home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-12-2024, 10:30 PM   #1
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Post your G8x track use feedback here

Hey guys - I’ve been drooling on the G80 M3 ever since I did the M Track day at laguna seca raceway. BMW brought a bunch of cars and one of them we got to drive on track was the M3 Competition (non xDrive).

I have 5 questions for you:

- Do you track and daily this car?
- How often do you track it?
- What are you consuming most on the car? (assuming brakes / tires)
- Anything unexpected break on the car after track use?
- Bonus: Are you happy or disappointed with the fun you have tracking this car? (why?)

I’m looking to consolidate to a one car solution. The m3 (perhaps M2) is the only car on the market I think fulfills this for me. I love the way the car drives, I like the looks (grew on me) and the interior/ creature comforts are amazing. My plan is to get an LCI xDrive M3.

Also if you have any track video shared online throw down a link. I would love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:32 AM   #2
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C

- Do you track and daily this car? How often do you track it?
I don't daily it. I use my car mostly for fun drives and in the summer I will get on track almost every weekend.

Tires for sure. But still not terible. I had to replace my tires for the first time after 8000 kms. Brakes are holding very strong.

So far the car has been flawless.

- Bonus: Are you happy or disappointed with the fun you have tracking this car?
I'm very happy with my G80 M3 comp RWD. It's all the car I need. I can take the family on a nice trip, and I can track it. The car really holds it's own on track. You don't feel the front tires that well, but if you steer it just goes. Great balance, amazing power, even stock.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 11:00 AM   #3
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Much as I expected. These cars seem to be the best all around car you can buy for family duty and track work.
Appreciate 1
Jobe10176.50
      02-13-2024, 11:54 AM   #4
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Do you track and daily this car?
I track my G82 6 speeds every 2 week from May to Sept.

Tires for sure. New set of tires (front and rear) roughly every 8000km

Cross my fingers, everything work fine as today after putting 12000km into the car. 2 things I highly recommend are doing your oil change and brake fluid change very frequently.

- Bonus: Are you happy or disappointed with the fun you have tracking this car? (why?) Even in the stock G82, the car is great without any modification. It take lots of advance driving skills in order to push the car to the limit.
Appreciate 2
lutfy253.50
      02-13-2024, 12:15 PM   #5
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_g80_m3 View Post
Hey guys - I’ve been drooling on the G80 M3 ever since I did the M Track day at laguna seca raceway. BMW brought a bunch of cars and one of them we got to drive on track was the M3 Competition (non xDrive).

I have 5 questions for you:

- Bonus: Are you happy or disappointed with the fun you have tracking this car? (why?)

I’m looking to consolidate to a one car solution. The m3 (perhaps M2) is the only car on the market I think fulfills this for me. I love the way the car drives, I like the looks (grew on me) and the interior/ creature comforts are amazing. My plan is to get an LCI xDrive M3.

Also if you have any track video shared online throw down a link. I would love to see it.
1. Yes
2. about 8 times a year April - October
3. brakes, tires, gas
4. front right wheel bearing needed to be replaced under warranty
5. very happy it's the first car i've taken on the track it performs so well stock yet also works year round as daily

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:06 PM   #6
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Great feedback guys. This is basically music to my ears. Ideally I would like to get to 6 track days a year but realistically I only make it to 2 or 3. Seems this car will be more than ready for that. The remainder of my driving consists of backroad fun.

I do plan to get a roof rack and use the car to go mountain biking as well.
Appreciate 2
Jobe10176.50
      02-13-2024, 11:43 PM   #7
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]

Thermostat and harness in 2021. Took a month to get replacement parts. Also had a rear brake caliper seal issues but that was months after a track event, but could have contributed.

It's seen two to three track days a year since I have a different track car. The G80 is performing its backup track car duties very well.
      02-14-2024, 11:45 AM   #8
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

1. I track and daily my G82 RWD and consider it the best single car solution that I have ever owned. I have owned and tracked previous BMW's.

2. I just completed my 43rd track day with the G82 since April 2021, so about 14-15 days a year.

3. The biggest consumables leaving aside gas are Oil: (I recommend 2,500 to 3,000 mile intervals even when tracking only infrequently). Tires: I use MPS 4s and get about 7 track days from the fronts, and about 9-10 track days from the rears. Brake Pads: I use full racing pads (Cobalt) and leave them on all the time. I get about 12-13 track days from the fronts, and about 7-8 track days from the rears. Brake Fluid: I do a complete flush and refill every 3 months and use Castrol SRF (any high temp fluid is fine).

Keep in mind that these are numbers from a more experienced driver and a track prepared car, so a less experienced driver will use less in the way of tires and brake pads (the expensive stuff). But be prepared... it's gonna cost you.

4. The only damage I have suffered on the car has been a cracked windshield, and I honestly can't attribute it to the track. Maybe, maybe not.

5. I love this car both on and off the track. From the factory it has track capabilities for HPDE events at a beginner or intermediate level. For more frequent use and higher speeds you will have to add some modifications (suspension and brake pads). As for engine power (tune), do you really think that as a driver you are going to exceed the capability of this car on a track? Get back to me in about 5 years or so. Just enjoy the damn thing and learn.

Last edited by Boomer 2019; 02-14-2024 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 2
Ximian1919.00
CSBM52722.50
      02-14-2024, 03:54 PM   #9
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
For more frequent use and higher speeds you will have to add some modifications (suspension and brake pads).
I’m curious about this - do you mean the car is less stable? Or that the brakes need more heat capacity for higher speeds?

Also fwiw - I think this car has plenty of power. I’m not actually racing or winning trophies it’s more about what I can do with the car than “winning” the hpde
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 08:32 AM   #10
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

No, the car is as stable as a rock. What I meant is that as a person increases in their knowledge of and ability in track driving they start to push harder and faster. It's natural, we all do it, and it's very satisfying to realize the improvement in our ability that we have made.

There are four ways to increase your speed around a track. The first is to become a better driver. Hopefully this is happening over time with more experience. Second is to increase the power of the car. You are wise not to fall into this. The car has plenty of power to keep you busy and involved. Third you can increase your speed through the corners. This can be achieved through changes to the suspension system (track oriented shocks, struts, and springs) and or the addition of more camber in the front wheels (camber plates). Fourth is installing specialized racing tires. All of these things really do work, but you would be wise to focus on learning your car and becoming a more experienced driver first before spending big bucks on the odds and ends.

As to the brakes, the front pads are fine for now, but watch the rear pads like a hawk. They are very small and incapable of dissipating heat very rapidly. Braking at higher speeds means faster wear. They will wear out quickly, and you could end up scoring your rear rotors if you don't pay attention. I wore out the new OEM rears in a single day. If you are going to continue tracking the car you will eventually have to switch to tougher, more track oriented brake pads or you will be going through the OEM rears like toilet paper. There is lots of discussion about this on the forums.

Wise man. Nobody wins the HPDE. No trophies, no money, no glory, no groupies. The reward is the enjoyment you get out of it. If after awhile you discover that you are indeed the second coming of Max Verstappen, then good for you. I'll catch you on TV.
      02-15-2024, 10:14 AM   #11
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Quote:
1. I track and daily my G82 RWD and consider it the best single car solution that I have ever owned. I have owned and tracked previous BMW's.

2. I just completed my 43rd track day with the G82 since April 2021, so about 14-15 days a year.

3. The biggest consumables leaving aside gas are Oil: (I recommend 2,500 to 3,000 mile intervals even when tracking only infrequently). Tires: I use MPS 4s and get about 7 track days from the fronts, and about 9-10 track days from the rears. Brake Pads: I use full racing pads (Cobalt) and leave them on all the time. I get about 12-13 track days from the fronts, and about 7-8 track days from the rears. Brake Fluid: I do a complete flush and refill every 3 months and use Castrol SRF (any high temp fluid is fine).

Keep in mind that these are numbers from a more experienced driver and a track prepared car, so a less experienced driver will use less in the way of tires and brake pads (the expensive stuff). But be prepared... it's gonna cost you.

4. The only damage I have suffered on the car has been a cracked windshield, and I honestly can't attribute it to the track. Maybe, maybe not.

5. I love this car both on and off the track. From the factory it has track capabilities for HPDE events at a beginner or intermediate level. For more frequent use and higher speeds you will have to add some modifications (suspension and brake pads). As for engine power (tune), do you really think that as a driver you are going to exceed the capability of this car on a track? Get back to me in about 5 years or so. Just enjoy the damn thing and learn.
Curious about your tire choice for the track. PS4S tend to overheat quickly and have softer sidewalls. Generally regarded as a great rain track tire but it doesn’t take much to make them greasy when pushing a car this heavy. I’m coming from the perspective of running cup2s and SC3R. Cup2s also peak quickly and then drop off a cliff. A lot of people like the re71 and rs4.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
shwayne5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 RWD

Quote:
No, the car is as stable as a rock. What I meant is that as a person increases in their knowledge of and ability in track driving they start to push harder and faster. It's natural, we all do it, and it's very satisfying to realize the improvement in our ability that we have made.

There are four ways to increase your speed around a track. The first is to become a better driver. Hopefully this is happening over time with more experience. Second is to increase the power of the car. You are wise not to fall into this. The car has plenty of power to keep you busy and involved. Third you can increase your speed through the corners. This can be achieved through changes to the suspension system (track oriented shocks, struts, and springs) and or the addition of more camber in the front wheels (camber plates). Fourth is installing specialized racing tires. All of these things really do work, but you would be wise to focus on learning your car and becoming a more experienced driver first before spending big bucks on the odds and ends.

As to the brakes, the front pads are fine for now, but watch the rear pads like a hawk. They are very small and incapable of dissipating heat very rapidly. Braking at higher speeds means faster wear. They will wear out quickly, and you could end up scoring your rear rotors if you don't pay attention. I wore out the new OEM rears in a single day. If you are going to continue tracking the car you will eventually have to switch to tougher, more track oriented brake pads or you will be going through the OEM rears like toilet paper. There is [...]
Rear brakes won’t wear so quickly if you turn DSC off and leave MDM on. Camber plates will preserve your front tires a little longer. Brake cooling ducts or at the very least removing brake vent covers will help cool the fronts. Stock rotors are decent but I’d probably switch to a track oriented pad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 05:28 PM   #13
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

As I said before this is my daily, and my track car. Could I knock a couple of seconds off my lap times by switching to track specific tires when on track? Sure, but frankly I don't give a damn. For me it's too much of a pain in the ass to switch back and forth to improve a time that absolutely no one will ever see or care about. Likewise changing pads back and forth. I am running Cobalts which are one of the best if not the very best track pads available for this car. They bite like a Tyrannosaurus, no fade, wear well, make minimal to no noise when driven on the street, easy on the rotors, and do not need bedding in. I'm a happy man. To achieve noticeably better brake performance you would have to change to a Big Brake kit, and bye bye $14-15 grand. Like I said no one is watching. None of us is ever going to get that phone call from Andretti Racing or F-1. I am just here to have fun.

As to the DSC on or off thing. Several years ago when I got fed up with the OEM brake pads I approached Cobalt Racing Brakes about developing a line of their pads for the then new G series M cars. They were enthused (why not? more customers), and I sent them my thoroughly used front and rear pads. They sent me a set of pads and asked me to be their test mule for the next 6 months while they came up with various scenarios to put the car through and collect data. One of these scenarios was DSC on and off. It turned out that on or off made absolutely no difference in the wear rate of the pads as long as I was not engaging ABS in every corner. Not a good idea anyway. I also am not a guy who likes sideways drifting and smoking tires so I just don't make the car nervous enough to engage DSC, but I did it a bit for science.

I have known about removing the brake duct covers from the beginning, and yes it does help in cooling the fronts. It's a good practice. I know 3 other people who have installed the front brake cooling kit from Speed Engineering, and their results have been mixed, but no overwhelming enthusiasm. To be honest it's not the fronts that have overheating issues, but the rears, and no one has come up with a solution for this except AP Racing who is now offering Big Brake kits for both the fronts and rears of these cars. I would love a set but they are a bit out of my league @ $ 14-15 grand.

For my suspension I have used Vorshlag camber plates for years, and added the MP HAS kit (set to the BMW recommended track setting) when it came out. These make a big difference in how the car handles in the turns. If you are going to drive seriously on track more camber is absolutely necessary in these cars.

My reason for answering bk_g80_m3 the way I did was to point out that as a person new to track driving one should concentrate on learning the basics, and put off adding all the expensive go fast extras until you are sure that you want to continue in the sport. Most people never show up for a second time, and of those that do only a small percentage will go on to make it a lasting hobby. What do you think they do with the thousands of dollars of parts that will never benefit them on a daily driver, never mind the Nomex suit and the $3,500 custom helmet?
      02-16-2024, 07:39 AM   #14
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

My take is short and sweet, and after a whole season on Nurburgring with 90+ laps:
In stock form, this is not a good track car. Not because it's not capable. But it won't make you a better driver. Nor will it ever be reasonably financially sustainable to track.

Keep in mind, this feedback is very limited to Nurburgring only, as a totally different beast and much more demanding than regular GP-style short circuits most of the people are talking about here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 08:56 AM   #15
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep

Financially reasonable is a relative and subjective term. Some can and some can't. Granted, there are far more financially reasonable cars out there. If you want the best car to learn on, and that will absolutely make you a better driver, then get a Spec Miata. If you can drive one of these well, you can drive anything well. And they are financially reasonable.
      02-16-2024, 09:57 AM   #16
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
My take is short and sweet, and after a whole season on Nurburgring with 90+ laps:
In stock form, this is not a good track car. Not because it's not capable. But it won't make you a better driver. Nor will it ever be reasonably financially sustainable to track.
Can you expand on this? I’m interested in why.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:59 AM   #17
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Keep in mind, this feedback is very limited to Nurburgring only, as a totally different beast and much more demanding than regular GP-style short circuits most of the people are talking about here.
Could you explain? 90 percent of my track time is on the Nurburgring and I don't see why this car wouldn't make you a better driver. Also the nurburgring is the best track to keep your brakes and tires alive for longer. It takes time before you know the track, but getting to know it also improves your driving imo.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00
      02-19-2024, 03:25 AM   #18
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Financially reasonable is a relative and subjective term. Some can and some can't. Granted, there are far more financially reasonable cars out there. If you want the best car to learn on, and that will absolutely make you a better driver, then get a Spec Miata. If you can drive one of these well, you can drive anything well. And they are financially reasonable.
Well, that's part of the point I am making. I agree pretty much.

Also, again, excessive Nurburgring driving is way different that regular track days, including in terms of wear&tear.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:32 AM   #19
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe10 View Post
Could you explain? 90 percent of my track time is on the Nurburgring and I don't see why this car wouldn't make you a better driver. Also the nurburgring is the best track to keep your brakes and tires alive for longer. It takes time before you know the track, but getting to know it also improves your driving imo.
Really depends on how much you drive there - like I said, I drove a lot on it (90 laps is a lot) and I am surprised you're saying the brakes and tires stay alive longer. That is simply impossible if you really unleash the car.

Much more experienced and better drivers than me like Misha/Robert said multiple times that while g8x is a great car, it's too heavy and very much subject to increased wear&tear on Nurburgring, barely feasible for a well-financed business, let alone for a private amateur driver.

You may have done fewer laps, or you may be a far better driver than I am. In both of those cases you would be comfortable about wear&tear and improving or not as a driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:38 AM   #20
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Yes, i am booked for 5 track dates this summer

Tires. The rear brake rhetoric seems overblown, at least for me. I'm a total rookie though. First car that I have owned that I have been on track with.

Not yet.

For me this car is superb. I don't have a ton of experience and this thing is way more capable than I am. I have a great time on track and I can drive it to the office the next morning.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 03:40 AM   #21
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_g80_m3 View Post
Can you expand on this? I’m interested in why.
In addition to what I wrote in replies above, I can elaborate on the "better driver or not" part.
Admittedly, this is purely a personal opinion and perception. From certain level, you start to realize that the car keeps you safe and forgives some subtle and not too subtle mistakes, like missing the braking points, correcting the angle when exiting some corners, and simply way too powerful and making you lazy on other corners where you forget to maintain the entry momentum, knowing that it will pull you out and accelerate fast enough anyway.
Again, some of these are way too subjective and may depend on my personal level as a driver and if you are much better then you will have a different feeling about this car.

To put it even shorter: simple fact that you can just get in the car and drive a low-8 lap with cold tires as an amateur with basic track knowledge, speaks for itself. Try just a little harder and warm up the tires, and you're under 8 minutes, casually overtaking some track-prepped cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 03:55 AM   #22
Jobe10
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Really depends on how much you drive there - like I said, I drove a lot on it (90 laps is a lot) and I am surprised you're saying the brakes and tires stay alive longer. That is simply impossible if you really unleash the car.

Much more experienced and better drivers than me like Misha/Robert said multiple times that while g8x is a great car, it's too heavy and very much subject to increased wear&tear on Nurburgring, barely feasible for a well-financed business, let alone for a private amateur driver.

You may have done fewer laps, or you may be a far better driver than I am. In both of those cases you would be comfortable about wear&tear and improving or not as a driver.
What I am trying to say is that this track is more forgiving on the tires and brakes than a GP track or a normal short track. The brakes get more time to cool down because there are a lot of places where you are on throttle for 10/15 seconds. On a normal track you are always hard on the brakes. Same with tires. Although the second part of the track is a tire killer when you really go for it. They always get to hot if you are using road tires.

I don't know if I'm a better driver. I never push my car on the ring for the full 100 since I can't get an insurence for it. Still in the heat of the moment I can get close to my limits and I feel like I can get close to the limmits of the car.

I totaly agree with you that the car is way to heavy to be called a track car, but I still feel like for what it is, it is by far the best in its class. If I were misha, I also wouldn't use it as a taxi for those reasons, but just as an ocasional track car, I think it's doing a very good job.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1479.00