BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Hey guys! I want to pick up a blend mount for my incoming G80. I'm not sure which one I will need. I see a few different options. Can anyone recommend which to get and provide a link? I did already buy their mirror tap kit a bit ago.

I have the Uniden R7. I know this incoming Mexico blue beast will be a cop magnet.

My G80 will not have the Driving assistance professional package.

Let me know which one you guys think. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
I originally had an R3 so I just bought the upgrade kit for my previous mount. That being said, what I have is the BR7-2017. I do have the driver's assistance package but I really don't think that matters because according to the Blendmount site I should be using BR7-2018 based on my mirror type they show. I think you'd be good with either of these.

HTH

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 2
GixY2K515.00
RockinPA4848.00
      06-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #3
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Hey guys! I want to pick up a blend mount for my incoming G80. Can anyone recommend which to get and provide a link?

I have the Uniden R7. I know this incoming Mexico blue beast will be a cop magnet.
What version did you end up getting? I can't tell the difference in the pictures of the mirrors or the mounts. Haha. I'm thinking maybe one sticks further forward than the other?

I'm also torn between r4 and r8. I haven't ran a full time detector in over 20 years. And now that I love in Miami, just not sure I need it full time, let alone need a r8 with arrows. Haha.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #4
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
Quote:
Hey guys! I want to pick up a blend mount for my incoming G80. Can anyone recommend which to get and provide a link?

What version did you end up getting? I can't tell the difference in the pictures of the mirrors or the mounts. Haha. I'm thinking maybe one sticks further forward than the other?

I'm also torn between r4 and r8. I haven't ran a full time detector in over 20 years. And now that I love in Miami, just not sure I need it full time, let alone need a r8 with arrows. Haha.
Hey man! I got this one. I would go with the R8. That's me, though. Check out VortexRadar.com for tons of info!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bmw noob1391.50
dini_g80188.00
      06-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #5
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey man! I got this one. I would go with the R8. That's me, though. Check out VortexRadar.com for tons of info!
I think I have read every article and watched every video he does trying to decide. Haha. So far, the only firm thing I've decided is no v1g2 because I don't want to have to run an app all the time.

How "city" is it where you drive? I am pure city 75+% of the time. Worried about how well lockouts work, otherwise it will just beep nonstop.

Also, In south Florida they use laser when they do traps, so detector pretty much just detects a ticket anyway. Haha.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 11:34 PM   #6
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I think I have read every article and watched every video he does trying to decide. Haha. So far, the only firm thing I've decided is no v1g2 because I don't want to have to run an app all the time.

How "city" is it where you drive? I am pure city 75+% of the time. Worried about how well lockouts work, otherwise it will just beep nonstop.

Also, In south Florida they use laser when they do traps, so detector pretty much just detects a ticket anyway. Haha.
I hear you. I live on the Orange County coast (Southern California). I work in LA. I don't always drive the M3 to work but sometimes I do. I definitely am not in the countryside… lol. Although, some open country roads in this beast sure would be nice! Tons of traffic where we live, unfortunately.

It's essentially 100% city driving I'd say. The uniden has gps and you can tag the false alerts so that it won't beep when something like a grocery store automatic door sets it off. It's been pretty quiet in my opinion during my first few months of use thus far. I just mute the false alarms I encounter, and the detector remembers those based on the gps.

It's definitely not fool proof. I like having it though. It's better than nothing.

I hope this helps… lmk if you have any other questions dude!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #7
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
How far does the detector sit back from the bottom of the review mirror?
I think I have the same mount I transferred over from my M2C, but now it's obstructing the gesture control sensor.
Not a big deal but I wanted to see if it can be adjusted with different brackets.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #8
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hear you. . . .
Alright alright... stop yelling at me...I ordered the r8, blend mount, and mirrortap. Hahaha.

Already have a 2ch dashcam ready for install. Haha.
Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      06-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #9
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
How far does the detector sit back from the bottom of the review mirror?
I think I have the same mount I transferred over from my M2C, but now it's obstructing the gesture control sensor.
Not a big deal but I wanted to see if it can be adjusted with different brackets.
It's pretty flush beneath the rear view mirror. Gesture control still works. With the correct mount, you shouldn't lose any other features/functionality.

Quote:
Quote:
I hear you. . . .
Alright alright... stop yelling at me...I ordered the r8, blend mount, and mirrortap. Hahaha.

Already have a 2ch dashcam ready for install. Haha.
Haha! Lol, nice dude! I wish I waited a few months… I had just ordered the R7 and the damn R8 came out… I'm sure you'll like it. The mirror tap (along w the blendmount) is a must for clean install. Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
bmw noob1391.50
      06-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #10
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For the actual wire tap portio...What color wire from the tap goes into which hole?

And do you just slide wire into the back of the plastic clip, or...????

I have the blend mount, wiretap, and r8 ready for install as soon as I pick up the car! Hopefully will get it Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #11
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
For the actual wire tap portio...What color wire from the tap goes into which hole?

And do you just slide wire into the back of the plastic clip, or...????

I have the blend mount, wiretap, and r8 ready for install as soon as I pick up the car! Hopefully will get it Saturday.
Nice! Check out this thread. Tons of info and pictures of install. I actually had Ben at RG sport throw it in for me when I was at his shop getting my MSS HAS kit installed. I figured it'd take him 5 min (which it did) where as me, 5 hours 😂

Mirror Tap https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1811276
Appreciate 1
bmw noob1391.50
      06-08-2022, 09:52 PM   #12
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I love my uniden R7. I keep mine in highway mode 24/7 (I live in socal) and I dont ever hear it unless there is a cop. On a long highway road trip, it warned me 2 miles before I passed the cop parked under the underpass. I also have mine mounted along the top of the window behind the dot matrix. So if that stuff is hindering it, its not hindering it much. 2 miles range! Uniden all the way!
bmw noob1391.50
      06-08-2022, 11:37 PM   #13
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
I hear you. I live on the Orange County coast (Southern California). I work in LA. I don't always drive the M3 to work but sometimes I do. I definitely am not in the countryside… lol. Although, some open country roads in this beast sure would be nice! Tons of traffic where we live, unfortunately.

It's essentially 100% city driving I'd say. The uniden has gps and you can tag the false alerts so that it won't beep when something like a grocery store automatic door sets it off. It's been pretty quiet in my opinion during my first few months of use thus far. I just mute the false alarms I encounter, and the detector remembers those based on the gps.

It's definitely not fool proof. I like having it though. It's better than nothing.

There should be no such thing as a false alert from an automatic door, in California. Everyone should be running their Radar Detector segmented.

There are settings that you need to program into the detector. K band, is what's used on the automatic doors, K-Band doesn't exist for police, in California, neither does X band or MRCD.

All of that should be turned off. Ka is the only band in California. And even that needs to be segmented, so the detector is only scanning specific bands, which makes the radar detector lock on quicker, because its not scanning the entire Ka range. With a properly segmented R7 I can pick up Ka 34.XXX upto 7 miles away.

Appreciate 2
RockinPA4848.00
bmw noob1391.50
      06-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #14
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
There should be no such thing as a false alert from an automatic door, in California. Everyone should be running their Radar Detector segmented.

There are settings that you need to program into the detector. K band, is what's used on the automatic doors, K-Band doesn't exist for police, in California, neither does X band or MRCD.

All of that should be turned off. Ka is the only band in California. And even that needs to be segmented, so the detector is only scanning specific bands, which makes the radar detector lock on quicker, because its not scanning the entire Ka range. With a properly segmented R7 I can pick up Ka 34.XXX upto 7 miles away.
That's super interesting. I just got my R8 and on my maiden voyage I got a strong K signal for a few miles in the city. It was one of those radar signs that tell you the speed limit and how fast you're going. I knew about MRCD, but wasn't aware of K and X.

If indeed in California the LEO only use Ka that would make it a much simpler setup.

Do you have any references that I can read regarding this?
Appreciate 3
RockinPA4848.00
BIGW0RM3006.50
bmw noob1391.50
      06-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
That's super interesting. I just got my R8 and on my maiden voyage I got a strong K signal for a few miles in the city. It was one of those radar signs that tell you the speed limit and how fast you're going. I knew about MRCD, but wasn't aware of K and X.

If indeed in California the LEO only use Ka that would make it a much simpler setup.

There are also links posted inside this thread for specific states. https://www.rdforum.org/threads/91215/

Appreciate 3
m4ml1721.50
RockinPA4848.00
bmw noob1391.50
      06-09-2022, 12:21 AM   #16
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
There are also links posted inside this thread for specific states. https://www.rdforum.org/threads/91215/
Crazy... looks like the R8 is a bit overkill for CA. Only two segments in the Ka band for CA.

What about lasers? That wasn't addressed.

Edit: There is something on the image that says Lasers are banned in CA. If that's the case... R8 is WAY overkill.
Appreciate 1
bmw noob1391.50
      06-09-2022, 12:29 AM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Crazy... looks like the R8 is a bit overkill for CA. Only two segments in the Ka band for CA.

What about lasers? That wasn't addressed.

Edit: There is something on the image that says Lasers are banned in CA. If that's the case... R8 is WAY overkill.
Laser detection (or jammers rather) is pretty much banned everywhere. I have my R7 segmented in like 5 bands. I have an R3 and 2 R7s. I plan on getting rid of one of the R7 in my G82 and getting an R8. Here are some more specific settings for California, itself.

https://www.rdforum.org/threads/107496/

Appreciate 2
m4ml1721.50
bmw noob1391.50
      06-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #18
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I am definitely not a radar detector expert (clearly)- lol. I have only had one previously in my 2016 F80. This is my second one and first Uniden.

I will need to pick your brain on how to adjust these settings more. This is all very awesome info! I had heard that there may be some k band police activity… but if not, I'll gladly nix it. I still get it going off once in a while and it's always K band.

I relied on vortex radars website for the settings I'm currently using. Any link describing how I can segment the Ka? Maybe on vortex radars site… I'll have to look when I get some free time. Thank you for weighing in man! I appreciate it.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13014.00
bmw noob1391.50
      06-10-2022, 10:17 AM   #19
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am definitely not a radar detector expert (clearly)- lol. I have only had one previously in my 2016 F80. This is my second one and first Uniden.

I will need to pick your brain on how to adjust these settings more. This is all very awesome info! I had heard that there may be some k band police activity… but if not, I'll gladly nix it. I still get it going off once in a while and it's always K band.

I relied on vortex radars website for the settings I'm currently using. Any link describing how I can segment the Ka? Maybe on vortex radars site… I'll have to look when I get some free time. Thank you for weighing in man! I appreciate it.
It would take me forever to explain it all, typing it out. Best let Vortex explain it. Pay particular attention to the segmentation portion. Check the description for the chapters. 15:39 starts the segmentation section. If it gives you the warm fuzzies, you can keep K-Band on. I've been running K band off for about the past 4-5 years.

Appreciate 3
bmw noob1391.50
m4ml1721.50
RockinPA4848.00
      06-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #20
jct_m3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Garage List
Hey guys sorry that i'm late to this. Would you say the R7 is better than the valentine? i live in NY and would just need it for highway driving.
      06-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #21
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
So far, the only firm thing I've decided is no v1g2 because I don't want to have to run an app all the time.

Sorry, also late to the thread...
I have v1g2 with Blendmount and mirror tap. (Not the best phot, but the only one I have at the moment).
100% satisfied. Range, accuracy and the direction indicators have all been license savers more than once.
There is an app you can use it with it. I have it on my phone but never use it - you certainly don't need to run it all the time.
Initially with a windshield mount I had the issue of the gesture control sensor tripping the rear laser alert. Issue has not repeated with the Blendmount location.
Attached Images

RockinPA4848.00
      06-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #22
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I missed this post. I dont know of any record of K band being used for radar signs. I'm not saying it's not possible, I've just never seen or heard of it. Luckily, the radar signs don't issue tickets, or record cars passing.

Appreciate 2
m4ml1721.50
RockinPA4848.00