home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

PSI vs Valvetronic midpipe sound?

Has anyone been able to hear both options? Is there any noticeable difference in sound/tone between them? If so what was your opinion on it? I'm having a hard time finding videos outside of those with aftermarket downpipes or from the manufactures themselves. Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsrighthand View Post
Has anyone been able to hear both options? Is there any noticeable difference in sound/tone between them? If so what was your opinion on it? I'm having a hard time finding videos outside of those with aftermarket downpipes or from the manufactures themselves. Thank you in advance
Yes! Valvtronic hands down is the best sounding IMO.

Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      11-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
Quote:

I've seen this video but this is catless downpipes, it is also not relevant unless I see PSI side by side with the same mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
G80SWFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 bmw m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've seen this video but this is catless downpipes, it is also not relevant unless I see PSI side by side with the same mods.
The comments say only midpipe with stock down pipe coming from the poster of the video
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No it's not… he has a video with a dp.. this is just the midpipe. He's a buddy of mine ..
Here's with the DP

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUifK...dium=copy_link
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
Mraceguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Unless you're going for a full exhaust replacement, buying a midpipe from any vendor seems like a waste. All it is are straight pipes from the downpipes up to the stock mufflers. You should be able to get that done from your muffler shop for fraction of a cost.

Valvetronic claims their midpipe is equal length. Seems like BMW had already made the stock exhaust equal length. Does that make the valvetronic unequal now? Either way if I were to replace the midpipe I would get a local muffler shop to do it. Use the left over cash for other mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
NKGK20
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mraceguy View Post
Unless you're going for a full exhaust replacement, buying a midpipe from any vendor seems like a waste. All it is are straight pipes from the downpipes up to the stock mufflers. You should be able to get that done from your muffler shop for fraction of a cost.

Valvetronic claims their midpipe is equal length. Seems like BMW had already made the stock exhaust equal length. Does that make the valvetronic unequal now? Either way if I were to replace the midpipe I would get a local muffler shop to do it. Use the left over cash for other mods.
Yea dude but it doesn't sound the same.. I know it's just pipes but can't really compare the work of a muffler shop to brand names. Idk it's my opinion. I doubt you can get that sound from a resignation muffler shoo. If you can I'd like to hear it .
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #8
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
You should be able to get that done from your muffler shop for fraction of a cost.
Unless you are in California.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Yea dude but it doesn't sound the same.. I know it's just pipes but can't really compare the work of a muffler shop to brand names. Idk it's my opinion. I doubt you can get that sound from a resignation muffler shoo. If you can I'd like to hear it .
Genuine question (I am interested in learning, not being a d@#k)….I imagine these are not long sections with complex bends, so there is not much “engineering “involved (I know that how the exhaust pipes bend is supposed to affect tone and flow characteristics, at least to a point).

So if it is just short piping from point a to point b, with no filters, valves, etc. between the ends, and both versions are the same diameter, why would one sound different than another, or perform differently? I could see a difference in fitments quality/consistency, but not performance or sound.

Is there something I’m missing?
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:13 PM   #10
Mraceguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's an entire thread that have done the midpipe mod by taking it to a muffler shop. There are sound clips posted that you can listen to. They may not all sound exactly alike but they are close enough. The only difference I see in a brand name is the quality of work.

Mid pipe mods https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1817072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylent View Post
Unless you are in California.
Same issue here in Texas. However if you tell them it'll be for track use only then they are willing to work on it. I'm sure you can find someone in California like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw noob View Post
Genuine question (I am interested in learning, not being a d@#k)….I imagine these are not long sections with complex bends, so there is not much “engineering “involved (I know that how the exhaust pipes bend is supposed to affect tone and flow characteristics, at least to a point).

So if it is just short piping from point a to point b, with no filters, valves, etc. between the ends, and both versions are the same diameter, why would one sound different than another, or perform differently? I could see a difference in fitments quality/consistency, but not performance or sound.

Is there something I’m missing?
No you're not missing anything. Check the link I posted above.
Appreciate 1
iviegatron2542.00
      11-03-2021, 10:50 PM   #11
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep

One thing I've noticed from videos which are very difficult to compare considering the differences in quality, is that the Valvetronic midpipe seems a bit less raspy but with way less burbles than the PSI. I guess I was hoping someone had in person experience with both to let me know if that is indeed the case.
Appreciate 1
NKGK202040.00
      11-04-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:

This is simply not true, at least not 100% of the time.

I don't quite care for Valvetronic's "equal length" claim, but their midpipe is a single midpipe design, whereas PSI's uses an x-pipe. The single midpipe design changes the sound characteristics of the S58. With the OEM downpipe, the characteristics aren't as apparent, but with a catless setup - it's very noticeable.

Soom's G80 M3 doesn't sound have an absurd amount of rasp and has a nice bellow to it. Say what you will about if sounding like a VQ, but it sounds miles better than any other catless DP + midpipe setup I've heard. I'm just waiting for AA's version of the single midpipe since I had their midpipe on my old F80, and enjoy the typical quality of their products.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
Mraceguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
This is simply not true, at least not 100% of the time.

I don't quite care for Valvetronic's "equal length" claim, but their midpipe is a single midpipe design, whereas PSI's uses an x-pipe. The single midpipe design changes the sound characteristics of the S58. With the OEM downpipe, the characteristics aren't as apparent, but with a catless setup - it's very noticeable.

Soom's G80 M3 doesn't sound have an absurd amount of rasp and has a nice bellow to it. Say what you will about if sounding like a VQ, but it sounds miles better than any other catless DP + midpipe setup I've heard. I'm just waiting for AA's version of the single midpipe since I had their midpipe on my old F80, and enjoy the typical quality of their products.
I'm familiar with the midpipe setup by both PSI and valvetronic. I personally wouldn't pay them the amount they are charging when I can get something similar done for reasonably less. On the other hand I did place an order on the Remus race cat back exhaust since it is a full replacement and it sounds miles better than any midpipe out on the market.
Appreciate 1
iviegatron2542.00
      11-04-2021, 01:24 AM   #14
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
I'm familiar with the midpipe setup by both PSI and valvetronic. I personally wouldn't pay them the amount they are charging when I can get something similar done for reasonably less. On the other hand I did place an order on the Remus race cat back exhaust since it is a full replacement and it sounds miles better than any midpipe out on the market.
I can understand the value proposition, but my point still stands - you can't walk into a muffler shop, cut up the resonators, throw on a set of catless downpipes, and sound as good, at least IMO, as Soom's G80 M3.

But my tastes in sound completely differs from yours it seems. The Remus setup on shmee's G80 M3 does not sound pleasant at all to me, and it has no traits to it other than just being loud and raspy. I cannot find a single exhaust clip that makes me go "yes, that sounds quite nice" of the G8X M3, other than ones that have Valvetronic's midpipe. And even then, their full catback setup + catless dp's doesn't sound great IMO, it just sounds abrasive.

I'm not a Valvetronic shill, but a strong advocate of the single midpipe design.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #15
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I can understand the value proposition, but my point still stands - you can't walk into a muffler shop, cut up the resonators, throw on a set of catless downpipes, and sound as good, at least IMO, as Soom's G80 M3.

But my tastes in sound completely differs from yours it seems. The Remus setup on shmee's G80 M3 does not sound pleasant at all to me, and it has no traits to it other than just being loud and raspy. I cannot find a single exhaust clip that makes me go "yes, that sounds quite nice" of the G8X M3, other than ones that have Valvetronic's midpipe. And even then, their full catback setup + catless dp's doesn't sound great IMO, it just sounds abrasive.

I'm not a Valvetronic shill, but a strong advocate of the single midpipe design.
Sound can be subjective, but for me the Remus does not sound raspy at all. It has a more deeper sound compared to other exhausts out there. Maybe this may change your mind on the Remus. Listen with headphones on.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #16
Mraceguy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Hard to say if it will sound good or not, may sound better or worse, it has yet to be tested by anyone. It also depends if you go to a reputable shop to get your work done. In any case go down the path which sounds good to you and enjoy the car in good health.

With all that aside, I do find valvetronic's marketing very misleading. On their site they are selling the full exhaust but the video they have linked is just midpipe and catless downpipe (Soom's video). No video of the actual full exhaust by itself. I did manage to find some sound clips on their Instagram page and on YouTube and they don't sound nearly as good as Soom's car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 05:46 AM   #17
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

I think valvetronic’s single mid is the best sounding exhaust I’ve heard on this car. I’m not paying 2k for a midpipe though, that’s absurd. I’m waiting for Active’s single mid to come out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:08 AM   #18
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

The three mid pipes on my radar are PSI, valvetronic and Supersprint. After listening to audio clips and hearing the valvetronic mid pipe in person they all have so far sound pretty similar, the main difference is the burbles you may hear. I went for the supersprint H pipe since it was much cheaper than the valvetronic and like I said, sounds the similar in some of the videos. I will say some of those videos you see are deceptive and don’t represent the actual sound.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #19
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Adaptive View Post
The three mid pipes on my radar are PSI, valvetronic and Supersprint. After listening to audio clips and hearing the valvetronic mid pipe in person they all have so far sound pretty similar, the main difference is the burbles you may hear. I went for the supersprint H pipe since it was much cheaper than the valvetronic and like I said, sounds the similar in some of the videos. I will say some of those videos you see are deceptive and don’t represent the actual sound.
Did you ever get your supersprint exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It's a tough choice as both sound really good and is similar in popularity.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0