BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

08-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #67
John4C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
This what I also think long term. Once the competition has cars ready to order or has cars on the lot ready to drive away, it gets much harder to limit supply. I might prefer the M3 over the 911 or vice versa, but if I can get one of them today or wait 1+ years for the other, the decision gets interesting and the one limiting supply will lose market share. There might be some collusion between manufacturers, but the car market devolved into price wars for a reason and I'm not sure conditions will be different long term. Time will tell.. I never thought we would get into a situation where dealers would refuse to sell a car for MSRP.
100% agree. Prices are coming down. The manufacturers would love to have a some subtle collusion to limit supply but 1) there’s no way one manufacturer won’t break to boost sales and that makes the whole thing crumble, but more importantly 2) even within the same marque, we have dealers in the US and there will always be the dealer who breaks and starts discounting to drive volume and then the dealer two towns over will inevitably follow.

So yes, automakers put out that messaging that this would be the “new normal” but that was just to make people feel ok paying MSRP - or above. There’s too many stakeholders for them to ever be able to pull that off. Auto sales will be back to pre-pandemic normal in another year or two (faster if there’s a meaningful recession). It’s unavoidable (at least in the US).
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      08-31-2022, 03:22 PM   #68
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq1 View Post
Are NYC metro allocations out? I see folks in Brooklyn and MA posting this afternoon about receiving one but I am being told not yet.
i got 2 calls today from NJ dealers that i had an allocation spot ready for me i didn't get put on any NY lists
      08-31-2022, 03:59 PM   #69
JM322
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, Porsche 718, MB GLE35

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpl3ish View Post
Quote:
Are NYC metro allocations out? I see folks in Brooklyn and MA posting this afternoon about receiving one but I am being told not yet.
i got 2 calls today from NJ dealers that i had an allocation spot ready for me i didn't get put on any NY lists
How long ago did you go on those nj lists?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 04:17 PM   #70
apexes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4C View Post
100% agree. Prices are coming down. The manufacturers would love to have a some subtle collusion to limit supply but 1) there’s no way one manufacturer won’t break to boost sales and that makes the whole thing crumble, but more importantly 2) even within the same marque, we have dealers in the US and there will always be the dealer who breaks and starts discounting to drive volume and then the dealer two towns over will inevitably follow.

So yes, automakers put out that messaging that this would be the “new normal” but that was just to make people feel ok paying MSRP - or above. There’s too many stakeholders for them to ever be able to pull that off. Auto sales will be back to pre-pandemic normal in another year or two (faster if there’s a meaningful recession). It’s unavoidable (at least in the US).
Manufacturers make their money by selling vehicles to dealers, not customers. It is in their best interest to increase volume up to the point where the profits exceed the amount they have to spend to support its retail partners with marketing, incentives, etc. Specialty models such as "M" vehicles are typically the ones they make the most profits on as they rarely have to incentivize them and they can charge higher margins. As component suppliers are able to increase production, manufacturers will increase production, but where European and other world markets have always been accustomed to a factory order business model, the US market has long been a dealer stock model. This is one area where there will be long term shifts in business dynamics. While the manufacturer benefits from increasing production, it's dealer partners here in the US have come to realize the profitability is far greater when they don't have to "stock" vehicles. There will definitely be a middle ground and things should improve from where they are today, but aside from any potential poor economic conditions I don't foresee returning to supply levels and big discounts similar to a couple years ago.

On top of that, companies like Tesla are influencing others to follow a direct to customer sales structure - no discounts and everything is built to order by the customer. Ford has already committed to this direction to make EV's a profitable venture, and others will likely start to adapt similar models.

Manufacturers are not creating the supply shortage intentionally, and they do not benefit from dealers charging over MSRP. Both of these are detrimental to their business, especially the latter as it tends to create a poor brand experience that impacts loyalty.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #71
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Great day in BMW M3 land! I ended up passing my allocation onto the next person. Going a different direction for my next car, but excited to see the allocations flowing like the salmon of the Capistrano
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 05:15 PM   #72
nightjar
Rep
Drives: SW20-red, G80-green, R35-blue

Anyone seeing allocations in PA?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:27 PM   #73
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar View Post
Anyone seeing allocations in PA?
I got one from a PA dealer , about 2 weeks ago.
They received 3 M3 allocations this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:27 PM   #74
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

A few available allocations just came in
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:01 PM   #75
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealBMW View Post
A few available allocations just came in
Any M3 comp x drive at MSRP with no APR markup?

Are you in the east coast
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:31 PM   #76
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I'm sure there are a bunch of people who have been waiting a long time for allocations who are reading this and getting furious.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:17 PM   #77
Worm25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Any of these allocations for Individual paint?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:19 PM   #78
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm25 View Post
Any of these allocations for Individual paint?
A dealer can submit individual paint request for any allocation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #79
caveatesq1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G92 M3 Comp xDrive and G93 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctelimad View Post
Any M3 comp x drive at MSRP with no APR markup?

Are you in the east coast
The Springfield dealer is in NJ and wants $5k over.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:26 PM   #80
ctelimad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Quote:
The Springfield dealer is in NJ and wants $5k over.
We're living in crazy times
I will not pay a single dollar above MSRP for an M3
Happy to wait
Appreciate 3
MassComp2123.50
bmwdrive464.00
      09-01-2022, 12:36 AM   #81
MarkInDallas
Rep
Drives: Incoming M3 XDrive

M3 xdrive, and been on the Sewell Plano waitlist since November of 2021.

Supposedly 7th in line as of a month ago… but was also told I was 7th in March… so feeling like I am getting jerked around by this old Classic dealership (now Sewell) or they either don’t know how to manage a waitlist or just don’t get many allocations.

Was told by a rep at Sewell in grapevine I really should have my car by now and he’s trying to make it right. Unfortunately starting back over with grapevine means I’m number 30-something on the list of I were to just cut bait with the Plano location. Cannot be in two lists at the same time with Sewell.

Quite a bit frustrated, but good news, have an official order placed with crest Cadillac for a 6mt ct5-V Blackwing… said there is a chance I get it prior to Christmas. Guess we will see which fulfills first.

Not at all what I expected with Sewell, but maybe it’s just growing pains with their new location?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 06:03 AM   #82
e46grk
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInDallas View Post

Supposedly 7th in line as of a month ago… but was also told I was 7th in March… so feeling like I am getting jerked around by this old Classic dealership (now Sewell) or they either don’t know how to manage a waitlist or just don’t get many allocations.

Was told by a rep at Sewell in grapevine I really should have my car by now and he’s trying to make it right. Unfortunately starting back over with grapevine means I’m number 30-something on the list of I were to just cut bait with the Plano location. Cannot be in two lists at the same time with Sewell.

Quite a bit frustrated, but good news, have an official order placed with crest Cadillac for a 6mt ct5-V Blackwing… said there is a chance I get it prior to Christmas. Guess we will see which fulfills first.

Not at all what I expected with Sewell, but maybe it’s just growing pains with their new location?
There seem to be many dealerships that have less than 10 people on the list. Maybe you should make a lot more phone calls. I know you've waited already on one but that's all sunk cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #83
caveatesq1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G92 M3 Comp xDrive and G93 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46grk View Post
There seem to be many dealerships that have less than 10 people on the list. Maybe you should make a lot more phone calls. I know you've waited already on one but that's all sunk cost.
Was thinking the same thing. A bunch of allocations were dropped in the last few days - with some dealers getting multiple (like 5 or more). If you call around, you are likely to find one. Just yesterday BMW of Meridian had 3 available at $2,500 over - not ideal, but sure beats playing the waiting game.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:04 AM   #84
cryan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInDallas View Post

Give BMW Temple and BMW South Austin a call...they both got allocations this week
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #85
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopiarz3 View Post
just got a call that I received an allocation!

wtwo3 you should have got a call too!
Did they end up giving you a production #? I'm still waiting for mine... texted the CA yesterday but no response. Originally said they submitted for approval for individual color and will send everything over once that comes back.... but they should still at least be able to provide me with a production #.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:17 AM   #86
nightjar
Rep
Drives: SW20-red, G80-green, R35-blue

Anyone aware of a dealer in the Northeast with allocations at 2500 over? I've made a ton of calls. Not having any luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #87
Zircon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4CX, MT09, YZF-R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue0310 View Post
So funny thing is my SA indicated that they weren’t expecting another allocation drop until early October. This was right when I put my deposit down in early August. I kind of got excited after lurking in the forums and reading posts with people getting allocations. Also people indicating the allocations were coming irregularly. Seeing your post brought me back to what my SA said about the October allocation drop. Oh well, not much we can do except hope that they are wrong. Maybe a member that works for a dealer can chime in. Rather have my hopes crushed now rather than checking the forums all the time to see if people are getting them.
Europe here.
Switched my order to M4 at the end of December. Three weeks ago I was told by my SA that the allocations for September and October came together and I'm not on the list. A different dealer confirmed the September + October part.
Monday got another call from my SA. The car will be produced and (probably) delivered this month ...

I believe BMW is really getting messed up by the current supply problems and their planning accuracy went down.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #88
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
I believe BMW is really getting messed up by the current supply problems and their planning accuracy went down.
Things are way better now than how it was early this year.
Appreciate 0