BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #23
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtopp View Post
Where is everyone attaching their tender? I just popped the hood for a few seconds, and it feels like the more "permanent" ring connectors that came with the CTEK tender won't work, the BMW remote terminals in the front are too large or not removable to cinch those rings down. I'd like to use those ring connectors since it'll make it simple to use the quick connect on the CTEK, not have to get my hands dirty or whatever if I'm plugging and unplugging the tender. So is there a way to do that that I'm missing? Or do people use the alligator clamps under the hood? Or are people wiring to the battery directly?
I'm just using the alligator clamps on the under the hood posts. Seems to work fine and easy to hook and unhook at least for myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #24
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Great question - I'm in the same boat, probably going to park mine for all of the winter, not springing for winter tires this season and I don't even know if it'll be through the break-in miles at the rate I'm going. So any recommendations for a good tender would be appreciated from those that use them.
BMW may not offer the best battery tender, but they'll stand behind it, if you utilize one and the battery dies or fails. Given the cost of a new BMW battery, that breaks any ties in my book!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #25
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Where is everyone attaching their tender? I just popped the hood for a few seconds, and it feels like the more "permanent" ring connectors that came with the CTEK tender won't work, the BMW remote terminals in the front are too large or not removable to cinch those rings down. I'd like to use those ring connectors since it'll make it simple to use the quick connect on the CTEK, not have to get my hands dirty or whatever if I'm plugging and unplugging the tender. So is there a way to do that that I'm missing? Or do people use the alligator clamps under the hood? Or are people wiring to the battery directly?
I use the alligator clamps. I've never dirtied my hands doing this but I guess it depends on how clean the car is.
      12-10-2021, 12:16 AM   #26
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Battery Tender ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
You live in a warmer climate it looks like. In saying that especially the way BMW's charge it wouldn't hurt to throw one on there every couple of weeks to freshen it up or you could just hook it up Sunday night and take it off the next weekend to make sure your good. Like others have said it's pretty cheap insurance to make sure your battery stays good.
Anyone...opinion for a Battery Tender... to use on my G82 M4 Comp. Only driving the car once or twice a week.

Amazon Battery Tender 12 Volt Battery Charger, 15 Amp / 8 Amp / 2 Amp Selectable Chemistry by Deltran - 022-0234-DL-WH ????
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 07:52 AM   #27
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
Anyone...opinion for a Battery Tender... to use on my G82 M4 Comp. Only driving the car once or twice a week.

Amazon Battery Tender 12 Volt Battery Charger, 15 Amp / 8 Amp / 2 Amp Selectable Chemistry by Deltran - 022-0234-DL-WH ????
Haven't looked at that tender but make sure it's for lithium-ion batteries.
I just went with the OEM BMW charger. $80 some bucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Costco has the Battery Tender 4.5 amp with a lithium setting for $45

https://www.costco.com/battery-tende...100679769.html
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #29
ElHeffe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many

I bought the CTEK Lithium charger. The Costco model above looks fine too.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-926-L...dp/B00EUF6UM8/
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 04:52 PM   #30
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

It’s a little irritating honestly that you have to be careful on when to charge up these batteries and you have to avoid below 32° temperatures in charging them when you may need a charge the most — very bizarre. I wonder how the car is designed from the alternator standpoint to charge the battery when you’re parked outside/ somewhere cold? It’s very strange
I’m wondering what the official line is from BMW engineers of what the car does when it’s sitting outside in freezing temperatures— how does the battery get a charge from the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 05:04 PM   #31
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
It’s a little irritating honestly that you have to be careful on when to charge up these batteries and you have to avoid below 32° temperatures in charging them when you may need a charge the most — very bizarre. I wonder how the car is designed from the alternator standpoint to charge the battery when you’re parked outside/ somewhere cold? It’s very strange
I’m wondering what the official line is from BMW engineers of what the car does when it’s sitting outside in freezing temperatures— how does the battery get a charge from the car?
Yeah not really sure. So much technology and so many variables. No perfect systems thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:18 PM   #32
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
And that’s just the battery to start your car. Tesla owned in cold climate are finding this out the hard way. It’s a problem the media won’t report on either because it’s another black eye for the big green lie.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:11 PM   #33
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper View Post
And that’s just the battery to start your car. Tesla owned in cold climate are finding this out the hard way. It’s a problem the media won’t report on either because it’s another black eye for the big green lie.
Yep totally not reporting on it (from your "big green lie"-aligned publications, no less)

Why people deny climate change in 2024 is just astounding to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 05:51 PM   #34
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Yep totally not reporting on it (from your "big green lie"-aligned publications, no less)

Why people deny climate change in 2024 is just astounding to me.
The lie is battery cars are going to solve the problem.
They are just as damaging to the environment in other ways.

Hydrogen power is the real future.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:53 PM   #35
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

So I discovered with my CTEK battery BT monitor that the Lithium US charger was not charging at 13.8v initially nor maximizing at final step. Garage temp at 58-60 degrees. It stayed at 13.6 for hours, and eventually went to float.
If it was a temperature thing and in the manual as such I would not have taken the step to get a new one.
…. and it went to 13.8v in step 2-3 as it should.
Anyone else notice reliability issue with CTEK?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0