Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
High Plains Raceway - Track Day

Hey Mates,

I was invited to Track Day organized by my dealer at the High Plains Raceway . I need to admit it will be my first time prticipating in such a event and first time tracking the car on such a “big” track. This is why Im excited, happy but also … a little but scared .

Basics like helmet, gloves, water, snacks, tire gauge etc. I have been already educated on. I will remove spacers and need to think how to protect fenders
Also delaership is covering the pre-racing service, brake fluids changes, inspection etc.

Did anyone here track his car at HPR and car share some advise, warnings, lesson learned stories… I would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance for some tips related to this track.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Yes. I’ve been in a number of cars out there.

My old x3mc at the bmw cca day. My advice, shiny side up!

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #3
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Yes. I’ve been in a number of cars out there.

My old x3mc at the bmw cca day. My advice, shiny side up!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CI7aY02VivI&t
Oustanding….
Shiny side up…. a little bit new to USA and racing slang but assume you mean stay away from other cars

When it comes to your tactics to protect the paint from tire rubber or other road staff is the anything you or your friends are doing?
Some temporary wraps or even painting tape… I saw it ones on one M3
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M4 Comp xDrive

I did the BMWCCA HPDE there last May. It was incredible. One thing not to forget is removing the front brake duct covers - very simple and will make a huge difference on keeping brake temps under control. Also, the brake cool-down lap is absolutely critical - make sure you are taking a full lap without touching brakes at the end of each session. I wouldn’t stress too much about protecting fenders. As long as they are running things well, you’ll be very spread out from other cars and only allowed to pass in specific areas, so you won’t be running behind cars kicking up gravel much at all.

Definitely keep a close eye on tire temps - you want about 35-36 psi when hot, so probably start around 25-27 psi cold. I was getting up around 40 psi hot and I got some really uneven tread wear with the center treads of the front tires wearing down much more than that outsides.

Assuming you’ll have an in-car instructor that’s familiar with the track. If not, recommend REALLY focusing on smoothness over raw speed and get really comfortable before you start pushing pace. The G80x is scary fast and with your mods you’ll easily hit 150+ on the back straight if you want to. Leave all the nannies on to start. I left mine on full all day. If you turn them off mid-day, it’ll be kind of like starting with a new car, so keep that in mind and be prepared to re-learn the car/track if you do switch them off mid-day. My instructor recommended messing with those at autocross to get a feel for DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:10 AM   #5
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Bro, thank you very much! Nice feedback and really appreciated.

Im prepared for PSI measurements but never checked or learned how hight temps are impacting PSI levels so would never never think about level of 26PSI even.

I may borow or buy infrared thermometer to make sure I will “use” the tire as even as possible )) worse case …. New tires

But as you said, everyone is telling me, first day first time brace yourself and learn. Do not be cocky etc. I will comply with it.
And yes, will have very good instructor knowing this track very well and one racing it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #6
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot one other thing - here’s the settings my instructor recommended. Reasoning behind this is sport/sport+ settings on engine/steering/brake are essentially reducing the number of input points for each system. I.e. making brakes more touchy on sport makes them more responsive initially, but reduces your ability to modulate them. Same applies to steering and throttle inputs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
Hawkdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow I need to wipe down my dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:34 AM   #8
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
seems like time for car wash and interior cleanup

Your instructor setup makes sense.

Egine in sport+ will push me to use it to max levels for sure. Sport may help me to be more smooth and also fast.

Brakes. My daily driving is with brakes in sport as i love how it response and when brakes in regular I just feel this delayed respons. So its aligned with what you are saying just the case for me is that I have used to drive with sport setting so I may have already good feel for it. Will see… may need to switch back to normal.

Sterring also I have in comfort for all setups.

Thank you! And after May 23rd will share more. Now Im organizing gopros and deciding on the time lap app like Chrono, Addicts etc. Still learning about those but would like to have some nice recorder memories from that day…
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:28 PM   #9
cleaningup
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 M3, 68 GTO, 18 Wrangler

Think it’s going to be my spot next year now that bandimere is closing. I bought my racing gear at wine country motor sports.
Appreciate 0