BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #1
BimmerKay
Experienced Newbie
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: M3x

Insights on out-of-state ordering

Hello everyone,

I am finally jumping back into the BMW game and am looking to place an order on a G80. I currently reside in the Tristate area. Whilst trying to find a dealer that would work with me, I kept getting disappointed. Here's my dilemma:

I work for BMW NA and would be ordering my car as a "corporate lease", the reason why this is important is that BMWNA does not allow a dealership to sell a car to a corporate employee with a market adjustment. Whenever I present the fact that I am a corporate employee, Dealerships tend to ask for allocation favours, for which I respectfully decline. I would love to get into the details of how corporate leases for BMWNA employees work but unfortunately, that is confidential info...

Here's where the out-of-state question comes into play:

I have a buddy of mine in the state of Illinois that has an extensive relationship with his local dealer. He has purchased many BMW's from them and they never failed him. I connected with this dealership and they agreed to help me out.

Question to the folks that have purchased their vehicles in a different state, how was your experience and your process? Which companies would you recommend for transport? What is the cost/rate (relative to where you ordered from and where you live) you were given for shipping?

Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 07:50 AM   #2
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerKay View Post
Question to the folks that have purchased their vehicles in a different state, how was your experience and your process? Which companies would you recommend for transport? What is the cost/rate (relative to where you ordered from and where you live) you were given for shipping?
I have bought most of my vehicles out of state and shared my G80 dealer experience in this thread - https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1941861.

I found several local dealers selling vehicles for MSRP as well but they had a long waitlist and hardly got any allocations even though they are M certified dealers. There wasnt any difference cost wise and i placed my order with a dealer whoever gave me the first allocation.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 07:57 AM   #3
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
purchased my last two cars through a broker and out of state, different broker and different dealer each time. Smooth process without ever having to set foot in the dealership. I will easily do it again.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I've bought many cars out of state, some from dealers, some from individuals. The dealer will likely take care of the paperwork, taxes, etc. for you, especially since it's a lease.

Transportation is a hassle. Lots of information on that on the Internet, basically most people go through brokers who try to find the lowest cost trucker to take your load and make a profit on the difference in price. Big companies like Interstate and others don't use brokers and provide a higher level of quality service, but they are all enclosed transport and cost a fortune.

Really, if you can spare the time, the best thing to do is fly out there and drive the car home. It can be a fun trip, you get to put down some break-in miles and bond with the car, and often it will prove to be much less expensive than shipping and without the worry.

I have also, on two occasions, hired drivers to transport the car for me. Natch you want it to be someone that you know & trust.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
catalleres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
purchased my last two cars through a broker and out of state, different broker and different dealer each time. Smooth process without ever having to set foot in the dealership. I will easily do it again.
I see you are in FL, i'm going through an out of state dealer and taking PC delivery in SC. Did the dealer handle the registration and taxes for you in FL? My dealer is suggesting it's best to not charge me taxes and let me handle the registration process, they'll provide temporary tags. I can pay the taxes and registration fees when I register in FL.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalleres View Post
I see you are in FL, i'm going through an out of state dealer and taking PC delivery in SC. Did the dealer handle the registration and taxes for you in FL? My dealer is suggesting it's best to not charge me taxes and let me handle the registration process, they'll provide temporary tags. I can pay the taxes and registration fees when I register in FL.
Each dealer did that for me both times. Shipped the car with temp tags and mailed me the tag when it was available. FL registration.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 3
      10-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
The biggest thing is ensuring the paperwork is correct and the car is ordered correctly.

Outside of that, most dealerships use a titling company anyways. But if they don't... ensure they are aware of whatever your tax/fees are, but if Bmw FS is involved, this will be correct. If they overcharge, they will get you that refund.

Last thing two things of concern are..making sure pickup/shipping is done. It could be of interest to do a PCD delivery depending on location and making sure the dealership DOES NOT PUNCH A FRONT PLATE if allowable.

I've bought 5 cars out of state and none has been in the same state. No issues
Appreciate 2