home
Classifieds Sponsors Classifieds Suspension / Brakes / Chassis / Spacers

01-30-2024, 03:14 PM   #1
TritonMotorsports
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: N/A

Brake Disc Upgrade Options : Steel and CCB

For those looking for aftermarket brake disc options, we have the perfect upgrade options : Steel and CCB/CCM discs.

Our steel brake discs are true two-piece floating design as opposed to the quasi two-piece design of the OE discs. The weight savings aren't huge on any of our BMW specific discs since BMW OE discs use aluminum hats as well (unlike other OE brands that use iron hats in their two-piece discs). However, being true two-piece discs, there is more room to expand and hence less chances of premature failures due to heat cycles.
What really sets us apart is the R&D as well as the manufacturing process. When we design the hats and the rings for a new platform, we run them through at least 125 heat cycles to make sure that everything stays within tolerance. During the manufacturing process, the rings are put through extreme heat treatment which weeds out any rings that might warp. If a ring warps, it is moved to the recycle line and a new ring is manufactured. Additionally, our discs have directional ventilation vanes which help cool them fairly quickly.
Lastly, so people understand our confidence in our products- we test and run our brakes on our personal cars as well at Triton Motorsports. We have some heavy SUVs and some FI V8s as well that can hold their own against supercars.

Fitment is the same as factory and you won't need to modify anything.

Various machining patterns are available to meet your needs- relaxed daily drive, aggressive daily driver, track duty etc.

For those interested in the CCB/CCM options: Triton's Gen 3 Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs represent a remarkable leap forward in automotive braking technology. With their innovative 3D bonding of long carbon fibers, these brake discs achieve unparalleled strength and lightness, making them one of the best options available in the market. The OE CCB discs contain chopped carbon fiber which makes them more brittle and they cannot be refinished (aka serviced). The Gen 3 discs, due to their long continuous fibers, are stronger and can be serviced up to 3 times. What that means is that they will basically outlive your car once installed.

Our CCB/CCM discs are available as 2 options- direct replacement for factory CCBs and direct replacement for factory steel discs where you will utilize your existing brake calipers with the appropriate brake pads.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Here's our website:
www.tritonmotorsportsusa.com

Here's our email:
info@tritonmotorsportsusa.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 04:01 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

So your CCB rotors do not have an issue with loss of rotor mass with heat cycles, especially heat cycles from track abuse? What is the minimum mass, or more accurately what is % of allowable mass loss, of your rotors? From my understanding, there is a company that services OEM CCBs allowing them to be serviced and reused. I’m unsure of the number of times the OEM CCB rotors can be serviced. I looked on your website but I couldn’t find your CCB rotors. What’s the cost of a complete set of F and R CCM rotors?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
TritonMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
So your CCB rotors do not have an issue with loss of rotor mass with heat cycles, especially heat cycles from track abuse? What is the minimum mass, or more accurately what is % of allowable mass loss, of your rotors? From my understanding, there is a company that services OEM CCBs allowing them to be serviced and reused. I’m unsure of the number of times the OEM CCB rotors can be serviced. I looked on your website but I couldn’t find your CCB rotors. What’s the cost of a complete set of F and R CCM rotors?
Hello, apologies for the delay. The simplest answer to CCB and Track abuse- don't do it. If the car does more track duty than daily driver duty, then CCM is what we recommend. The reason behind it- the reinforced friction layer (silicon carbide) used on CCB's friction surfaces is more suited for the aggressive DD, autocross and occasional track use. If you are going to rip the car on a road course racetrack more often than not, then you will notice an abrupt fall in the performance of CCBs as soon as the RFL wears off. Plus the discs might become impossible to service.
A lot of our clients switched to our CCM setups on their Porsche and McLaren cars that are literally parked in their rented garages on the race tracks' premises. The inherent properties of CCM make them a bit more friendly to heat cycles and the performance doesn't drop abruptly. You will see a gradual and linear drop in performance.
We have seen our clients' factory CCBs delaminate in as quickly as 5 tracks days on heavier cars and about 10-12 track days on lighter cars. Yeah they can or will last longer but some clients had these issues fairly soon into the season. Compare that to the CCMs lasting 50+ track days while costing a bit less.
Comparing our CCBs to factory CCBs that use chopped fibers- yes ours are more resilient and even slightly lighter. Our first batches of CCBs that went on a few of our personal cars and the beta tester cars are still going strong. Some have put almost 70,000 miles on them and the pads are only worn by 2mm (allowable to go down to 8mm wear and then you pad slap for another 50k miles before the discs will need replacing or service).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:47 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

You didn’t really answer my questions and, based on what I was able to find on your website, you only offer CCB replacement rotors for M5, M6, and M8 rotors. No direct mention of g8x or f8x CCB or CCM rotors, even if these rotor sizes may also fit other models. Only g8x, f8x mention is for 380/370 mm iron to CCB rotor replacements - how many people do you expect to convert to 380/370 CCB rotors for $10k when you could buy an AP Racing or Alcon brake kit for a similar price? Consumables will be far less expensive and race/track pad compounds from all of the top pad manufacturers? Do you offer CCB track pads? You’d also be the sole source for rotors and pads which is far from ideal.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 03-31-2024 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:56 AM   #5
TritonMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
You didn’t really answer my questions and, based on what I was able to find on your website, you only offer CCB replacement rotors for M5, M6, and M8 rotors. No direct mention of g8x or f8x CCB or CCM rotors, even if these rotor sizes may also fit other models. Only g8x, f8x mention is for 380/370 mm iron to CCB rotor replacements - how many people do you expect to convert to 380/370 CCB rotors for $10k when you could buy an AP Racing or Alcon brake kit for a similar price? Consumables will be far less expensive and race/track pad compounds from all of the top pad manufacturers? Do you offer CCB track pads? You’d also be the sole source for rotors and pads which is far from ideal.
Well, for one, our CCB systems are not marked "discard at X weight" . The reinforced friction layer makes them extremely durable (over 3 times more than the OE brakes) and we are yet to come across any of our CCB users who has needed to replace them- because you can get the friction layer rebonded at least 3 times (which will take over 240k miles to accomplish). There's a huge difference between what our product is vs what the OE brakes are.
Track use- we recommend that customers go for discs and pads without the reinforced friction layer so they keep the performance linear. If someone has 2-3 track days per year and rest is DD duties, then our CCB system with the reinforced friction layer will need rebonding at around 60,000 miles.
Regarding the 380/370 kit- there are people who want to just convert their iron brakes to CCBs without switching out the whole system, and we don't see a problem with that. We offer CCB track discs and pads both. No, we are not the sole source. There are quite a few suppliers out there that have similar products. Additionally, even if we are the sole source- we aren't sure what the problem would be with that. We have been helping other business' customers who are having issues with replacements etc, so I am pretty positive that we have the ability to take care of our own clientele. Our business model is more of a boutique service and not a "this is all we have" service. We are constantly doing custom projects for customers and we have put certain checks and balances in place to ensure smooth functioning.
Appreciate 0