home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Northwest

11-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #23
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
Bolted on the Pilot Alpin 5 Star-marked today -- bought the wheel and tire set from BMW Seattle. So far, excellent rubber in the cold n' wet. I've only put 40 miles on them so far, will post again after the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #24
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

After a week's delay because, uh, I forgot the wheel lock key at home (it was a bad week), I got the PS4 AS's put on my stock wheels yesterday.

Night and day difference on cool, wet roads compared to the PZ's. No loss of traction or negative moments. Steering is a bit lighter than it was with the PZ's and overall the car feels quite happy.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in heavy rain.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #25
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

PS AS4's after a few weeks and a few hundred miles:

These tires are absolutely wizardly in the rain. I've driven in damp, sudden downpours, and sustained rain over 28 miles of the Portland Metro, including a ton of start stop on and around the 405 bridge. Braking performance is excellent in the wet and traction is nearly unbelievably good. I am utterly amazed by the wet performance of these tires.

Dry Performance (cool weather only, of course) is very good for an AS tire. I would say that they feel marginally more correct for performance driving than the DWS06+'s I had on my M2C at one point. They certainly dull the performance metrics of the car a bit, as expected with an AS tire, but they do so a less than I expected.

I would absolutely rather have these tires on the car at 50 degrees and colder than the PZ's my car came with, or the MPSS's and PS4S's I had on my M2C. At the end of the day, they are AS's, and I certainly would not run them year round and cost myself the experience of good, actual summers once temps come back up.

Overall, the PS4 AS's are clearly a very, very good choice for the PNW's usual winter weather. If we actually get snow, it'll be interesting to see how they do.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #26
2022m3x
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 comp xdrive

May be overkill in this area (Tacoma/Seattle) but just put on vredstein wintrac pro tires on square 19inch wheel set up. So much more grip in the rain/cold. Hopefully it snows a little bit so I can test the winter tires for real.
Also, had a feeling of diff binding on the staggered oem set up with summer tires but it’s gone now with the new winter wheel/tire set up. Don’t know if that could be from the tires or if it’s due to staggered set up or what. If anyone has changed their tires/wheels with same results would love to hear of any resolutions for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #27
Tremblay13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 xDrive

I had Sottozeroes installed on my car when I picked it up last week. After one week of using it in the cold, almost freezing rain, I like them. I'm in Portland and will be looking forward to putting brand new PS4's on the car in the Spring, although wishing it had come with Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #28
2022m3x
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 comp xdrive

How long should winter tires be on until in the pnw? February? March?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:58 AM   #29
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022m3x View Post
How long should winter tires be on until in the pnw? February? March?
I've generally kept them on (down in the PDX area) pretty deep into March, and occasionally a bit into April. Depends on the weather each year. Who knows this year with actual Winter at the end of December and now it appears to be Spring, at least temporarily.
Appreciate 0