BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #177
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5M3911lover View Post
I have an F90 M5 and just ordered the MT G80. I love the m5 as it can smoke pretty much most cars on the Road. However,I hardly ever get to use all that power and speed on public roads. We buy these cars to have fun so MT is the way to go. It’s not all about zero to 60 otherwise we can all get the Tesla and call it a day. GET THE MT before it’s too late….
I am doing the M3CX and then getting the next M2 in manual and will keep both until we go EV.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #178
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I think some of you are missing the point. I've already stated that if you're on the fence between RWD and AWD, just get the AWD, because it's a no-brainer for most because of its elevated performance.

But in David's case, he's trying to squeeze into a G8X, the cost matters. And I sincerely don't believe for some of us that an AWD is necessary to enjoy this car. Sure, it gives you more "performance", but the car is already high performance. I can attest that the RWD is likely enough for some of us, it certainly is for me.

And as I already said, if you do like pushing the limits, especially on the street...and like the fastest 0 to 60 times, and absolute fastest track times, then the AWD is a no-brainer. I was trying to give David some situations where one may actually miss having the AWD version. On a timed track? Maybe. Stoplight races? Yes, you'll miss having the AWD. In inclement weather? Maybe. If you're going to tune this car later to 700 hp, sure, then an AWD makes sense. My hunch is a lot of us don't fall into these categories.

So, for me, hec, I can't remember the last time I raced someone from a standstill. It's just not my thing.

And on challenging, back roads, the RWD's TC system is really, really good. The nannies do kick in to save you, but since I'm not on a timed course trying to squeeze every tenth of a second out of the car, I have never once thought to myself in the 12,000 miles I've driven this car (and many of those miles were spirited driving on twisty roads), I have never thought, "Man, I wish I had an AWD version, because then I could pull even faster through this turn." Hec, it's already thrilling enough, as I'm carrying more than enough speed through a turn on a public road...an astonishing amount, to be honest.

So, I stand by my advice that if cost is an issue, and you'd rather spend money on appearance items, then just get the RWD version and save some money. This does not mean that the AWD isn't superior in performance in every way to the RWD version, but for some of us that extra performance, it simply doesn't matter because it won't be missed (or it will be rarely missed).

Simply put, the RWD G8X has enough performance to satisfy many of us. But if you have to have the fastest, highest performing available G8X, then by all means, get the AWD. It's faster, and even safer in many circumstances (wet and dry alike). However, having pushed my G82 pretty damn hard already in 12,000 miles, I can truly say that the RWD is a satisfying performance machine in its own right. The BMW engineers nailed the dynamics of this chassis, right out of the box with the RWD version.
Thank you. This is such great advice. My RWD M3C arrived at the dealer and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or drop it and order the AWD instead.

For me:
- I don't race at stoplights so that's not an issue.
- I'm new at the track and don't really care about my times. I care more about learning to drive properly. Maybe RWD is better to learn on?
- I live in a warm climate where the worst we have is some rain. I would however appreciate the additional safety of AWD, but that's probably more in my head than a real need.
- I will not take the M3C to the limit on public roads so even if AWD is faster, I won't reach those limits anyway.
- I prefer saving the $$ with the RWD, but it's an expensive car already so paying a bit more for AWD wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Given all this, I would say the RWD is a better choice for me. I am however looking for "a reason" that RWD is actually better in some way to make me excited about having RWD instead of AWD. You know, like people get a manual instead of an automatic because they're excited about that option, not because it's cheaper or faster. I guess RWD is cheaper. That's about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #179
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Thank you. This is such great advice. My RWD M3C arrived at the dealer and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or drop it and order the AWD instead.

For me:
- I'm new at the track and don't really care about my times. I care more about learning to drive properly. Maybe RWD is better to learn on?
- I live in a warm climate where the worst we have is some rain. I would however appreciate the additional safety of AWD, but that's probably more in my head than a real need.
- I will not take the M3C to the limit on public roads so even if AWD is faster, I won't reach those limits anyway.
- I prefer saving the $$ with the RWD, but it's an expensive car already so paying a bit more for AWD wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Given all this, I would say the RWD is a better choice for me. I am however looking for "a reason" that RWD is actually better in some way to make me excited about having RWD instead of AWD. You know, like people get a manual instead of an automatic because they're excited about that option, not because it's cheaper or faster. I guess RWD is cheaper. That's about it.
Sure, RWD is:
- cheaper
- simpler (less stuff to break/maintain)
- lighter (theoretically more agile and better steering feel...although real world tests suggest it's minimal at best)
- more traditional M car

Feel better?
      12-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #180
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Sure, RWD is:
- cheaper
- lighter (theoretically more agile and better steering feel...although real world tests suggest it's minimal at best)
- more traditional M car

Feel better?
Thanks. Yes, feel better. I think the top reason is that the RWD is sitting at the dealer waiting for me. And given that the RWD is way, way beyond my driving non-skill, it's somewhat silly to pay even more for performance I will never use. So... cheaper. Oh, it also has 1mpg better gas mileage. Definitely saving the planet with that..
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ663.00
      12-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #181
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Sure, RWD is:
- cheaper
- more traditional M car

Feel better?
Thanks. Yes, feel better. I think the top reason is that the RWD is sitting at the dealer waiting for me. And given that the RWD is way, way beyond my driving non-skill, it's somewhat silly to pay even more for performance I will never use. So... cheaper. Oh, it also has 1mpg better gas mileage. Definitely saving the planet with that..
I was second guessing my decision to go with a AWD when I ordered my car. I agree it may be safer with the power this car puts out but I will never use it for all its potential. I won't track it either so I guess it will be a great non-abused car for the next person.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:32 PM   #182
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:

For me:

Don't think you can do it other than price & weight. One feature of the AWD system is it can also run as a RWD with the front tires not linked to the AWD system. The car is designed as a RWD car so you don't have that honken big engine handing out past the front wheel axle point like most AWD based cars.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #183
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
I am doing the M3CX and then getting the next M2 in manual and will keep both until we go EV.
Nice! Similar thinking. That’s why I’m keeping my manual F80 and GT4 and plan to add G80 Xdrive.

Last edited by 4DRS55; 12-11-2021 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #184
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I have the G82 RWD currently but have the XDrive version coming in March. I track and plan to add more power later and I think AWD will be much more efficient at putting all the power down in any condition or whether it's in a straight line or coming out of corners.
      12-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #185
Purekoryo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
The steering difference is negligible at best. Comparing it in the context of the two G80 variations; I doubt 99% of the regular drivers could tell the difference in steering which is only affected in minute amounts because of axel weight and drive.

If I gave a driver the RWD and AWD car (and didnt tell them which was was which) and had them drive the car in turns and rolls (no digs) they would not know the difference (all settings the same). Its that good in the X drive.
Thanks. How does the M3 compare to your 2018 911 GTS. I’ve heard a couple of times now that the M3 is closer to 992 S than it’s ever been. I currently own a GT4 but miss my old 991.2 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #186
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purekoryo View Post
Thanks. How does the M3 compare to your 2018 911 GTS. I’ve heard a couple of times now that the M3 is closer to 992 S than it’s ever been. I currently own a GT4 but miss my old 991.2 GTS.
BMW with the G8X chassis set up has definitely closed the gap but Porsche, for me, still has the driver feel advantage. But the G80 that I have has 4 doors, a usable back seat, and a very aggressive reving engine much like the GTS.

My GTS is tuned and has Soul Performance cats but its a vert and slightly heavier than the coupe. I love it for what it is, a great sounding driver involving car with a soft top but the G80 has my mind often cheating with the tremendous grip and torque rush.

Its a crap shoot for me and Im fortunate to be able to play the game. I do need to find a better exhaust for the G80 though.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 12-11-2021 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
'Cane8468.00
iviegatron2528.50
      12-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #187
Hephaestus
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: M4

I drove the AWD at a BMW test drive event in Dallas. It was amazing. I drove it hard into turns. Never broke free. Buy I love stick. So f it. I’m not getting a joyboy paddle shifter. Old school for me. RWD
Appreciate 0