BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #45
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

my last couple sports cars had no sunroofs, and i realized i didn't miss it, so carbon roof for me.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #46
godunovs65
Private
Rep
Drives: Infiniti, G37S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Dude, a little forum etiquitte: use the multiple quote icon to respond to multiple posts in one response instead of making a new post for each response. It's the little +" to the right of the big box that says QUOTE

Thank you, and welcome!

Again I say....buy whatever the hell you want. If you want a sunroof for whatever reason, please do not feel the need to justify your purchase to anyone here. Just be aware on resale it will be a small bit less desirable, especially on private party. But otherwise, like I said above, buy what you want, not for the next owner.
Well said! And thank for the tip on that + sign. I was wondering what it was for. Definitely better to respond that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:34 AM   #47
thopwood4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 2024 G80 M3

Garage List
2024 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The CF roof is the best feature on this car. Its also a relatively rare item in modern cars and it instantly symbolizes that this is an M car and not a regular 3 series.
You mean the front shnoz doesn't set it off? Easier to see than a roof.

I will track my car, but also got a sunroof. For longer drives and daily commutes I like to have the top open. No one wins a track day, so the time difference for the weight saving is pretty negligible for a track day.
Appreciate 3
      12-14-2023, 09:44 AM   #48
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thopwood4 View Post
You mean the front shnoz doesn't set it off? Easier to see than a roof.

I will track my car, but also got a sunroof. For longer drives and daily commutes I like to have the top open. No one wins a track day, so the time difference for the weight saving is pretty negligible for a track day.
The front is not unique to M models, the CF roof is. Get a sunroof if it makes you happy, no reason to challenge the performance benefits of the slick top if that benefit doesn't matter to you anyway. You don't even need an M car to enjoy a track day.
      12-14-2023, 10:42 AM   #49
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by godunovs65 View Post
Most of G8x M3 and M4 in the US come stock with a carbon-reinforced roof. One has to add a $0 option to get a sunroof. According to the documentation, the weight saving is only 3.3lbs or 1.5kg. But it's stiffer for track-driven cars. I don't drive on track, so preordered one with a sunroof to have a possibility to let more light in when there's a desire. My question for people who don't track their M3/4, are you getting sunroofs or prefer the carbon? And why?
Most people get it for looks. You also get more headroom (which is particularly handy if you track the car and intend to wear a helmet). The carbon fibre roof has become kind of a signature feature of the M3/M4. On other cars, it is often a fairly costly option (Porsche charges almost $4K), so it's cool that BMW offers it as a standard feature.

I don't miss the sunroof one bit. The G80 still has an airy cabin feel even without one.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #50
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
Most people get it for looks. You also get more headroom (which is particularly handy if you track the car and intend to wear a helmet). The carbon fibre roof has become kind of a signature feature of the M3/M4. On other cars, it is often a fairly costly option (Porsche charges almost $4K), so it's cool that BMW offers it as a standard feature.

I don't miss the sunroof one bit. The G80 still has an airy cabin feel even without one.
Agree on all points. If it were a paid option, like with M2, I wouldn't even posed this question, but they included it at "no cost" and removing the CF roof doesn't reduce the price. So, why not to get it if you're already paying for it? But there are nuances. I personally think it looks out of place if the car is not clearly a track car, but a daily driver. I think BMW include the CF roof to make people pay more upfront. If you don't get the CF roof, they will gladly take your $4,000 and install a metal roof.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #51
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
Most people get it for looks.
I got it because it is a nice, lightweight performance feature. More rigid than metal/maybe better chassis rigidity. A piece of carbon fiber that big has to cost a dime or two.

And it DOES look cooler. That was just a nice bonus. I hope it offers more than just looks.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 12:03 PM   #52
thopwood4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 2024 G80 M3

Garage List
2024 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
The front is not unique to M models, the CF roof is. Get a sunroof if it makes you happy, no reason to challenge the performance benefits of the slick top if that benefit doesn't matter to you anyway. You don't even need an M car to enjoy a track day.
It's unique for a 3-series sedan.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2370.50
      12-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #53
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Carbon roof was a no brainer for me. I've never had one before, I don't use sunroofs, and I figured it would look great on an IOMG car (definitely does).
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 05:17 PM   #54
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by godunovs65 View Post
Thank you for sharing your photos and your opinion! Definitely worth ordering the sunroof. It may have saved your life those three times too. I live in the DC area, we get plenty of light all year long, so I understand you completely. Also, I was puzzled by the first picture. I thought it was a carbon roof with a sunroof. Where did you get that done?
LOL at the sunroof maybe saving my life. Hmmm... I can't argue with that.

And yes, love my sunroof. I rarely close the shade (closed only to block the sun on hot, summer days), and I never do during the winter. I love all the light filtering in from above.

And yes, most people, even enthusiasts, think I have a carbon roof, and then some realize I have a sunroof and go, "Hey, wait a minute? Do they make C/F roofs with sunroofs now?" The wrap looks quite authentic.

When I bought my car, I drove straight to A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill, MD - aplusautostyling.com - an hour away, in the right lane, under the speed limit, keeping like 10 car lengths in front when possible (more if there was a truck) ...to have my full front PPF completed, and they tinted my windows. And then they recommended the carbon fiber wrap on the roof, to match all my other C/F factory bits. They had an R8 in the shop with the same wrap and I was indeed impressed. They said they could always pull it off if I didn't like it, but I ended up really liking it.

Looking back, I wish I would have skipped the entire ceramic package and had them PPF the whole car instead. The doors and rear fenders get unavoidable rock chips as well, especially if you get spacers...and sometimes the rocks fly in from other passing cars and trucks when they hit a bump or something. But I digress....

If you like sunroofs, get the sunroof...

Last edited by KevinGS; 12-14-2023 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
      12-14-2023, 06:06 PM   #55
nalnass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The CF roof is the best feature on this car. Its also a relatively rare item in modern cars and it instantly symbolizes that this is an M car and not a regular 3 series.
Super important for impressing all those teenage boys
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #56
AZG82
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition

I have always had sunroofs in all my previous cars. I thought I would miss it when I bought my CF roofed M4. Nope. It just looks so nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:02 PM   #57
dabears
Rep
Drives: VW

I struggled with this decision as I’ve always had moonroofs. The reality is that I rarely use them. Not to mention the CF roof looks insanely awesome! If I want to open a moonroof, I’ll just drive my wife’s car. Folks also mention resale value is better with CF roof, but honestly this wasn’t a deciding factor for me.

I’ll let you know if I’m happy with my decision once my Week 49 build arrives
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 08:07 PM   #58
godunovs65
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I struggled with this decision as I’ve always had moonroofs. The reality is that I rarely use them. Not to mention the CF roof looks insanely awesome! If I want to open a moonroof, I’ll just drive my wife’s car. Folks also mention resale value is better with CF roof, but honestly this wasn’t a deciding factor for me.

I’ll let you know if I’m happy with my decision once my Week 49 build arrives
Sounds exciting! Congratulation! I'm sure you will enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #59
Zim_Zimma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I wanted a sunroof because sometimes I like air without rolling down my windows. I live in a cold climate so I’m using it in the winter. I also like the way the car looks with the sunroof tilted up in the back.

I know I’m in the minority but I don’t really care for the aesthetics of carbon fiber. If I did get the carbon fiber roof I’d need all the other carbon bits. But I like my TB/black combo.

I’m not a track person. I do like smoking model x’s on the freeway when they don’t want to let me pass, I don’t need a carbon roof for that 🤣.

Just my 2 pence.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #60
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Can’t imagine not having a sunroof, but I’m sun/fresh air junkie. if its above 40 deg, its generally open. Don’t understand Ze Germans obsession w/ black headliners - esp on smaller cars. Let’s make it feel like a dark, dank cave. Nein Danke, I’ll take light, air, and more sound.
OtoPA383.50
2011ninja3396.00
nalnass118.50
      12-14-2023, 09:59 PM   #61
DefiantVitreous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp.

I didn't care either way, but me SA recommended the carbon fiber roof for resale value.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:24 PM   #62
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalnass View Post
Super important for impressing all those teenage boys
Bleh. Do teenage boys even like cars anymore or have an ambition of buying a car at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:42 PM   #63
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

I love this discussion!

I am interested….are that many of you custom ordering a car with resale in mind?

I find it amusing for someone with the means to custom order a $100k+ car actually caring that much about resale?

It definitely has not been a consideration in anything I built in mine.

It’s like doing full body PPF…if you aren’t planning to keep for a time, why bother…seems to only benefit the next person?

Just a thought since this has been a lively thread!
Appreciate 1
Prossx293.00
      12-14-2023, 11:14 PM   #64
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra168 View Post
I love this discussion!

I am interested….are that many of you custom ordering a car with resale in mind?

I find it amusing for someone with the means to custom order a $100k+ car actually caring that much about resale?

It’s like doing full body PPF…if you aren’t planning to keep for a time, why bother…seems to only benefit the next person?

Mine's a keeper, typically drive a car 10+yrs, so I get what I want at the time. 318i conv. for 11yrs, Wrangler for 10. F150 cause I moved out into the county when retired, and now 'old guy fast car' that I'll keep till they take my keys away. (M4Comp w/ sunroof)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 11:18 PM   #65
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra168 View Post
I love this discussion!

I keep my cars forever. No consideration at all for resale. If it's worth nothing in 10 years I don't give a shit.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 11:24 PM   #66
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I never opened the sunroof on my F30, and I think they all eventually leak.

CF was an easy choice for me.
Appreciate 1