BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

08-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #1
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

6MT - shudder/RPM quickly drops when depressing clutch with AC on

6 MT here — If I have the AC running and I’m cruising in third or forth gear, and I come to a stop, when I depress the clutch my RPM will drop quickly and the car will make a weird studdering sound along with a vibration.

Doesn’t do it all the time, but I’d say 70-80% of the time with the AC on.

Haven’t been able to replicate with the AC off. The RPMs drop slowly with no shudder.

I have around 6500 miles and the car has been doing it for a while. A BMW tech tried to replicate the issue a few months ago, but of course it didn’t happen during the five minute drive. This was also before I realized it only happens with the AC on.

Anyone else notice this? Normal behavior with the AC compressor?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
hhkb
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
6 MT here — If I have the AC running and I’m cruising in third or forth gear, and I come to a stop, when I depress the clutch my RPM will drop quickly and the car will make a weird studdering sound along with a vibration.

Haven’t been able to replicate with the AC off. The RPMs drop slowly with no shudder.

I have around 6500 miles and the car has been doing it for a while. A BMW tech tried to replicate the issue a few months ago, but of course it didn’t happen during the five minute drive. This was also before I realized it only happens with the AC on.

It’s a common thing, just the AC compressor putting extra load on the engine. When the revs fall back to idle, the extra load from the AC compressor could bring the revs down to lower than the car is expecting.

Not the end of the world, but I’d have the mechanics check it out during your next scheduled service. Could be an idle control thing or an issue with the compressor.
      03-13-2024, 08:15 PM   #3
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Quote:

Did you ever figure this out?

I have a new G82 manual and noticed something similar usually when under 30mph and coming to a stop when I depress the clutch, the rpm’s drop and the engine shutters then blimps rpm’s back up to idle. Doesn’t do it all the time…so trying to figure out before I take in for break in service next week. Any advice welcome!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:22 PM   #4
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra168 View Post
Did you ever figure this out?

I have a new G82 manual and noticed something similar usually when under 30mph and coming to a stop when I depress the clutch, the rpm’s drop and the engine shutters then blimps rpm’s back up to idle. Doesn’t do it all the time…so trying to figure out before I take in for break in service next week. Any advice welcome!
Nope. The only thing I noticed that seem to make it worse was if the AC was running on a hot day. Completely turn off your HVAC system and see if it makes any difference.
Appreciate 1
Ezra168214.50
      03-14-2024, 08:02 AM   #5
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nope. The only thing I noticed that seem to make it worse was if the AC was running on a hot day. Completely turn off your HVAC system and see if it makes any difference.
Does yours still do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Does yours still do it?
I traded in my M3 at 8,000 miles, but it never went away. My service center tried to diagnose it on two occasions, but couldn’t find any issues.

Loved the car, but had a baby and thought I needed something more practical. Ended up buying an F150 Tremor, and while having a truck is very practical, I do miss the 3 series. May end up in an M340 at some point later this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:51 AM   #7
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I traded in my M3 at 8,000 miles, but it never went away. My service center tried to diagnose it on two occasions, but couldn’t find any issues.

Loved the car, but had a baby and thought I needed something more practical. Ended up buying an F150 Tremor, and while having a truck is very practical, I do miss the 3 series. May end up in an M340 at some point later this year.
That’s quite a change! Keep the truck and add the M back! Haha

Mine seems to still do it with AC off.

Seems to be when under 30mph when I have the brake pressed in and then depress clutch.

Doesn’t seem many others have complained of this so makes me think something is off? It doesn’t seem to affect the car I guess?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:59 AM   #8
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That’s quite a change! Keep the truck and add the M back! Haha

Mine seems to still do it with AC off.

Seems to be when under 30mph when I have the brake pressed in and then depress clutch.

Doesn’t seem many others have complained of this so makes me think something is off? It doesn’t seem to affect the car I guess?
In a perfect world I’d have both! Haha.

Agreed, mine was more noticeable at a slower rate of speed and under braking.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Mine never stalled, but man it was annoying.
Appreciate 1
Ezra168214.50
      03-14-2024, 12:52 PM   #9
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In a perfect world I’d have both! Haha.

Agreed, mine was more noticeable at a slower rate of speed and under braking.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Mine never stalled, but man it was annoying.
I feel like it will be pretty easy to replicate. It seems to do it frequently.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:26 AM   #10
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I feel like it will be pretty easy to replicate. It seems to do it frequently.
Let me know if your service center is able to diagnose it. I’m curious what it could have been.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 06:26 AM   #11
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
As I'm sure you've realized, this was a false choice. When my son was born, I drove an E46, which is a hell of a lot smaller than the G80. I drove him to/from daycare/preschool every day in it, and then when he was 4 traded it for an E90.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 08:53 AM   #12
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
As I'm sure you've realized, this was a false choice. When my son was born, I drove an E46, which is a hell of a lot smaller than the G80. I drove him to/from daycare/preschool every day in it, and then when he was 4 traded it for an E90.
For sure, but wasn’t the only factor. I’m self employed and wanted something larger for hauling canvases around. The size of the 3 series wasn’t great for that. We’ll be swapping out my wife’s car for an SUV this year which will help.
Appreciate 0