home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-01-2023, 09:13 PM   #1
BlueBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xdrive

First time trial G82 Roebling Road

Well the car exceeded all expectations let’s be clear from the start.

So my background is I have raced for over 30 years in many circuits including World Challenge and Trans Am to name a few so a high level of comparison over time vs Mustang, Vettes, etc..

In stone stock same alignment and Michelin tires from factory M4 xdrive is the best besides my C5 Z06.

So a few notes: I ran in M2 then clicked track. All shut off and max all options. Windows never went up FYI and I have the drivers package but not top speed change which I trigger barely at track before braking into 1
Overall Impressions:
Brakes are amazing in stock form. No change fluid or pads and zero fade. Granted low braking track at Roebling but zero fade and stops from 155mph at marker 4 were flawless every time. Also left foot trail braking to get some rotation worked really well.
Transmission was great mid turn and on track. Shifts and power band matching was perfect. These new transmissions are way better than I could do with a stick shift I will admit. By a lot
Tires were decent for street tires. Washed out when getting above 190 temps. Like cup tires best lap is in first 3.
Handling was very predictable. Mild under steer at limit and easily adjusted with more throttle and easy counter steer allowed easy 4 wheels track outs. Turn in needed some help at low to mid speeds for sure but tires would fix that.
Gas lasted 2.5 sessions so about one hour than needed a fill up. 2.3 mile 12 turn road course
Other. So my left knee hurts bad bracing against door Yes better seats vs stock would help a ton and competition seats would be way better and may pick you up some a lap honestly.
Mid speed transition car needs some better dampers and 3 way adjustable may help a ton
High speed turns so aero would help a ton or better or more rear tires.
Overall will see with lap times tmrw but hit 155mph on front straightbarely last few sessions and brakes could handle it like a race car. Good tires would need equal pads new fluid and then two seconds easy. Rear wing and some front aero may add some more
Overall one of the best pure stock no mod cars ever on track by far.

Last edited by BlueBeamer; 09-01-2023 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 6
somer966.00
m4ml1834.00
docjavier1108.00
Devils41262.50
M4Tejas788.00
      09-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Thank you for writing up your experience with the car.

A couple of questions, keeping in mind that I do not have a lot of track experience:
- How aggressively do you trail-brake in this car, particularly in slow-speed corners? Does that help, is it a must to learn that technique?
- How might 3-way dampers help with the transitions? Is it is damping or rebound lacking? Or both, or the compression vs. rebound ratio?
- Have you felt different toe settings front and rear could improve the slow-corner understeer?

Thank you.
      09-04-2023, 05:56 PM   #3
BlueBeamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 Comp xdrive

So now after 3 days will add some more as my car was pure stock not even alignment done.
- yes shocks would be game changing. The car really wanted slow steady weight transfer before i got max lateral traction. On some tracks , like Roebling, or even a VIR 3 way adjustable would be game changing
- car has total under steer bias stock unless I was real aggressive trail braking. Surprisingly car liked full power early after turn in and planted in unbelieveably well. I think camber and some toe with good tires would be game changing.
- tires major limiting factor and alignment as I was rolling over big time all tires.

Brakes were stellar but Roebling is easy on brakes. The transmission shifts perfectly and smoothly. Was really impressive.

Tires, alignment, and shocks would be worth 3-4 seconds easy. Then of course would change pads and brake fluid as those would be weak link with better tires I would guess.

I ran the Pilots stock at 30 psi cold and best times were always first 2-4 laps with pressures reading under 160. Once I got above 180 they got really slick and dropped lap times about a second or more.

Times were around my old American Iron cars and spec iron now. Made up tons on straight away hitting 155mph before braking most times but back of track is tight and quick back and forth which this car with all the weight did not do well at. Every car on race tires was all over me. But high speed sweeper coming on to front straight when weight was all moved over car was great although under steer was still pretty bad.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2024, 12:59 PM   #4
Akira_747
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Many thanks for writing your experience
Appreciate 0