08-17-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: M3CX, 335is ST 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
New Build Paint Options

*Disclaimer* This is my first post in years so I apologize if I haven't followed proper etiquette.

I'm in the middle of building and pricing a MYG80 and have my eyes set on San Marino Blue. I'm aware of the additional time and cost but it's such a beautiful color, I've decided those things don't matter. The one thing to note is my sales rep has told me that given the time it'll take to get an allocation, and the time for production, that going with an individual color runs the risk of my build becoming an LCI.

I think we've all seen the spy shots and likely agree the laser lights are much better looking than the LCI headlights. Do I run the risk of my car becoming an LCI and losing the beautiful laser lights I spec'd, for the sake of San Marino Blue, or do I go with a non-individual color and guarantee the laser lights?

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

So LCI for the M3 starts with July 2024 production. May allocations for June production would be the last chance for a standard color. Since Individual adds 2-10 weeks to the production timeline, you would want an allocation no later than March.

That should be more than doable with a decent-volume dealer. I think allocations are a little easier to come by than they were last year and the year before. By way of example, I put my deposit down in October of 2022, and got an allocation in February of 2023, for an April build (would have been March for a standard color). This was already a shorter wait than say, the beginning of 2022. When I picked the car up in June, they had no one on the waitlist, so the person I referred to my CA got an allocation on the next drop a few weeks later.

Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5461.50
      08-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

Personally, if that’s the color you want, I think the wait (LCI or not) is worth it.

I love the look of the laser lights but the new LCI lights I think look amazing from what I can see.

You can’t go wrong either way, IMO. Let the color you want dictate the wait, not the fear of the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #4
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I just discovered a few minutes ago that somebody who put a deposit down at the same dealer back in February is still waiting for an allocation. This person posted this 3 days ago. Worrying. I'm a few minutes away from signing the price agreement and the dealer accepting my deposit.

I also just learned that BMW is cancelling performance center delivery for cars built overseas for orders placed past September 1 . That was a huge part of the appeal with getting a brand new G80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
So LCI for the M3 starts with July 2024 production. May allocations for June production would be the last chance for a standard color. Since Individual adds 2-10 weeks to the production timeline, you would want an allocation no later than March.

That should be more than doable with a decent-volume dealer. I think allocations are a little easier to come by than they were last year and the year before. By way of example, I put my deposit down in October of 2022, and got an allocation in February of 2023, for an April build (would have been March for a standard color). This was already a shorter wait than say, the beginning of 2022. When I picked the car up in June, they had no one on the waitlist, so the person I referred to my CA got an allocation on the next drop a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #5
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhNexus View Post
I just discovered a few minutes ago that somebody who put a deposit down at the same dealer back in February is still waiting for an allocation. This person posted this 3 days ago. Worrying. I'm a few minutes away from signing the price agreement and the dealer accepting my deposit.
Might be time to find another dealer. Has your CA told you how many people are on their waitlist, and how many allocations they tend to get per month? I was 6 or 7th when I placed my deposit, and my dealer gets 1-3 allocations per month because they are a high-volume M dealer.

You can totally go out of state if you don't have a local dealer that can fulfil an allocation in the next 7 months.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

San Marino Blue is an amazing color and definitely worth the hassle.

Contact Day Laborer and pay his fee to get an earlier allocation. It's totally worth it.

Edit, I went to his thread to see if he had anything in Florida and see you were already there. Good job! Definitely worth the $$.
Appreciate 3
Llarry15980.00
cfm56d7b5886.00
      08-17-2023, 03:10 PM   #7
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Might be time to find another dealer. Has your CA told you how many people are on their waitlist, and how many allocations they tend to get per month? I was 6 or 7th when I placed my deposit, and my dealer gets 1-3 allocations per month because they are a high-volume M dealer.

You can totally go out of state if you don't have a local dealer that can fulfil an allocation in the next 7 months.

Yeah I just spoke with them and was told there are 8 people ahead of me and they receive 2 allocations per month. He said they hadn't heard anything about BMW canceling the performance delivery for M3s. Said it was false information. I think it's real and the word just hasn't reached them yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:12 PM   #8
uhNexus
Boost Addict
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Contact Day Laborer and pay his fee to get an earlier allocation. It's totally worth it.

Edit, I went to his thread to see if he had anything in Florida and see you were already there. Good job! Definitely worth the $$.
I already received an email from him. Was wanting to do my due diligence to make sure he was legit but it's reassuring to see other people recommend him. I feel bad turning my back on my local dealer last minute but I want to ensure everything goes smoothly. They're estimating a December/January allocation.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 04:03 PM   #9
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Personally, I’d check with Hans (Day Laborer). Very nice person to talk to, and very responsive. Many happy forum members that have gone through him. Very legit!

If I had started shopping today, I’d wait for a MY ‘25, as it’ll have all the latest tech, and while the current lights are cool and all, they don’t work as they’re supposed to in the US (by default). Perhaps if you know how to code them to work as designed for EU countries, that’s one thing. If not, they are a 1k option that is ‘meh’ in the US.

If the color you want is the color you want, don’t settle.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I already received an email from him. Was wanting to do my due diligence to make sure he was legit but it's reassuring to see other people recommend him. I feel bad turning my back on my local dealer last minute but I want to ensure everything goes smoothly. They're estimating a December/January allocation.
Yeah, he found me mine pretty quickly. Actually would have been even quicker had I actually been ready.

This was not that long ago, like the beginning of summer if not later, and the build week he found me would have been delivering to the dealer this week. But I changed the options to individual and it got pushed back the wrong side of the European vacation shutdown. Otherwise I'd already have my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Day Laborer (Hans) is totally legit. He got me an allocation which I customized to my liking (nothing individual or limited stock) and had my car deliver in 77 DAYS!

M3cX, AW/SS, comfort seats, black trim.

Hans is the sure shot.
      08-17-2023, 06:02 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Day Laborer (Hans) is totally legit. He got me an allocation which I customized to my liking (nothing individual or limited stock) and had my car deliver in 77 DAYS!

M3cX, AW/SS, comfort seats, black trim.

Hans is the sure shot.
Holy crap. I just looked at my texts and realized he found my allocation on July 1st. That means I would have had my car less than 60 days after contacting him.

Dang.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5461.50
      08-18-2023, 12:15 AM   #13
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Don't feel bad about it. The dealers know that the allocation is the hardest part of these kinds of transactions and they'd completely understand no hard feelings if you found one easier/sooner. You can always keep using them for service/parts and any future purchases.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

Could not agree more. In this imperfect world, San Marino Blue color will radiate perfection. It's an amazing color. You will appreciate it more and more every day. Worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 09:17 AM   #15
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

IMHO you'd be foolish to give up a [vibrant] color you love which will set the character and presence of the car for a small detail like laser lights.

As others have said, keep shopping around, even if out of state. Surely there's an allocation to be had somewhere.
Appreciate 0