BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-09-2024, 05:16 AM   #23
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
For what it’s worth, F8X had those covers as well, but there was nothing to bolt to underneath.

I have a ‘22 G82 and the hardware is there to connect a roof mounted rack.
I bought a roof rack for my F82 M4 Comp because I knew it had the covers but before I knew you couldn't access the mounting points.

Apparently the mounting points are on the F8x cars, however they are covered by the carbon roof so are inaccessible.

When I looked into it, some people were advising that you could drill holes in the carbon roof panel to gain access to the bolt holes....errrrmmm but I decided that wasn't for me, so returned the roof rack to Thule lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 10:06 PM   #24
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Trailhead fascination when I pull a MTB out of the trunk of an M4 - rear seats down, front wheel QR, easy. Normal aggro driving w/out the bike on the top or off the back. I’ve done it all and each has its advantages/disadvantages. Interesting the dogma here in the US, where in Europe people tow with these cars for GS! yeah, they don’t have room or money for 2 or 3 cars for every damn use case.
      04-10-2024, 10:51 PM   #25
jummo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX 2023 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
Trailhead fascination when I pull a MTB out of the trunk of an M4 - rear seats down, front wheel QR, easy. Normal aggro driving w/out the bike on the top or off the back. I’ve done it all and each has its advantages/disadvantages. Interesting the dogma here in the US, where in Europe people tow with these cars for GS! yeah, they don’t have room or money for 2 or 3 cars for every damn use case.
The more important question isn't whether (or how)you can carry an mtb in your car, but please, you're not riding a mountain bike with a QR hub?
Surely you meant to say thru axle, right?
For gods sake, think of the children.
Appreciate 2
Prossx293.00
      04-11-2024, 07:11 AM   #26
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
The more important question isn't whether (or how)you can carry an mtb in your car, but please, you're not riding a mountain bike with a QR hub?
Surely you meant to say thru axle, right?
For gods sake, think of the children.
Ha yes, brain fog last next, Maxle Ultimate Front Axle - 15x110. Lever, not bolt. In my defense I still see these occasionally described as QR compared to bolt.

children will be fine, its the “adults” I’m worried about, if there are any left!
      04-11-2024, 10:24 AM   #27
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
So you remove the front wheel, and put the MTB in in the trunk rear-wheel first? My MTB has ridiculously wide/long handlebars.

For my long road trips, I always have a full size spare in the trunk, so if I want to take a bike, I've got no choice but the roof rack. Should arrive tmrw.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 08:58 PM   #28
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
So you remove the front wheel, and put the MTB in in the trunk rear-wheel first? My MTB has ridiculously wide/long handlebars.
Yep. Stumpy 29, size S4/L. 760mm bars so just fits length wise. Gotta drop the dropper too. I can see a bigger bike not working; i.e. anything larger than a size L trail bike, like a long travel/all mountain/enduro 29er w/ wider bars and longer wheelbase.

And by trunk, mean rear seats folded down if that wasn’t obvious.