BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #67
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Thinking pragmatically, it’s best practice to treat the humans at these dealerships with kid gloves when they’re leaving $10-15k on the table selling to you for MSRP. I wouldn’t let the convo devolve and give them any sort of reason to back out.

Don’t expect better from Porsche or Mercedes or even Audi at this time.
I'm not sure this is even true at this time, at least for these cars. I tracked down a dealer selling for $10k over and he's got 5 available. I think perhaps there's a market for $5k over in a number of places, as it's a way to bypass the line. But I don't see stuff going for $10k over unless it's something limited or unusual.

I paid a little bit over MSRP ($3500) to get an immediate allocation b/c I'm in a 4 driver/2 car situation currently and my poor E46 has been experiencing some gremlins. Other local dealers have long lines and buying out of state requires good fortune and transportation costs, maybe even travel costs, broker fees..

Last edited by Lakeside; 09-19-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #68
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
I can say from personal experience, an allocation can go for 5-7K and thats immediate money in the pocket for the dealership and more on the APR for financing and dealer add ons.
Right, but I guess my question was...what amount in potential gain is worth treating someone this way? In the car industry or any industry, for that matter.
      09-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #69
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Right, but I guess my question was...what amount in potential gain is worth treating someone this way? In the car industry or any industry, for that matter.
This is the short term gain vs. long term customer retention problem. For most people that get burned by a dealership, it's unlikely they'll cause nearly as much financial damage as the dealership can gain from a 10-15k ADM. The problem with this model for dealerships is that you normally have a relatively limited geographic customer base for service, so if you're burning locals, that costs you more money. For internet sold orders, the cost is very low for burning people. The probability of a person having enough "reach" to really impact their business tangibly is much lower than the certainty of the immediate cash.

It's a terrible way to do business, but it's not illegal, and if the dealership model has taught us anything, it's that "shitty but not illegal" is basically the model.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #70
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
This is the short term gain vs. long term customer retention problem. For most people that get burned by a dealership, it's unlikely they'll cause nearly as much financial damage as the dealership can gain from a 10-15k ADM. The problem with this model for dealerships is that you normally have a relatively limited geographic customer base for service, so if you're burning locals, that costs you more money. For internet sold orders, the cost is very low for burning people. The probability of a person having enough "reach" to really impact their business tangibly is much lower than the certainty of the immediate cash.

It's a terrible way to do business, but it's not illegal, and if the dealership model has taught us anything, it's that "shitty but not illegal" is basically the model.
Agree. Nowadays brand loyalty mean, dealers can do anything they want without any care of retribution. My 2 local dealers were charging 10K over MSRP and 2.5K over MSRP. Its like, dont u guys look at each others pricing to have some sort of consistency? Its just crazy they have the FOMO and when they do get some sales, it justifies them having that crazy pricing. Customer service and retention takes a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:53 AM   #71
GoBlue0310
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 IOMG M3CX

Garage List
I’m really surprised that BMW doesn’t care about the reputation that some dealers are giving the brand. It’s not like this is a Kia or Hyundai. These are supposed to be luxury cars that give you that luxury experience. As some previous members have said I’ve made at least three changes in the first month of ordering alone without issue and will probably make at least one more. It is irritating that BMW doesn’t have some standards of practice that dealerships should be required to follow. I don’t believe shitting on a repeat customer would be one of them. I’m also surprised that there aren’t some higher level BMW associates on these forums that haven’t reached out. Maybe BMW really isn’t concerned about their reputation from one dealership. Such a shitty situation. Even if you feel like you’ve reached the end I’d still find a way to give that dealership a black eye from a BMW standpoint. There are tons of people on these forums and if the word gets out to enough people that it could affect their bottomline. Who knows, maybe someone important in the BMW chain will get wind of some of the shady practices that dealerships are using against consumers to make an extra few thousand dollars. I want to believe BMW cares because that has been my experience but maybe I’m wrong. I know none of this helps you in your situation. I definitely bummed for you though. I’d keep fighting though. Even if you decide to change brands I’d still try to get even. Good luck!

Last edited by GoBlue0310; 09-19-2022 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
MassComp2123.50
colo3Kid154.50
Joachim328.00
      09-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #72
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Hey MassComp check your DMs.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #73
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue0310 View Post
I’m really surprised that BMW doesn’t care about the reputation that some dealers are giving the brand. It’s not like this is a Kia or Hyundai. These are supposed to be luxury cars that give you that luxury experience. As some previous members have said I’ve made at least three changes in the first month of ordering alone without issue and will probably make at least one more. It is irritating that BMW doesn’t have some standards of practice that dealerships should be required to follow. I don’t believe shitting on a repeat customer would be one of them. I’m also surprised that there aren’t some higher level BMW associates on these forums that haven’t reached out. Maybe BMW really isn’t concerned about their reputation from one dealership. Such a shitty situation. Even if you feel like you’ve reached the end I’d still find away to give that dealership a black eye from a BMW standpoint. There are tons of people on these forums and if the word gets out to enough people that it could affect their bottomline. Who knows, maybe someone important in the BMW chain will get wind of some of the shady practices that dealerships are using against consumers to make an extra few thousand dollars. I want it believe BMW cares but maybe I’m wrong. I know none of this helps you in your situation. I definitely bummed for you though. I’d keep fighting though. Even if you decide to change brands I’d still try to get even. Good luck!
I agree with all you said this dealership may not have any integrity but somewhere at BMW maybe on a district or regional level and probably not a BMWNA level, someone at BMW should have the integrity to make this right. And the dealership is just burning down their rep for a few $$ - greed?
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #74
Onafolddraw
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassComp View Post
Lets just say it's a large dealership in New Hampshire, and I have the texts and paperwork to prove it....
I hope it is not Tulley BMW. I ordered my m3 from them as well and as of right now I am still waiting for allocation from them.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #75
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
I’m really surprised that BMW doesn’t care about the reputation that some dealers are giving the brand. It’s not like this is a Kia or Hyundai. These are supposed to be luxury cars that give you that luxury experience. As some previous members have said I’ve made at least three changes in the first month of ordering alone without issue and will probably make at least one more. It is irritating that BMW doesn’t have some standards of practice that dealerships should be required to follow. I don’t believe shitting on a repeat customer would be one of them. I’m also surprised that there aren’t some higher level BMW associates on these forums that haven’t reached out. Maybe BMW really isn’t concerned about their reputation from one dealership. Such a shitty situation. Even if you feel like you’ve reached the end I’d still find away to give that dealership a black eye from a BMW standpoint. There are tons of people on these forums and if the word gets out to enough people that it could affect their bottomline. Who knows, maybe someone important in the BMW chain will get wind of some of the shady practices that dealerships are using against consumers to make an extra few thousand dollars. I want it believe BMW cares but maybe I’m wrong. I know none of this helps you in your situation. I definitely bummed for you though. I’d keep fighting though. Even if you decide to change brands I’d still try to get even. Good luck!
I was thinking about this when I received an e-mail from a sales associate that has 5 M3's either on premises or on the way from the port. They're asking $10k over and I posted about it previously.

Sales e-mail: "I understand no one wants to pay the premium to own a M3xi but he one's who will have the best automotive experience anywhere. Please let me know if you change your mind, they will sell fast at $10,000 over?"

I understand that people charge ADM and there's a spectrum of sales people out there but damn. Let's at least make sure our shitty policies are well represented out there.
      09-19-2022, 12:49 PM   #76
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
BMW does care, I can speak from experience on the multiple times they have taken care of me, but the way things are here in the USA, their hands are tied for a lot of reasons. The dealerships have a lot of power, and they spend a ton of money on lobbyists to keep it that way. Until that changes, the dealerships can almost do anything they want.
Appreciate 4
MassComp2123.50
R0ot.Us3r228.50
      09-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #77
GoBlue0310
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
I was thinking about this when I received an e-mail from a sales associate that has 5 M3's either on premises or on the way from the port. They're asking $10k over and I posted about it previously.

Sales e-mail: "I understand no one wants to pay the premium to own a M3xi but he one's who will have the best automotive experience anywhere. Please let me know if you change your mind, they will sell fast at $10,000 over?"

I understand that people charge ADM and there's a spectrum of sales people out there but damn. Let's at least make sure our shitty policies are well represented out there.
I find it completely unethical for a dealership to have a waitlist of customers but then “steal” allocations to sell to the highest bidder. I feel like if someone high enough at BMW got wind of these shady practices then something might be done. A lot of these customers are loyal repeat customers. I’m not saying dealers can’t/shouldn’t sell over MSRP, it’s the shady practices they are using to do it. Just because you pay over MSRP doesn’t mean you should be jumping to the head of the line. If that is a practice they are engaged in they should have to be upfront about it. What happened to the OP has to be one of the most egregious instances I’ve heard of yet. What’s the point of even being on a waitlist if that can happen to any one of us? I’ve always felt like BMW cared about its reputation and its customers. The fact that the dealerships are getting away with the practices they are currently engaging in makes me think BMW doesn’t know the extent dealerships are going to to make some extra money. BMW should care about dealers screwing customers to sell over MSRP. That money goes to the dealership, not BMW so it’s BMW’s reputation taking the hit so the dealer can make an extra $5k. I wouldn’t think BMW would be ok with this. Maybe I’m wrong and they don’t care. Disappointing.
Appreciate 2
Lakeside400.00
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 01:09 PM   #78
GoBlue0310
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
BMW does care, I can speak from experience on the multiple times they have taken care of me, but the way things are here in the USA, their hands are tied for a lot of reasons. The dealerships have a lot of power, and they spend a ton of money on lobbyists to keep it that way. Until that changes, the dealerships can almost do anything they want.
Honestly I’ve never had a problem with the local dealership where I live. I feel like they’ve been honest and have always gave me the experience I expect from BMW. I’m sure it’s a handful of dealerships engaging in these practices but nevertheless it’s disappointing to hear of the OP’s situation. We may never hear of a resolution but hopefully BMW will handle that dealership. Limit allocations or something.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #79
Ariboon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 BGM M3C xdrive

This makes me sad and furious at the same time since we were Week 36 buddies! This is crazy to think because my SA took my 4 changes no problem and made it the same day. This truly sounds like a shady dealership. I hope you get everything sorted out!
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 01:22 PM   #80
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep

Supply and Demand I get it. As long as the customer's demand is as high as it is for this car the Dealer has all the leverage to do what he wants. But the customer can walk and spend his dollars wherever else and with whoever else; that market signal has more power than we think. It just is a matter of time.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 05:33 PM   #81
JetDriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet :(

Unappreciative? LOL You are dropping close to if not more than 100G's on a freaking car. They should be wiping your bottom with the finest 3-ply paper trimmed in M-colors! WTF!! What is the world coming to?
Appreciate 3
MassComp2123.50
R0ot.Us3r228.50
      09-19-2022, 06:25 PM   #82
FoxberryJam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 CompX; '98 m Roadster

Garage List
TBH, after my dealership went from a non-negotiable $15k ADM to MSRP in the matter of just a few days (only caveat to get MSRP was 0.5% above BMWFS base financing rate) I was holding my breath waiting for some shady dealer tactics to rear their ugly head the entire time I was waiting for delivery (I was not a previous customer at this dealer and while I do reside in-state to them, my home address made it pretty evident that I was not going to be a Service customer for them). Well - nothing shady ever happened, they played no games, delivered as promised & the whole experience with them turned out to be really great, much to my surprise. I too made numerous changes to my build prior to Status 150 and even made (1) additional change (VDC port-installed) while en-route from the factory to the Port in Germany.

MassComp - after reading thru your terrible experience here with your dealer, I hope you are able to find the exact opposite experience with another dealer (as I did with mine) & still ultimately come away with a G80. Best of luck to you…
Draper3460.50
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #83
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Dealer might be thinking:

I might have screwed MassComp but I just gained someone else, who's paying more.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #84
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

Sorry this happened. Dealer pulled the same shit on me, but I caught them and they said it was an accident and gave me my build back. I'm sure they sold it to the highest bidder and didn't think I'd see the changes on the my garage. Luckily I had my local dealer come through and deliver my car. Hope you have some good luck in the future!
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #85
UnrealM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CX

Sorry man, this is wild... All the dealer had to do was politely say no more changes but canceling the order on you...come on.

You may want to consider going to twitter and hitting up BMW corporate. You never know, someone may notice. Sorry again this happened to you.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 06:51 PM   #86
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

MassComp: I'm just reading through this thread now, and wow... what a gigantic, odiferous pile of horseshit.

I've heard of some bad dealer stories, and this sounds like it's up there. What's bizarre is that it sounds like they tried to provoke you into some escalation from which they could then justify voiding the purchase order... almost like they felt like they could not just unilaterally cancel it?

At this point, I'm not sure what other advice to give. Sure, you can spend significant time and/or money trying to shame and pressure them through social media, state AG, legal representation, or broadcast media ("Tonight, the heartbreaking story of a local man whose $100k BMW order was unfairly voided by his dealership because he wanted to be able to drift his car. More at 11.") That may provide satisfaction, and maybe even a reversal from dealer ownership. But I wouldn't blame you for never wanting to set foot in that dealership again.

Given that you were prepared to wait for the car anyway, and knowing how much you were looking forward to it, you might consider keeping your chin up and getting onto a few other dealer lists. I don't know what the current situation is, but it sounds like the litany of production and supply issues continue to improve, and potentially you may find a short queue out there. If I were doing this again, I'd probably hire a broker to help with this process; for a few hundred bucks, they can save hours of legwork and identify a responsible dealer with a fair price.

I've enjoyed seeing your posts this past year during my purchase and ownership journeys, and hope you're able to find a satisfactory resolution and a good reason to stick around. Best of luck!
      09-19-2022, 07:22 PM   #87
smitpatel5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3Comp Xdrive (G80)

Ughh I want the name so badly!! Ik u needa wait till money but I want to unleash on them! I'm posting on google , yelp, and every single gc I'm in about this place and gonna tell them to do the same thing! My journey to get my car (still waiting) has been so horrible too but this takes the fucking cake I can't imagine how this feels and I have my carts filled with all the parts and was gonna buy but now I'll wait till I see the car in front of me! I'm sorry MassComp ! Please please share name once u safely can I want to unleash every resource I have to expose them and make them regret this
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #88
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Dealer might be thinking:

I might have screwed MassComp but I just gained someone else, who's paying more.
pretty short term thought process; not in it for the long haul
Appreciate 0