Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

11-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
bmedude
Woohoo I finally got a beamer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Getting the winter tire package for my g83

I have the 19/20 staggered setup on my g83 and am going to get the m829 winter tire package. The dealer is suggesting an alignment. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #2
m5eattle
human
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
I don't see why you would do an alignment when swapping to a square 19" winter set. Seems unnecessary when you're swapping back to a staggered summer set a few months later. How much does the dealer want to charge for swapping wheel sets plus alignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
bmedude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5eattle View Post
I don't see why you would do an alignment when swapping to a square 19" winter set. I've never heard of it being required or even recommended when you're swapping back to a summer set a few months later.
I appreciate this answer and I also felt exactly the same way. I'm going to just pay for the mounting. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmedude View Post
Quote:
I don't see why you would do an alignment when swapping to a square 19" winter set. I've never heard of it being required or even recommended when you're swapping back to a summer set a few months later.
I appreciate this answer and I also felt exactly the same way. I'm going to just pay for the mounting. Thanks!
I edited my post while you were replying — what did the dealer quote you for mounting plus alignment? What about mounting only?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
bmedude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I edited my post while you were replying — what did the dealer quote you for mounting plus alignment? What about mounting only?
Mounting should only be roughly 200 bucks. Alignment is somewhere around 300
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:37 AM   #6
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seattle quoted me 50 an axle for mounting. It's a very quick job. They didn't suggest alignment over the phone. I'm only considering going with their service because I don't have a QuickJack yet and the weather is really turning.

If the dealer is pushing alignment, I would ask them to measure it with the new set mounted and give you the printout so you can see spec vs measurement and decide from there.

My suspicion is suspension won't need it for the ~5 months winter rubber is required.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Bear in mind that service centers are huge profit centers for dealerships, and they're motivated to sell you on unnecessary add-ons like alignment jobs. If the wheel is true and the car tracks straight, it's highly unlikely you need an alignment.
      11-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

I notice on my upcoming scheduled free service they are performing an alignment check. I assumed they are doing this in hopes to recoup some money but my tire wear is uniform and the vehicle drives perfect so regardless of their findings I won't be paying them for an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
if you are buying the bmw factory set shouldnt the tires/wheels come premounted and balanced? I would think all the dealer actually has to do is bolt them on.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
if you are buying the bmw factory set shouldnt the tires/wheels come premounted and balanced? I would think all the dealer actually has to do is bolt them on.
Yeah the BMW tire+wheel set are mounted and balanced already. You're right, the shop just has to bolt the wheels to the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #11
smaglik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

Big no to an alignment. They're just trying to make (more) money off of you.
      11-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #12
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

My clueless new to the job service advisor was recommending an alignment on my 3 week old M3 when I brought it in for switching to winter tires. I was thinking are you serious or crazy, but instead nicely and firmly declined an alignment. SMH
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
My clueless new to the job service advisor was recommending an alignment on my 3 week old M3 when I brought it in for switching to winter tires. I was thinking are you serious or crazy, but instead nicely and firmly declined an alignment. SMH
Alignments are free up to something like 2000 miles, to cover any factory alignment issues. I don't know if they knew that and they were trying to help you, or if they were trying to fleece you regardless.
      11-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #14
m5eattle
human
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
Alignments are free up to something like 2000 miles, to cover any factory alignment issues. I don't know if they knew that and they were trying to help you, or if they were trying to fleece you regardless.
Is an alignment check part of PDI? Seems like it should be if that's a common issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #15
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

The factory aligns cars during the manufacturing process. I can't imagine that they need to be realigned shortly thereafter unless they're being abused during transport.
      11-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is an alignment check part of PDI? Seems like it should be if that's a common issue.
You can see it in your warranty booklet. One alignment within 1k-2k miles (can't remember which) is covered for all BMWs.
bmedude75.50
      11-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #17
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Honestly I did not think of that possibility. I did have alignment done on one or maybe two of my previous BMWs within that initial ownership period for free, but that was because you could tell it was off. Nothing about this car suggests it may be off and if anything I'd worry they'd mess it up and I'd have to go in again, been there.
Appreciate 0