BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #23
Limegrntaln
Lieutenant Colonel
Limegrntaln's Avatar
United_States
1323
Rep
1,602
Posts

Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sacramento Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post


Yep, I have almost $9k in parts sitting here waiting for the car and that doesn't even include an exhaust. All visual modifications, stupid CF prices!

This Twilight Purple engine cover POPS! Going to add a nice splash of color under the hood for sure. I would be Dravit would turn out really nice as well. Should just do it…
Truth, my $20K included the $7k in PPF, im getting done this week.
__________________
2022 Dravit Gray/Black Full Merino M4 Competition xDrive / Production Week 34/ Delivered 10/19/21

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
chicagofan00
Brigadier General
chicagofan00's Avatar
United_States
3689
Rep
3,560
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 Competition
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post


Yep, I have almost $9k in parts sitting here waiting for the car and that doesn't even include an exhaust. All visual modifications, stupid CF prices!

This Twilight Purple engine cover POPS! Going to add a nice splash of color under the hood for sure. I would be Dravit would turn out really nice as well. Should just do it…
Truth, my $20K included the $7k in PPF, im getting done this week.
Oh, I didn't even add in my PPF and ceramic costs yet. That will be about another $4,300. I'm not doing full PPF though.
__________________
Current - 2022 G80 ///M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Past- 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 ///M40i in Glacier Silver
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #25
BeamerBoomer
Private
71
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Truth, my $20K included the $7k in PPF, im getting done this week.
I would not paint the cover in Dravit grey, it wouldn’t pop out enough from the rest of engine. Why not an other fancy color, like red?

Off topic: I still do not understand why you guys pay 7, 8 or even up 12 grands for any kind of paint protection. For this amount of money I could repaint the entire car in any individual color two times over here. For much less would be hood and front bumper maybe after a few years if really necessary.
__________________
German Expat in the USA, M4C on order in Germany
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #26
Limegrntaln
Lieutenant Colonel
Limegrntaln's Avatar
United_States
1323
Rep
1,602
Posts

Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sacramento Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
I would not paint the cover in Dravit grey, it wouldn’t pop out enough from the rest of engine. Why not an other fancy color, like red?

Off topic: I still do not understand why you guys pay 7, 8 or even up 12 grands for any kind of paint protection. For this amount of money I could repaint the entire car in any individual color two times over here. For much less would be hood and front bumper maybe after a few years if really necessary.
STek DynoShield, full PPF, headlights out, tail lights out, mirrors off, debadged, and rebadged, thumbnail spoiler off, door handles removed, and PPF laid down, seamless, without edges showing. wheels removed, polished and coated, and calipers coated.

Plus full STek DynoFlex on the outer windshield. Im a rock chip magnet, so I need to get that done. It'll look like its been painted. Have you ever tried to trade in a $100K car, thats been repainted?

Anyone thats going to give you all the money, for the car, on a trade, is going to check the paint with a paint depth gauge. If its been repainted, (and cars that are hand painted with a paintgun, lay down paint about twice as thick as the factory robots,) how are you going to prove to a dealer, whether the car has been repaired, or not? OEM paint is getting thinner and thinner.

Factory paint jobs, today, are about 100-140 microns. Laying down an ultra thin layer of paint and clear, with a paintgun, applied by hand, is probably going to be laid down at 200-300 microns. If a dealer checks the paint, with a thickness gauge, and it doesnt make sense, to them, a repaint may be covering up a car being damaged, because why else would you repaint anything on a car?

Full PPF, keeps the paint from oxidizing, keeps it from fading, and keeps it clear from any environmental fallout, bird bombs, getting keyed, etc. I brought my car to a paint shop to have a mark on the front bumper looked at, and the owner, whom Ive worked with, on other projects, said he hopes he never has to repaint Dravit Gray, or any 3 stage paint, like it, because you'd either have to repaint the entire car, to get it to match, or at a minumum, one whole side, just to fix a door ding.
__________________
2022 Dravit Gray/Black Full Merino M4 Competition xDrive / Production Week 34/ Delivered 10/19/21


Last edited by Limegrntaln; 11-14-2021 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #27
BeamerBoomer
Private
71
Rep
51
Posts

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Well, it is like some kind of insurance for something that may happen or not. Or as you said it will happen (rock chips) but not sure to what extent. I am just not willing to pay such amount upfront. Again I could even switch the hood and the front bumper, which I consider most vulnerable for such damage, with entire new factory painted ones for less I guess. In any case, everybody taking different risks. I would never park my car on a public road overnight.
__________________
German Expat in the USA, M4C on order in Germany
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #28
Soylent
First Lieutenant
Soylent's Avatar
272
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Back to engine covers. Anyone else have one of these installed? Pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #29
bmw noob
Second Lieutenant
bmw noob's Avatar
146
Rep
275
Posts

Drives: 2020 G20 m340i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Mine arrived today! Cannot wait to get this car!
You and those darn Twilight pictures! I am so eagerly awaiting pics of your car. Luckily I have at least 6 months before I have to make a final decision. Haha!

Last edited by bmw noob; 11-14-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
KiloCo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
172
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: Toyota/Corolla/ 22 G82 M4 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: San Diego CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoomer View Post
I would not paint the cover in Dravit grey, it wouldn’t pop out enough from the rest of engine. Why not an other fancy color, like red?

Off topic: I still do not understand why you guys pay 7, 8 or even up 12 grands for any kind of paint protection. For this amount of money I could repaint the entire car in any individual color two times over here. For much less would be hood and front bumper maybe after a few years if really necessary.

BeemerBoomer, Blowing Dust/Dirt/rocks/and Santa Ana Winds in California..is a good reason for PPF. In fact, I'm taking my G82 M4 Comp back to get "ClearPlex" for the windshield. My Windshield is taking a beating on the freeways.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 03:31 PM   #31
RockinPA
Captain
RockinPA's Avatar
United_States
477
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Mine arrived today! Cannot wait to get this car!
That is such an amazing color!! I can't wait to see photos of your car.

I can't wait to get my Mexico blue engine cover. I'll definitely post some photos when I do.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #32
element56
New Member
23
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: '16 X3 M-Sport, '22 M4 ordered
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (0)

Thinking Kyalami Orange with carbon ///M and black BMW MPower

Hmmmmmmm.....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:31 PM   #33
M_Adaptive
First Lieutenant
United_States
684
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
STek DynoShield, full PPF, headlights out, tail lights out, mirrors off, debadged, and rebadged, thumbnail spoiler off, door handles removed, and PPF laid down, seamless, without edges showing. wheels removed, polished and coated, and calipers coated.

Plus full STek DynoFlex on the outer windshield. Im a rock chip magnet, so I need to get that done. It'll look like its been painted. Have you ever tried to trade in a $100K car, thats been repainted?

Anyone thats going to give you all the money, for the car, on a trade, is going to check the paint with a paint depth gauge. If its been repainted, (and cars that are hand painted with a paintgun, lay down paint about twice as thick as the factory robots,) how are you going to prove to a dealer, whether the car has been repaired, or not? OEM paint is getting thinner and thinner.

Factory paint jobs, today, are about 100-140 microns. Laying down an ultra thin layer of paint and clear, with a paintgun, applied by hand, is probably going to be laid down at 200-300 microns. If a dealer checks the paint, with a thickness gauge, and it doesnt make sense, to them, a repaint may be covering up a car being damaged, because why else would you repaint anything on a car?

Full PPF, keeps the paint from oxidizing, keeps it from fading, and keeps it clear from any environmental fallout, bird bombs, getting keyed, etc. I brought my car to a paint shop to have a mark on the front bumper looked at, and the owner, whom Ive worked with, on other projects, said he hopes he never has to repaint Dravit Gray, or any 3 stage paint, like it, because you'd either have to repaint the entire car, to get it to match, or at a minumum, one whole side, just to fix a door ding.
I just found a scratch on my E92 M3 on the door. I immediately regretted getting just the front portions ppf and said I’m for sure getting the full car done on the G82.

Oh and I might get a painted engine cover but I’ll wait to see what CF options come out down the line.
__________________
IG: Adaptiive_M
E46 M3 (Sold)
E92 M3
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #34
ATX_G80
New Member
62
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Austin TX

iTrader: (0)

Just got mine in from IND. Fantastic.

Appreciate 3
      11-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #35
Soylent
First Lieutenant
Soylent's Avatar
272
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_G80 View Post
Just got mine in from IND. Fantastic.

Oh that's nice. I was thinking of IOMG but may go with blue to tie in with the brake calipers and air filters.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #36
ROBERT1183
Lieutenant
ROBERT1183's Avatar
United_States
417
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ROCKAWAY NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
RockinPA Might have one in that shot as well...
Any samples done in Dravit grey yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #37
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
IND-Distribution's Avatar
United_States
5826
Rep
7,682
Posts

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
Any samples done in Dravit grey yet.
No orders for Dravit yet. Dravit is so understated in photos, it does pop in sunlight or under lights though. Would love to see one painted in that color.
__________________
IND DISTRIBUTION | 866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMYOUTUBEFLICKR
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #38
ROBERT1183
Lieutenant
ROBERT1183's Avatar
United_States
417
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ROCKAWAY NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
No orders for Dravit yet. Dravit is so understated in photos, it does pop in sunlight or under lights though. Would love to see one painted in that color.
I guess I will have to be the first lol
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #39
ROBERT1183
Lieutenant
ROBERT1183's Avatar
United_States
417
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ROCKAWAY NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
No orders for Dravit yet. Dravit is so understated in photos, it does pop in sunlight or under lights though. Would love to see one painted in that color.
Just ordered!!! Cant wait to see it!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #40
RockinPA
Captain
RockinPA's Avatar
United_States
477
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Received my painted engine cover yesterday from IND. I LOVE IT and the color!
The is the largest paint "sample" I have since I don't have my car yet. Thanks IND!

Mexico blue. In my garage lighting. No filter/edits. One shot from directly above and one from in front of it.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 7
      11-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #41
chicagofan00
Brigadier General
chicagofan00's Avatar
United_States
3689
Rep
3,560
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3 Competition
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Received my painted engine cover yesterday from IND. I LOVE IT and the color!
The is the largest paint "sample" I have since I don't have my car yet. Thanks IND!

Mexico blue. In my garage lighting. No filter/edits. One shot from directly above and one from in front of it.
Wow, looks great!
__________________
Current - 2022 G80 ///M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Past- 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 ///M40i in Glacier Silver
Appreciate 1
RockinPA477.00
      11-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #42
RockinPA
Captain
RockinPA's Avatar
United_States
477
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Received my painted engine cover yesterday from IND. I LOVE IT and the color!
The is the largest paint "sample" I have since I don't have my car yet. Thanks IND!

Mexico blue. In my garage lighting. No filter/edits. One shot from directly above and one from in front of it.
Wow, looks great!
Thank you dude!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #43
Soylent
First Lieutenant
Soylent's Avatar
272
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Waiting to see IOMG
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:27 AM   #44
ROBERT1183
Lieutenant
ROBERT1183's Avatar
United_States
417
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: ROCKAWAY NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
Any samples done in Dravit grey yet.
No orders for Dravit yet. Dravit is so understated in photos, it does pop in sunlight or under lights though. Would love to see one painted in that color.
Just saw you guys post it and received notification yesterday it shipped out. Can't wait to get it
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
hyfashn57.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST