BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

09-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Dealership Cancelled My Order Without My Consent

Yep, my dealership cancelled my order on me today because I requested to have M Drive Professional added to my build.

My build was at 112 status as of today (and had been since August 8th), and just this past Friday was bumped out to week 39 (from 36 - 37 - 38). So I texted my salesperson and asked to have M Drive Professional added to my build thinking since it's just a software download it shouldn't be a problem, especially since they had no problem adding full leather & Personal eSIM 5G when they first submitted my order and after I received my allocation respectively (dates all in my signature). It's not like I was asking to change my color to individual or asking for carbon buckets, right? They already talked me out of the M performance front lip last month telling me it would hold up delivery for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

Then to my surprise I receive a very defensive text accusing me of being "unappreciative" and that I was told a number of times changes to my build would not be accepted by the dealership....and from there the conversion began to go downhill, until I relented and said I will take the car as optioned and forget about adding M Drive Professional. At no point did I ever text them to cancel my order.

"Too late" was the response the Manager texted me, my order was cancelled and that I would see my "non-refundable" deposit refunded to my card in 3 to 5 business days, and that they would "sell the car to someone who will appreciate the service we provide" (I have saved/printed out all texts I have received from the dealership). As a matter of fact, after checking the status of my build on My BMW, my car has already been replaced with this build....

Name:  LostBMW.png
Views: 1659
Size:  96.0 KB

What happens now? I don't know. At this point I don't ever plan to set foot in that dealership again. Report this to BMW? And gain what? They already burnt the bridge when it comes to ever doing business with me again. So let this be a warning to all, the dealerships are looking for any excuse to sell your ordered vehicle to someone else (and probably for more than MSRP), so don't attempt to add options even if your build is still at 112 status.

Good luck to all who are still waiting for your cars, I hope your experience is better than mine was, and thank you for all the support & knowledge I've gained from this very informative web site. I'll be checking in from time to time since I most likely will be selling the parts I've already bought for my now cancelled G80.
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order

Last edited by MassComp; 09-20-2022 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 4
Gfit2714.50
Volcanic168.00
      09-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
Former230
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

What dealership is this so the rest of us can take this into consideration for any future potential work with them? Seems only fair to at least give us the heads up on the dealer if this went down as described.

Sorry to hear this though - not the way any of us want to experience the purchase/ordering of a new car.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
Dirtbikerr450
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, G80

@MassComp

I have been seeing you post for the last 2.5 months since I have joined this forum I am personally upset that this happened to you. This is wildly unprofessional that they would do this. Your 100% correct they were looking for an excuse to cancel your order and sell it to the highest bidder. If you don't mind please pm me the dealerships name as I am also in the New England area and want to make sure I never do business with this dealer. I can't wait for the car industry to go the way of direct to consumer. Dealerships were mean to protect the local populace from the manufacturer. Now dealerships are screwing customers left and right now longer benefiting us. I currently have a Tesla and their order process was amazing. Order online the price you see is the price you pay everyone in the country is in one line the minute you order no one gets to jump ahead. Now some dealers have a 20 person wait list and others are selling open allocations.
Appreciate 3
MassComp2123.50
chujk1985542.50
      09-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #4
disancke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32; 2023 G82 XDrive

wtf?? I saw your updates everyday and I knew your building week was pushed back multiple times and was 39. I was like, cool this guy gonna get his car before me! And also great to see you have everything set up and share all the experience (the tires etc.)

I just felt gutted when I saw this. But moving ahead you definitely will have another bunch of nice cars in your life. And when the market is cooled down you can buy the last gen of G80 as an gas car, at a discount maybe.

And when I clicked on this post I didn't expect it was you...sigh
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former230 View Post
What dealership is this so the rest of us can take this into consideration for any future potential work with them? Seems only fair to at least give us the heads up on the dealer if this went down as described.
Lets just say it's a large dealership in New Hampshire, and I have the texts and paperwork to prove it....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
disancke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32; 2023 G82 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former230 View Post

Sorry to hear this though - not the way any of us want to experience the purchase/ordering of a new car.
yes and I will be moving to the Boston area soon. Give us a head up and I won't do business with them (sales&services) in the future. This was the worst accident I can imagine and they need to pay at least something for it.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Wow, this sucks big time. These dealers have to know that the supply/demand imbalance won’t last forever.

Screwing over customers is going to come back and bite them eventually.

Good luck man!
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry man. This is horrible. I would have been sooooo pissed!!

It's ridiculous what they are doing. I would want to know this dealer to stay away from them!!!
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #9
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassComp View Post
Yep, my dealership cancelled my order on me today because I requested to have M Drive Professional added to my build.

My build was at 112 status as of today (and had been since August 8th), and just this past Friday was bumped out to week 39 (from 36 - 37 - 38). So I texted my salesperson and asked to have M Drive Professional added to my build thinking since it's just a software download it shouldn't be a problem, especially since they had no problem adding full leather & Personal eSIM 5G when they first submitted my order and after I received my allocation respectively (dates all in my signature). It's not like I was asking to change my color to individual or asking for carbon buckets, right? They already talked me out of the M performance front lip last month telling me it would hold up delivery for at least 2 to 3 weeks.

Then to my surprise I receive a very defensive text accusing me of being "unappreciative" and that I was told a number of times changes to my build would not be accepted by the dealership....and from there the conversion began to go downhill, until I relented and said I will take the car as optioned and forget about adding M Drive Professional. At no point did I ever text them to cancel my order.

"Too late" was the response the Manager texted me, my order was cancelled and that I would see my "non-refundable" deposit refunded to my card in 3 to 5 business days, and that they would "sell the car to someone who will appreciate the service we provide" (I have saved/printed out all texts I have received from the dealership). As a matter of fact, after checking the status of my build on My BMW, my car has already been replaced with this build....

Attachment 2986176

What happens now? I don't know. At this point I don't ever plan to set foot in that dealership again. Report this to BMW? And gain what? They already burnt the bridge when it comes to ever doing business with me again. So let this be a warning to all, the dealerships are looking for any excuse to sell your ordered vehicle to someone else (and probably for more than MSRP), so don't attempt to add options even if your build is still at 112 status.

Good luck to all who are still waiting for your cars, I hope your experience is better than mine was, and thank you for all the support & knowledge I've gained from this very informative web site. I'll be checking in from time to time since I most likely will be selling the parts I've already bought for my now cancelled G80.

Dont walk away !!! You deserve this car and the a**holes will win and do this to other people too and get away. Demand that you talk to the owner of the dealership and let him/her know about what happened and how you got scammed. Write to BMWNa and dealer rater and Yelp about the shady practice that this dealership has indulged in. This is YOUR car and you have been waiting for it for soo long and ive been looking forward to you getting your car when you created the wk 36 build. This is unacceptable and dont let them get away. There is a sales manager and a general manager andnthen there is the owner. I would take it up to the owner directly and if they wont give that information, try google and get that info. You need to show these scumbags that you are not a pushover !!!
Appreciate 8
MassComp2123.50
Lakeside400.00
Eris496219.50
Froz3n_M399.50
Nate.G82521.00
      09-18-2022, 08:59 PM   #10
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Infrequently

As others said, feel bad for you as this isn't right. I would still report to BMW NA because if you don't, they will never know, and nothing will happen as a consequence of their egregious business practices.

Also think you should name the dealer because it's the only way to save others from future heartbreak.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:05 PM   #11
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual6341 View Post
Also think you should name the dealer because it's the only way to save others from future heartbreak.
Thank you.

I've already dropped hints, but until I actually receive my $3,000 "non-refundable" deposit back from them, I will reframe from stating the actual name of the dealership.

Sorry, I hope you understand....
Appreciate 6
G-Mann413.00
Limegrntaln13469.00
GaoKS508.00
      09-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #12
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
This is terrible, especially since you've been waiting this long.

Don't forget boys and girls, until you take possession and sign the paperwork, the car is theirs.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
Manual6341
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Infrequently

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassComp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual6341 View Post
Thank you.

I've already dropped hints, but until I actually receive my $3,000 "non-refundable" deposit back from them, I will reframe from stating the actual name of the dealership.

Sorry, I hope you understand....
Yea you're right - I've had 1 too many Sunday beers Wait till you get the money. We should still get a list of bad/sketchy dealers. Maybe losing business will force a change in their behavior.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #14
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Sounds like a garbage dealership to begin with. Especially if they say that your build would be delayed a few weeks because of the M performance lip - that gets added on at the port and adds maybe a day or two and that's just about it. I added the side skirts + rear winglets when my G80 was about 2 days away from entering the NY/NJ port and it took an extra 2-3 days.

I'm also unsure as to why you're reluctant to give the dealerships name up? It doesn't sound like they're going to work with you at all anymore, so why not give the rest of us a heads up? These dealerships need to be shamed.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 3
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #15
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Whoa! Sorry to hear my man. Their response makes absolutely no sense.

I'd like to add an option which gives you more profit, and you cancel my order?

We definitely need to see these texts once you get your refund back.
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:18 PM   #16
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post

And I promise I WILL post them once I get my deposit back....
Appreciate 4
Habber3515.00
      09-18-2022, 09:19 PM   #17
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [9.83]
I completely understand why he doesn't want to name the dealership. Obviously a scum move like this makes him wonder if he even gets his $3k back.

That being said, there should be a list of dealers who need to be avoided after reading these stories. Social media and this site alone can be a powerful tool to help all of us down the road.
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #18
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Its more like “ Now you are delaying ur build more and we wont see our money anytime soon, but we have this new guy paying us $$$ now and so we r just gonna take that money and screw you over”
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:23 PM   #19
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
Quote:

Its more like “ Now you are delaying ur build more and we wont see our money anytime soon, but we have this new guy paying us $$$ now and so we r just gonna take that money and screw you over”
Even if they chose to be this unprofessional, they could have at least told him that if he makes any more changes that he goes back to the line.

To simply give his allocation away is just a cheap way to do business.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:32 PM   #20
MCM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC AT4

MC - this sucks. I made 2 changes to my build before it started production (added Full leather and later deleted the charging pad). Each change was handled the same day as the request and without question. It sucks you got a bad dealer. I don't see any way they can cancel your order and not refund the deposit, so I am confident you will get it. They probably had some other buyer offer 10 or 15k over to get something in the queue, and they took your spot. So unethical, let's all pile on this stealership as soon as you get your funds back.
Appreciate 1
MassComp2123.50
      09-18-2022, 09:37 PM   #21
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Even if they chose to be this unprofessional, they could have at least told him that if he makes any more changes that he goes back to the line.

To simply give his allocation away is just a cheap way to do business.
They were prob thinking about this for a while. I think they just wanted pure profit with ADM than customer loyalty or service. Reeks of shadiness already. I hope the owner is different than his employees. Sometimes this can go all the way to the top. MassComp if u take the refundable deposit back, you will lose any claims to this build. So if u r planning to fight it, then I would not accept it until this is resolved. There was a similar issue with a dealership in NJ for an I4 and the owner intervened and gave the build back to the customer.
Appreciate 2
MassComp2123.50
Habber3515.00
      09-18-2022, 09:37 PM   #22
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
That's the exact word I called them....unprofessional, and it seems they took offence.

And for the record, they did inform me it "possibly" could add 6 to 8 weeks to my build, which I basically replied I was OK with since I had already waited a long time, then I was scolded and called unappreciative.

What REALLY pissed me off was their lie of being "told from the beginning" that changes would not be accepted (even though they allowed the changes to full Leather & Personal eSIM 5G before and after receiving my allocation), then going on to say they made an exception for me which we don't do for other clients.

Appreciate 1
Habber3515.00