05-03-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Bone stock G80 on track - Questions

I have a bone stock 2022 M3 Manual and have been invited to a track day in late May. I only plan on running the car 6-7 10ths and not going all out. (They’ll have instructors, pace car etc. there)

I’m an experienced driver but haven’t lapped a car for over a decade. Given I’m going to be taking it easy I wasn’t planning on a brake fluid change, adjusting alignment or running dedicated track wheel/tire setup. (Though that may come in the future)

So based on the above what’s a good checklist so I don’t end up destroying the tires/brakes etc.
  • Cold tire pressure on stock PS4s?
  • Open brake ducts
  • Cooldown laps (how long for cooldown recommended)
  • 94 octane fuel

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Chris
      05-03-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
beamlord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post
I have a bone stock 2022 M3 Manual and have been invited to a track day in late May. I only plan on running the car 6-7 10ths and not going all out. (They’ll have instructors, pace car etc. there)

I’m an experienced driver but haven’t lapped a car for over a decade. Given I’m going to be taking it easy I wasn’t planning on a brake fluid change, adjusting alignment or running dedicated track wheel/tire setup. (Though that may come in the future)

So based on the above what’s a good checklist so I don’t end up destroying the tires/brakes etc.
  • Open brake ducts
  • 94 octane fuel

Thanks!
Chris
I wouldn't worry that much, the car is quite capable to go a few laps bone stock. A 10-15 minute stint should be fine, especially if you are doing paced laps.

Cold tire pressure around 31 psi - to keep the shoulders a bit healthier a bit longer.

Definitely open the brake ducts but don't forget to close them and don't drive around with them open, there's a lot of debris that gets in there..

1-2 cooldown laps at the end of the stint, and then don't stop and drive around the track area for 4-5 miles minimum, these brakes take awhile to cooldown.

I actually went paranoid and drove around until they were OK to touch. May be an overkill, but this way I am absolutely sure the pads aren't baking.

Can't say much about 94 octane, here we only have 98/100 octane always.
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41626.00
      05-03-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
This is great thank you!
      05-03-2023, 08:31 PM   #4
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM3 View Post

• Open brake ducts
  • 94 octane fuel

Thanks!
Chris
You'll likely be fine no matter what you do if you're only going 6-7/10.

If you want to be extra careful, then keep an eye on the temps on your dash and make sure they seem reasonable. Going off my experience (definitely not scientific) you should try to stay under 40psi or 180F on those tires. There are no sensors for the brake pads, so just dial it back if you feel fade.

There's no general hard rule for when to do a cooldown lap because it's a function of too many things (how hard you drive, how fast the track is, ambient temperature, etc). I'd take a more empirical approach: if your temps look high, or your brakes start feeling funny, then do some cooldown laps.
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41626.00
      05-04-2023, 05:23 AM   #5
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! The track is Canadian Tire Motorsports Park. It is a very fast track but should be pretty easy on brakes.
      05-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #6
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Car is pretty capable stock esp when driving 6-7 tenths with plenty of cooldown. Camber plates are a worthy addition if you plan to track it often.
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41626.00
      05-07-2023, 07:59 PM   #7
dkoch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

So, I had a similar thought when I took my father’s Camaro out for a track event. All would have been fine except for the brake fluid. I will never go out again not knowing if my brake fluid is good to go. In other words I don’t think you’ll be able to help yourself when you get it out in the track. And honestly, if you decide to go 8 or 9 at least you’ll know you are good to go.
Appreciate 0