BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
rza
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

1st Track Day at Sebring

After picking up a 2023 M3C 6 weeks ago, I got a day at Sebring this past Friday. The car is completely stock except I changed the brake fluid to Castrol SRF. The car was a beast! My previous cars I tracked were both the last generation (991.1) 911 and the M3 almost felt better. The grip was on point and the power was just enough. The carbon seats were awesome too!
The brake pads with the front brake vents removed held up great, but will upgrade them for my next track day to get more bite. Also, I never heard any knocking sounds or experienced any issues that others have mentioned on here so hopefully some of those are resolved.

Couple questions:
1) Tire temperature: this is actually my first time measuring tire temp. How high can I go before worrying about it? It was hot outside (high of 88) and the driver's side front tire always got the hottest and hit 220 late in the day, but the other three generally stayed under 200. Tires are the stock Michelin PS4.

2) I've looked through various threads but am having a hard time finding the answer to brake pads. Are there any good hybrid street/track pads that bite more than the stock pads? I'm not very mechanical so would like to avoid having to replace the pads after every track day.

3) Any other tips or must have's to enhance the car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 3
svgM3635.50
      02-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
jnslance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3

Congrats on your first track day! Following for responses
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

Ill Chime in while we wait for some more experienced guys to reply. Everything is based on 1100 track miles run in 25 - 30 minutes sessions.

1) I try to run 35PSI hot (185 - 200 F). Over 200 and they start to get greasy and lose grip, you start working harder and going slower which just makes it worse. Iv been out in 115 and and I only got about ~5 laps before they were near 240 which is just too hot.

2) the stock pad in general have plenty of performance they just wear quickly. I can't comment on feel if you want more bite, but you won't get more performance in a combo pad. if you want to track regularly you will either be regularly replacing street pads or switch to a track pad. I have only had problems with the rear pads, never the fronts. My track pad fronts will go ~800miles probably. I go back and forth between driving on the track pads daily (Squeal like a school bus) and swapping them out, it sucks but not much to do about it as i would be replacing the street pads when they wear out anyways.
performance so far with the following:
Stock pads - 128 track miles (triggered rear sensor)
EBC Blue (Combo street / track) - 235 miles (triggered rear sensor)
Cobalt (full track pad) - 570 miles (replaced as they got low)

3) watch tire shoulder wear. I eat the outside of the fronts, i am looking to get camber plates as they are much cheaper then tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 04:51 PM   #4
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
Ill Chime in while we wait for some more experienced guys to reply. Everything is based on 1100 track miles run in 25 - 30 minutes sessions.

1) I try to run 35PSI hot (185 - 200 F). Over 200 and they start to get greasy and lose grip, you start working harder and going slower which just makes it worse. Iv been out in 115 and and I only got about ~5 laps before they were near 240 which is just too hot.

2) the stock pad in general have plenty of performance they just wear quickly. I can't comment on feel if you want more bite, but you won't get more performance in a combo pad. if you want to track regularly you will either be regularly replacing street pads or switch to a track pad. I have only had problems with the rear pads, never the fronts. My track pad fronts will go ~800miles probably. I go back and forth between driving on the track pads daily (Squeal like a school bus) and swapping them out, it sucks but not much to do about it as i would be replacing the street pads when they wear out anyways.

3) watch tire shoulder wear. I eat the outside of the fronts, i am looking to get camber plates as they are much cheaper then tires.
Since you are running the rear pads down so quickly, are you running any traction control at the track or all systems off?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:13 PM   #5
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy View Post
Since you are running the rear pads down so quickly, are you running any traction control at the track or all systems off?
Ran through the stock pads with the MDM mode as this was my first 2 days on track in the car. Rest of the time everything off.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:31 AM   #6
rza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post

Thank you for the information. I think I'll get some camber plates as well as that sounds like the way to go to get more life out of my tires.

I was running about 38PSI hot so will bring that down more next time.
As far as brake pads, it sounds like I might need to decide if I'm willing to live with the squeal. I had that same issue in my 911 on even the stock pads, but just dealt with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:31 AM   #7
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

I too drive at Sebring.. a lot, but the same basics apply at all tracks. If you are going to monitor your tires by temp, do not trust the on board indicator. It is ball park at best. Get a pyrometer or a heat gun. The downside is they are rather expensive. For us amateurs monitoring tire pressures works just fine. I will address the MP4S here as different tires will require different pressures. And keep in mind that pressures at the track are always measured when hot, and immediately after returning to the paddock or garage. I and many others look for 37lbs front and 35lbs rear. It's a solid starting point, and you can always adjust if you feel you need to. For that first run of the morning with cold tires start at 5lbs lower.

Castrol SRF is excellent. F-1 uses it exclusively.

Get some camber plates. Your front tires and your wallet will thank you.

If you are going to continue going to the track then you will very quickly come to the realization that you will need to use track pads. Street or street/track pads will not hold up to track use. Especially the rears. They will be used up in 1-2 days on track, and this gets expensive real fast. You have a choice, use street pads for DD and swap to track pads on track days, or use track pads all the time and embrace the experience. Some noise, some dust, who cares? This is what I do, and honestly mine are no louder or dustier than the OEM's. Others experience may vary. There are very few real track pads available for the G8X at this time, and preferences are subjective. There is info here on the forum and on the net. Do your homework and ask questions.

Have fun, that's what it's all about.
      02-22-2023, 03:51 PM   #8
rza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
I too drive at Sebring.. a lot, but the same basics apply at all tracks. If you are going to monitor your tires by temp, do not trust the on board indicator. It is ball park at best. Get a pyrometer or a heat gun. The downside is they are rather expensive. For us amateurs monitoring tire pressures works just fine. I will address the MP4S here as different tires will require different pressures. And keep in mind that pressures at the track are always measured when hot, and immediately after returning to the paddock or garage. I and many others look for 37lbs front and 35lbs rear. It's a solid starting point, and you can always adjust if you feel you need to. For that first run of the morning with cold tires start at 5lbs lower.

Castrol SRF is excellent. F-1 uses it exclusively.

Get some camber plates. Your front tires and your wallet will thank you.

If you are going to continue going to the track then you will very quickly come to the realization that you will need to use track pads. Street or street/track pads will not hold up to track use. Especially the rears. They will be used up in 1-2 days on track, and this gets expensive real fast. You have a choice, use street pads for DD and swap to track pads on track days, or use track pads all the time and embrace the experience. Some noise, some dust, who cares? This is what I do, and honestly mine are no louder or dustier than the OEM's. Others experience may vary. There are very few real track pads available for the G8X at this time, and preferences are subjective. There is info here on the forum and on the net. Do your homework and ask questions.

Have fun, that's what it's all about.
Appreciate the response and advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 09:56 PM   #9
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I did 4 total track days on the stock brake pads last year and they still have some meat on them, but I am switching to Carbotech XP-10s for this season. I also purchased their street pads, so that the pads can be easily swapped at the end of the season and between track days if needed. I use Castrol SRF brake fluid. You may also benefit from getting a set of more durable performance tires that will manage heat better, I found this article very helpful https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/
Camber plates will also be helpful as mentioned above, I will likely get those as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #10
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Definitely get camber plates. I have Millways and like them. Sebring is pretty bumpy and rough in general so tire wear will be higher. Amazing track though. In my top 5. Props to you for taking your car on track at the earliest opportunity! As for tire temps, it is good to measure. I have a pyrometer but generally stick with tire pressure measurements as Boomer said. I ran 5 track days with stock pads, stock fluid last season with no issues except a set of warped rotors which was more of a rotor cooling issue I think. But Sebring requires a lot more braking effort than say Lime Rock so YMMV.
Appreciate 0