BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

High beam left failure

Hello all.

Just out of the blue, I had this error. No fiddling with anything apart from plugging in the vsc2 controller and have a dash cam hardwired into the footwell fusebox from day one. Not sure what's happening. I checked the lights and they seem fine. I haven't checked the highbeam assist though. Anything else I should check before I get an appointment with the dealership?

Last edited by madmedman; 11-21-2022 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:20 AM   #2
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So I am taking it in to have it checked by my SA. The error has stayed but adaptive lights seem to be working. Is it a good idea to unplug by dash cam as it is tapped in to the fuse box? Just in case they blame any failure on this?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
So I am taking it in to have it checked by my SA. The error has stayed but adaptive lights seem to be working. Is it a good idea to unplug by dash cam as it is tapped in to the fuse box? Just in case they blame any failure on this?
I would definitely remove it. If those headlights need to be replaced, they're like $7,500 a set. Literally, all it takes is a voltage drop for something to throw an error code, and if you did something to cause that, it could be the problem. Either that, or its just a wild coincidence.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #4
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I would definitely remove it. If those headlights need to be replaced, they're like $7,500 a set. Literally, all it takes is a voltage drop for something to throw an error code, and if you did something to cause that, it could be the problem. Either that, or its just a wild coincidence.
Oh man, over $7k? I am definitely removing the dash cam hardwiring. Thanks for the advice.

The other thing is that I have always got "energy management warning" since I got the dash cam installed 6 months ago. That may have to do something with the error. I guess I need to have another look at the power magic settings for battery management as well. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      11-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmedman View Post
Oh man, over $7k? I am definitely removing the dash cam hardwiring. Thanks for the advice.

The other thing is that I have always got "energy management warning" since I got the dash cam installed 6 months ago. That may have to do something with the error. I guess I need to have another look at the power magic settings for battery management as well. Cheers.

Energy management warning sounds like youre pulling too much power from a fused slot. You likely need to use something thats for accessory, if there is an available slot for that.

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/p-bmw-o...lineheadlights

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

left high beam failure cc message with no actual issue with the lights is just a software error. dealer will be able to take care of it with programming.
Attached Images

11-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #7
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Energy management warning sounds like youre pulling too much power from a fused slot. You likely need to use something thats for accessory, if there is an available slot for that.

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/p-bmw-o...lineheadlights
Thanks for that. I will try another slot when I get the car back. Because I need parking mode, I need to tap into an always on slot as well as an accessory slot.

I got the dash cam off. Didn't get the vsc2 controller off because I thought it's totally unrelated. They noticed and mentioned it in the vehicle check video. I hope they will not use it as an excuse to refuse warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:23 AM   #8
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
left high beam failure cc message with no actual issue with the lights is just a software error. dealer will be able to take care of it with programming.
Thank you very much. This is very useful. I dropped the car off this morning and told them to consider a software error as well if the lights are all fine. Will wait and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50