11-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #23
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
Of course, but sometimes people need to see an official release from a company versus the vast experience of people who drive in these climates.....
Totally agree. But i think if you look up any of the major companies and their summer tire offerings, on their website will state the same thing.

It just goes without saying. Like people wouldn't take their winter tires and drive them in summer lol. My cousin actually did that. The tires were literally melting to the asphalt during one of the heat waves lol. It was hilarious.

But yeah summer tires for summer, winter tires for winter. I won't be a hypocrite though. I'm currently still driving my M3C in this weather, with the michelins lol. It was too late to do a winter setup so i'm rocking the summers this winter but i'm only taking the car out when the roads are dry. Then next winter i'll get a proper winter set.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #24
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

I'm in NYC as well, I have been doing this swap with Winter tires on my M for almost ten years… yes, it's necessary. Unless you're not going to drive it at ALL… I swapped tires today (now I rub which pisses me off, but that's another story) and last night leaving the gym, it was 38 degrees and I spun. Traction on, just pulling out of the gym lot at 11 pm and I slipped.

Once the ground is below 45 the tires have no grip… it becomes dangerous. Legitimately. So I advise you switch, or don't drive the car.

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 1
superbrew134.00
      12-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #25
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
Do you need a winter specific snow tire? No. But you absolutely do not want to drive your summer tires in anything near or under 45 degrees. The rubber hardens up and you lose significant traction when turning and braking. I am going with Continental all-weather tires for the late fall through spring.
This.
OP, I had a set of winter tires/wheels for my old M2C, and I live in GA.
Overkill? Maybe. But better safe than sorry.

Please don't drive the car below 45 degrees even if it's sunny and dry out.
Weather could turn nasty real quick without much warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #26
Yas_sir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80

As others have mentioned, even if you have AWD you should absolutely not drive in very cold weather with summer/performance tires. Among other things, the rubber compound used will keep summer tires rock hard in cold temperatures, which could cause you to lose traction or have poor breaking.

There have also been tests done where RWD with winter tires does miles better in snow than an AWD car with summer tires.

Living in the northeast especially, you don't want to get caught in these roads with ice and slush on the summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #27
mlover789
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IG: m3npae - M3C G80

How would rwd with AS tires do in the winter? It's around 20 to 40f here no snow. I don't want to commit to an awd x drive nor winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:57 PM   #28
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
How would rwd with AS tires do in the winter? It's around 20 to 40f here no snow. I don't want to commit to an awd x drive nor winter tires.
would be fine I think as long as you drive responsibly. Plenty of people here in WI on all seasons. Without snow, I don't think AWD vs RWD will be as big a factor.
      01-26-2022, 12:01 AM   #29
DMD
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Xdrive + winter tires =
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #30
carsforlife12
save the manuals
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlover789 View Post
Currently running Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on my rwd manual m3 and couldn't be happier with the selection. I have a suv for heavy winter days but otherwise the m3 is my daily in central Midwest. Tires handle well even under full throttle once warmed up a bit. In light snow I haven't had an issue but haven't tried on heavier snow days. I was nervous to not go the winter tire route but the majority of my drive days are on dry pavement and I couldn't find winters so this allows for a sporty feel without too much compromise. Unsure in hot weather as I changed out early December but so far in 60 degree days they handle without an issue. Love to drive but no plans for track days at this time so performance all seasons fit the bill. With that said, take it slow when cold and wet and leave more room for braking and it's all good. Hope this helps. This M3 is a blast to joy and the vehicle setup even in rwd is amazing.
Appreciate 0