and keep living in constant fear. Second time this happens to me in less than two years. Now I am going to have a brand new M3 with aftermarket glass and reused moldings
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #42
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

That sucks. Hopefully it's less than the size of a dollar bill so it can be repaired.

I regret not getting exoshield when I was having my car PPF'd. My entire car is protected but the windshield. I'm going in this weekend to get exoshield applied.

With exoshield you can purchase extended warranty which I would recommend. For $100 more if your windshield was to crack beyond repair they'll pay $750 to have your windshield replaced. My insurance deductible is $500 for comprehensive, so $750 is plenty to cover my deductible. They have different tiers for coverage, so check with your installer. If you're going with a different brand just check if they have some sort of extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #43
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just spoke to a reputable local PPF installer. He mentioned that out of the two options in the market for windshields, none of them are really worth it. They only last a year or two before they start getting marks and spots, not to mention they are not truly invisible so you will see distortion or that there is a film on the glass. So I guess I will get the windshield installed and keep living in constant fear. Second time this happens to me in less than two years. Now I am going to have a brand new M3 with aftermarket glass and reused moldings
I'm getting it with the full knowledge that the film is not expected to be flawless after the first year. The cost to remove it will be $120 if needed. My detailing company was upfront about what expectations I should have with the film (same things you were told) - they even let me drive around their loaner car to see if I was okay with them. The distortions they said existed on the loaner was not something I could really notice myself. I couldn't really make out that there was a film there even.

I don't like chips that require repairs (the repair is always visible) and I hate pitting that accumulates over time. This is my only option besides replacing the windshield every few years or not driving the car. And replacing the windshield is never going to be like a factory install. And I don't want to deal with reinstalling the tint, radar detector and dashcam.

To give you an idea of how bad it is here, the least busy Safelite location here can only give me an appointment mid-March to fill the crack on the X5.
      12-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #44
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:

I wish there was a dislike button, I am sorry this happened. My detail guy says they have a ppf for glass now to use on windshields..