BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-20-2023, 12:32 PM   #67
jdhiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Call me skeptical. I think there is zero chance they remain ICE for a 2026 new gen.
Yeah I think the thing is they already know if they are building a CLAR or Neue Klasse car. And if it's Neue Klasse, it's electric.

2022 X3 M40i
E46 330i ZHP, E90, E89 Z4, F30 320i "Jalopnik Edition", F80 Comp, F80 CS
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      07-20-2023, 12:42 PM   #68
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Yeah, ok. Go all electric and I’ll stop buying them. If they want to stop guys like me who have been M owners going back to the E36, then go right ahead and make it all electric. Once these cars go electric, what is the point? I can spend far less than 90k on a big battery if that’s what my choices are limited to.
      07-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #69
NotSharocks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I have driven so many E9X M3's over the years and I cannot get myself to like them.

Chassis is actually great but the Bangle-ness of it and the interior fit and finish is garbage.

The manual in those cars was also terrible.

Also, very limited on mods other than what everyone with them does, SC immediately lol.

Good response however, it does tick all the boxes.
      07-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #70
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
This will be the death of M if it goes all electric. I sell these cars and it’s pretty obvious what people prefer. All we have is electric models sitting around while the gas models continue to fly off the lot. And now bmw is tossing huge incentives at the electrics because they’re not moving.

Hell, there are over 300 XM’s out there not assigning to dealers sitting around in priorty 5 status. The XM should be the example bmw learns from. People with money don’t want electric or plug-in hybrids as performance cars.
Exactly.
      07-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #71
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
It's worse than that. It's downright false. This quote:

" And what about 5 years down the line, when your battery capacity shrinks to a fraction of what it used to be new? Range decreases, power decreases, and nobody wants to deal with -electrical- issues- which is 90% of what happens with -electric- cars"

Is utterly, utterly false.

First of all, 'shrinks to a fraction' is completely false. Like patently so. There are hundreds of thousands of EV's on the road, so there is very reliable data. This loss in capacity simply doesn't happen with modern batteries.

Second...'electrical issues'? Yeah, you have some. But what about...

Rod bearings
Spun Crank Hubs
HPFP's crapping out
Carbon build up on DI engines
Batteries dying due to on-demand alternators
VANOS actuators
Self-destructing cooling systems

And on and on. There are way, WAY more things that can (and have!) gone wrong with BMW Turbo engines. Like..way more.

I'm a former EV owner and a fan. What I can tell you is that there ARE real issues to mass EV adoption. Like, where you charge if you don't live in a single family house. How do you balance emotion with performance. Where do we get all the raw materials to make all these batteries. How good is it if you regularly tow or do hundreds of miles a day on a consistent basis. Etc.

But "loss of capacity" and "electrical issues" are completely solved at this point.
And don’t forget:

-Injectors, drivetrain malfunction, cam sensors, crank sensors, and many more lmao!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #72
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
M CEO needs to makeup his mind. Confusing fella
ICE, EV or Hybrid.
No shit hahaha! Sounds like he doesn’t know what the heck is going on in the M Division, he hasn’t been going to the meetings lol!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 12:51 PM   #73
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Fake news. Batteries don’t significantly degrade within 5 years. Not even within 10 years. Porsche has shown in the Taycan - particularly the Taycan S, that a high-performance EV is more than possible.
Really, EVs aren’t the “new cool thing”, they are a quantum leap forward. For example, the Volvo EX30, a small soccer mom mobile that starts at $35k will go 0-60 as fast as a current gen M3. Sorry but the writing is on the wall. Very soon the only advantage ICE vehicles will have is their soundtrack.
💯

Porsche has been developing EV’s for well over 10 years

The 718 Electric Cayman/Boxster twins have been in development since 2011

So I have no doubt Porsche is going to be a huge leader in the space

Very exciting times ahead
      07-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #74
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Call me skeptical. I think there is zero chance they remain ICE for a 2026 new gen.
Current gen is in production until 6/28. So next gen probably isn't coming out until 2029 for a MY 2030. Still a long ways from now.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
      07-20-2023, 01:04 PM   #75
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
so before I get torched I’ll stipulate that this is a serious question, not intended as sarcasm…
Aesthetic and aural considerations aside, if ICE is replaced with EV in the (apparently) not too distant future, how exactly will this new demand for charging capacity be met?
for example: just over 4% of light vehicle registrations in California are currently EV and there is already talk in Sacramento of
limiting access whether by time of day or some other metric.
no new power plants are currently under construction or even planned. nuclear power generation will not increase and will likely decrease.
if I understand the legislation correctly, and maybe I don’t, California expects to be 100% EV for new car sales in just 12 yrs. including regulatory hurdles and lawsuits it takes a minimum of 12 yrs to build a new power plant AFTER you decide to do it. (of course in The Peoples Republic you can get one every other Thursday).
so you can see my dilemma: not able to complete this equation because not all of these potential EVs can be charged on the existing grid on the same day, or worse.
additional considerations: what entity will control the source of whatever energy is actually available? a public utility? gee, no reason to be nervous about that…

trying hard not to think about the possibility that rendering the private sector incapable of meeting the public transportation demands will turn out to have been the point of the exercise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
The_Werm212.00
chrisk03153.00
Rotherd311171.50
      07-20-2023, 01:07 PM   #76
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
so before I get torched I’ll stipulate that this is a serious question, not intended as sarcasm…
Aesthetic and aural considerations aside, if ICE is replaced with EV in the (apparently) not too distant future, how exactly will this new demand for charging capacity be met?
for example: just over 4% of light vehicle registrations in California are currently EV and there is already talk in Sacramento of
limiting access whether by time of day or some other metric.
no new power plants are currently under construction or even planned. nuclear power generation will not increase and will likely decrease.
if I understand the legislation correctly, and maybe I don’t, California expects to be 100% EV for new car sales in just 12 yrs. including regulatory hurdles and lawsuits it takes a minimum of 12 yrs to build a new power plant AFTER you decide to do it. (of course in The Peoples Republic you can get one every other Thursday).
so you can see my dilemma: not able to complete this equation because not all of these potential EVs can be charged on the existing grid on the same day, or worse.
additional considerations: what entity will control the source of whatever energy is actually available? a public utility? gee, no reason to be nervous about that…

trying hard not to think about the possibility that rendering the private sector incapable of meeting the public transportation demands will turn out to have been the point of the exercise.

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/p...ture-of-energy

Quote:
Smart meters bring a whole host of benefits: they’ll tell you how much you’re spending in real time, which means there are no nasty surprises when your bill turns up. … But, perhaps best of all, smart meters give you real-time information on your energy use.

“They let you know exactly how much it’s costing you to boil that kettle or charge your phone. Armed with this knowledge, you can make a more informed decision about whether to turn up the heating, or put another load in the tumble dryer. …

“Smart meters are set to revolutionise the way we use electricity. They make it easier for suppliers like us to offer cheaper, off-peak rates for, say, charging your electric car. They tell us more about how you use your energy, which means we can offer you more suitable tariffs. It may be that, one day, you’re offered cheaper electricity on sunny or windy days, when clean energy is easier to come by.”
Rationing electricity
      07-20-2023, 01:10 PM   #77
OGM1
Pretty good. Pretttttttty, pretttttttttty good
Rep
Drives: X3, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Apparently it does, because climate change is a theory and not a fact. And most climate studies are funded by world governments. You could spend just 5 minutes informing yourself on these subjects - it's literally not settled science, and the data has been shown to be manipulated.

HAARP exist, weather altering aerosols exist - its not science fiction or a conspiracy, it is taboo because "smart man in lab coat says otherwise"
Start by using the word "theory" correctly. I believe you mean hypothesis. In science, a theory is an explanation of the natural world that has been repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method.
Needsdecaf6599.00
bri10425940.00
      07-20-2023, 01:14 PM   #78
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
EV growth is a result of an aggressive media and incentive push, which includes coercion, credits and preferred rates and free press. It's not organic.
Exactly
The goal is to eventually prevent individuals from owning their own transportation.
Also zero emissions is not a thing. It's displaced emissions. It's not coming out of your tail pipe directly, but your power is not coming from unicorn farts
Appreciate 4
AmuroRay2282.50
The_Werm212.00
Joachim328.00
      07-20-2023, 01:15 PM   #79
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM1 View Post
Start by using the word "theory" correctly. I believe you mean hypothesis. In science, a theory is an explanation of the natural world that has been repeatedly tested and verified using the scientific method.
No it's a theory because it's not testable. Do you have a time machine?
      07-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #80
OGM1
Rep

Quote:
How you going to post a bogus link for your argument?
      07-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #81
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How you going to post a bogus link for your argument?
Bogus? My guy, that's from Shell Energy directly.

New link, because it changed - https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/p...ture-of-energy
      07-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #82
OGM1
Rep

Quote:
No it's a theory because it's not testable. Do you have a time machine?
You clearly have no understanding of scientific method, scientific definitions, or how green houses gas are better insulators than other gases. Stop trolling
      07-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #83
OGM1
Rep

Quote:
Yes, bogus link clown. Redirects to this. Also big lolz for thinking Shell energy would support anything climate related
Attached Images

07-20-2023, 01:22 PM   #84
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You clearly have no understanding of scientific method, scientific definitions, or how green houses gas are better insulators than other gases. Stop trolling
Ahh, so tell me how they tested the weather from allegedly 1 million years ago?

How about 1000 years ago?
      07-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #85
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, bogus link clown. Redirects to this. Also big lolz for thinking Shell energy would support anything climate related

Quote:

New link, because it changed - https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/blog/p...ture-of-energy
You could have just looked up before you posted.
      07-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #86
OGM1
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, so tell me how they tested the weather from allegedly 1 million years ago?

How about 1000 years ago?
Come on. You can't even form sentences using the correct words. How am I supposed to explain climate change to someone that has the intelligence of an earthworm?
      07-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #87
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I literally can’t stand electric cars. They are heavy soulless appliances.

This is going to come across as geeky but Rush’s Red Barchetta is a great driving song and the lyrics perfectly encapsulate how I feel about ICE cars. (Especially manual ICE cars)

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime
Wind
In my hair
Shifting and drifting
Mechanical music
Adrenaline surge
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Needsdecaf6599.00
DavidXJ663.00
///M TOWN16543.50
maelfyn156.50
      07-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #88
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
I literally can’t stand electric cars. They are heavy soulless appliances.
I think The Professor would feel the same, were he alive today ...
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41626.00
tatarwj378.00