BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #199
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
This analogy is as bad as your heart disease - COVID analogy.

If I don't step out of the way, I die. If I, one individual, does nothing to lower my carbon footprint, the effect on Earth is essentially 0. Now if the world as a whole enacts policies to lower carbon output, there is a big positive effect on earth.

So, I fully support government's lowering carbon emissions. As I said, bans and mandates are a really dumb way to accomplish this. My strong preference is with a carbon tax and let the free market figure out the best way. This is fully consistent with capitalism, and in fact, a required part of it.

So, you can still embrace carbon lowering policies and drive an gas guzzler.

It's always a bad idea to assume what others think.
Right.

And it seems that people are too heavily emotionally invested in this subject. It's not a big deal. No one is going to knock on anyones door and demand the keys to their ICE car because EV's are here.

We have time. I'm just saying the whole 2030 or 2035 and some car makers said 2040 are just TARGET dates.

It could happen right up to that time, or it could happen before it. It's happening now.

Right now it seems that there are only 2 issues with people and EV's.

1: cost. As it's still a cheaper option to go with an ICE car in the long run (will be short lived IMHO in 3-5 years).

2: Charging times/battery technology. People hate waiting. We live in a world where everything has to be instant. Battery technology has come a long way just in the past 3 years alone. If people read some EVtech articles, you will understand the HUGE improvements that are on the way for 2024. That's 2 years from now.

Listen, i'm a huge ICE lover for life. That will never change. So i don't get why people are getting upset at the posts here.

No one likes change. But in order to evolve, you need change.

Not everyone sees cars the we we do. They see them as appliances. You use, abuse, dispose and start over. Most people don't give a rats ass about the cars sound, the way it shifts, to feel how smooth an engine is.

People like the latest tech, instant torque delivery, and whatever they think is "safe" for the environment.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #200
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
LOL indeed

But as a country, we really don't care about preservation, or we would live differently.

Producing billions of batteries and not being able to dispose of them is no different than the other billions and billions of items we've produced around the globe over the years with no real plan to dispose of them (medical waste, plastic, silica gel, fluorescent light bulbs, glass thermometers, electronics, just to name a few). It's what we do. We don't care about the "unintended consequences", even when those consequences are staring at us right in the face.

It's all about Instant Gratification.
I know how to determine whether I can take you or anyone else seriously when they make a statement like that by the way they live. So unless you have solar panels on your house and are off the grid, drive EV already, recycle absolutely everything you have, have energy efficient lightbulbs in your house, grow a garden and basically consume nothing you don’t create yourself then a statement like you made is nothing more than virtue signaling. So if you really feel that way there’s absolutely no way you own an M3. If you did your statement would be worse than virtue singling it would be hypocritical.
touched a nerve, huh?

for the record, I live in this world too, so I'm part of the apathy.

and this is beyond what we choose to drive or whether we recycle or if one chooses to invest in solar panels for our homes...it's how we live as a species, and what we choose to care about, collectively, that shows exactly how we feel about the planet.
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #201
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Most people don't give a rats ass about the cars sound, the way it shifts, to feel how smooth an engine is.
I give a rat's ass; on a good day, I'd even give a monkey's ass
Chicane_1050.00
      12-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #202
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or maybe he's just self aware.
Brother if I step out in a street and an 18 wheeler is coming my way I do a hell of a lot more than just become self aware I get the hell out of the way. So if you really do belong to the church of global warming and are dead serious and have total faith in it then I suspect you would be doing something about it personally otherwise it's just paying lip service. That's my opinion.

If I don't step out of the way, I die. If I, one individual, does nothing to lower my carbon footprint, the effect on Earth is essentially 0. Now if the world as a whole enacts policies to lower carbon output, there is a big positive effect on earth.

So, I fully support government's lowering carbon emissions. As I said, bans and mandates are a really dumb way to accomplish this. My strong preference is with a carbon tax and let the free market figure out the best way. This is fully consistent with capitalism, and in fact, a required part of it.

So all these 1000 's of hazardous batteries that start piling up aren't bad for the carbon and bad for the environment? Does anyone even know the effects yet ? Would love to know
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #203
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or maybe he's just self aware.
Brother if I step out in a street and an 18 wheeler is coming my way I do a hell of a lot more than just become self aware I get the hell out of the way. So if you really do belong to the church of global warming and are dead serious and have total faith in it then I suspect you would be doing something about it personally otherwise it's just paying lip service. That's my opinion.

So all these 1000 's of hazardous batteries that start piling up aren't bad for the carbon and bad for the environment? Does anyone even know the effects yet ? Would love to know
I'm sure they are. Governments picking EVs over ICE blindly is bad policy. Carbon taxes, battery disposal taxes, etc are the way to go. Price in all externalities, let the market figure out the rest. That's never going to happen unfortunately. So we're stuck with bans and mandates.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #204
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
LOL you're right.

Or on a REALLY good day when you're in one of these in the future, and you can hear an ICE car take off for a brief second before you destroy it seconds later

Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #205
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
touched a nerve, huh?

and this is beyond what we choose to drive or whether we recycle or if one chooses to invest in solar panels for our homes...it's how we live as a species, and what we choose to care about, collectively, that shows exactly how we feel about the planet.
I just call out hypocrisy when I see it. I do get a bit aggravated by virtue signaling so perhaps it did touch a little nerve.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #206
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Quote:
LOL you're right.

Or on a REALLY good day when you're in one of these in the future, and you can hear an ICE car take off for a brief second before you destroy it seconds later

I have some very fast street cars (9.xx quarter mile) but I've never once raced a fellow motorist from a stoplight or along a public road. When exactly are these Plaid owners expected to safely flex their inverters to other motorists?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 06:37 PM   #207
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right.
No one is going to knock on anyones door and demand the keys to their ICE car because EV's are here.
Very true but only for the United States and only for now. Do you realize that we have a good percentage of our own citizens in the United States and majority of people in Europe that are all for forcing people, you know like holding them down, while someone injects a vaccine into them. So I’m prepared for anything in the future but for right now I agree with you on this point. In the United States I mean.

I want you to know the only reason why I’ve seemed a bit aggravated with you on this subject is because you are so nonchalant about it. When you and I both know the truth is the only reason why EV’s have made this much progress is because its been forced on us by government(s). I guess I’m a bit disappointed that you’re perfectly fine with that. Especially since you own and appreciate gas guzzling sports cars. Your whole attitude just confuses me. Especially since you’ve taken it past being nonchalant and are more really in the enthusiastic column. That’s all.
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      12-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #208
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Very true but only for the United States and only for now. Do you realize that we have a good percentage of our own citizens in the United States and majority of people in Europe that are all for forcing people, you know like holding them down, while someone injects a vaccine into them. So I’m prepared for anything in the future but for right now I agree with you on this point. In the United States I mean.

I want you to know the only reason why I’ve seemed a bit aggravated with you on this subject is because you are so nonchalant about it. When you and I both know the truth is the only reason why EV’s have made this much progress is because its been forced on us by government(s). I guess I’m a bit disappointed that you’re perfectly fine with that. Especially since you own and appreciate gas guzzling sports cars. Your whole attitude just confuses me. Especially since you’ve taken it past being nonchalant and are more really in the enthusiastic column. That’s all.
First of all. Why would anyone you don't know or met have any effect on you at all? That wasn't my intention at all. I don't have any issues with anyone here. We're all car people. We're all BMW people. This is a community.

However we all have the right to share our likes and dislikes.

If any of my posts has shown any slander, or hate towards another because of what they like or dislike, then please show me. Because i know i did no such thing.

You can be a car enthusiast and still like EV's dude. An EV is a CAR. We are CAR PEOPLE.

I already said it in this thread i like new tech. I like evolution. EV is the future and it's happening now. But some of the posts, yours included implied that EV isn't happening, and that it's some hoax (i know you didn't say that word) that all of a sudden we'll wake up one day, open up an internet browser and see an article saying, "No more EV's, car makers are going back to 100% ICE".

All i said was that it's happening sooner than we think. Because the transition is already taking place. Pair that with how fast battery technology is moving in, and we're going to see the transition even faster IMHO. I didn't say ICE will be dead TOMORROW. Didn't say you won't see ICE cars on the road in 2030. I didn't say ICE cars are dumb. I didn't say ICE cars are no good.

I'm saying we're seeing glimpses of what they're about. Look at the plaid, the taycan turbo s. The E-tron. Affordable cars like the model 3/Y performance. Those aren't slow cars. As time goes on, charging/battery technology will greatly improve so the issues people are having trouble with, will soon get trumped by improved technology towards that.

Car makers we all know of today are working on EV's. So if you think a tesla is ugly. That's fine. Not everyone thinks they look good. But guess what? Your favorite car maker will be making an EV that will appeal to your liking from a cosmetic point of view, while being EV. There is nothing wrong with change brother.

I'm not sure what you mean by nonchalant. Like i don't care with what's going on and yet i'm excited about it too?

No that's wrong. I do care what's going on. The point i am making which no one can top the argument to is, what can we do about it?

We can't do anything about. You can keep your ICE car. And then what? It gets older and older and older and then becomes obsolete. Ok nothing wrong with that. You have an ICE toy you cherish. That's fine. I'll have one too. It'll be my C8Z.

But yes i'll be driving an EV as well. No doubt about that. I'm getting my first EV in spring.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #209
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Quote:
touched a nerve, huh?

I just call out hypocrisy when I see it. I do get a bit aggravated by virtue signaling so perhaps it did touch a little nerve.
LOL. Understood. Rest assured, I always look at the man in the mirror.
13mm spacers all around, painted the rear udder, front LEDs added
Revaton Front Lip, Burger Motorsports air intake, OLED tails
Appreciate 1
Patton2502939.50
      12-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #210
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I have some very fast street cars (9.xx quarter mile) but I've never once raced a fellow motorist from a stoplight or along a public road. When exactly are these Plaid owners expected to safely flex their inverters to other motorists?
I saw a plaid this past sunday. He could've ate me for lunch (no homo lol). I didn't know it was a plaid because he was behind me. And i was going to downshift and leave him.

But it's a good thing i didn't, because he rolled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up, and just rolled on by, then i saw the plaid badge and i was like oh fuck. Good thing i didn't mess with that lol

The great thing about a car like the plaid is. It's fast when you want it. And not when you don't want it lol.

Otherwise why do we have M3's? That logic can apply to ANY performance car. We should all drive 18 second cars then. That's enough for the commute.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #211
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
First of all. Why would anyone you don't know or met have any effect on you at all? That wasn't my intention at all. I don't have any issues with anyone here. We're all car people. We're all BMW people. This is a community.

However we all have the right to share our likes and dislikes.

If any of my posts has shown any slander, or hate towards another because of what they like or dislike, then please show me. Because i know i did no such thing.

You can be a car enthusiast and still like EV's dude. An EV is a CAR. We are CAR PEOPLE.

I already said it in this thread i like new tech. I like evolution. EV is the future and it's happening now. But some of the posts, yours included implied that EV isn't happening, and that it's some hoax (i know you didn't say that word) that all of a sudden we'll wake up one day, open up an internet browser and see an article saying, "No more EV's, car makers are going back to 100% ICE".

All i said was that it's happening sooner than we think. Because the transition is already taking place. Pair that with how fast battery technology is moving in, and we're going to see the transition even faster IMHO. I didn't say ICE will be dead TOMORROW. Didn't say you won't see ICE cars on the road in 2030. I didn't say ICE cars are dumb. I didn't say ICE cars are no good.

I'm saying we're seeing glimpses of what they're about. Look at the plaid, the taycan turbo s. The E-tron. Affordable cars like the model 3/Y performance. Those aren't slow cars. As time goes on, charging/battery technology will greatly improve so the issues people are having trouble with, will soon get trumped by improved technology towards that.

Car makers we all know of today are working on EV's. So if you think a tesla is ugly. That's fine. Not everyone thinks they look good. But guess what? Your favorite car maker will be making an EV that will appeal to your liking from a cosmetic point of view, while being EV. There is nothing wrong with change brother.

I'm not sure what you mean by nonchalant. Like i don't care with what's going on and yet i'm excited about it too?

No that's wrong. I do care what's going on. The point i am making which no one can top the argument to is, what can we do about it?

We can't do anything about. You can keep your ICE car. And then what? It gets older and older and older and then becomes obsolete. Ok nothing wrong with that. You have an ICE toy you cherish. That's fine. I'll have one too. It'll be my C8Z.

But yes i'll be driving an EV as well. No doubt about that. I'm getting my first EV in spring.
You kind of ignored what I said and then went on a grand lecture tour. NP
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #212
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
LOL you're right.

I wish they had another camera fixed on the rear to see where the MB ended up. Nevertheless, very impressive indeed.
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #213
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wish they had another camera fixed on the rear to see where the MB ended up. Nevertheless, very impressive indeed.
The plaid put greyhound bus lengths on the MB

A lot of these plaid vs "X" ICE cars are usually the same. ICE car gets the hit while the plaid goes into cheetah mode, then the plaid literally pulls it right in and blows it away.

It's really insane. I never got a chance to ride in a plaid but i will soon. I'm afraid though once i do, that's it, i'm definitely hooked lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #214
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Here's something to ponder. It's seems that by 2025 BMW will have 25% of their cars electric.

ICE, ICE Baby

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1883608

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #215
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The plaid put greyhound bus lengths on the MB

A lot of these plaid vs "X" ICE cars are usually the same. ICE car gets the hit while the plaid goes into cheetah mode, then the plaid literally pulls it right in and blows it away.

It's really insane. I never got a chance to ride in a plaid but i will soon. I'm afraid though once i do, that's it, i'm definitely hooked lol.
I hear you

Recently, I test drove a Volvo SUV. Gutless is all I can say for the turbo 4-cylinder. Then they put me into their all electric XC40 which is basically a RAV4 on steroids; 300kW ready on tap.

It got me interested enough to enquire about the i4 M50 - butttttt - I got a call from my rep moments later saying, "if you want a M4 CSL, place your (substantial) bets now" - the i4 took a back seat (literally and figuratively lol).

It could go either way depending on if I'm lucky enough to get allocation for the CSL
PLF693766.00
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      12-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #216
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hear you

Recently, I test drove a Volvo SUV. Gutless is all I can say for the turbo 4-cylinder. Then they put me into their all electric XC40 which is basically a RAV4 on steroids; 300kW ready on tap.

It got me interested enough to enquire about the i4 M50 - butttttt - I got a call from my rep moments later saying, "if you want a M4 CSL, place your (substantial) bets now" - the i4 took a back seat (literally and figuratively lol).

It could go either way depending on if I'm lucky enough to get allocation for the CSL
I thought of leasing an IX 50? I think that’s the electric suv from bmw but for the price they’re charging, Tesla stomps on it in everything. Range. Power, the supercharging network, price etc. that’s why I’m going with Tesla. It’ll be fun experimenting with different ev’s in the future to meet my daily driving needs.

I happen to like the way Tesla looks, even though the build quality seems questionable sometimes. It’s not always consistent. But to me they look futuristic.

The future def looks fun!
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #217
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
I saw a plaid this past sunday. He could've ate me for lunch (no homo lol). I didn't know it was a plaid because he was behind me. And i was going to downshift and leave him.

But it's a good thing i didn't, because he rolled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up, and just rolled on by, then i saw the plaid badge and i was like oh fuck. Good thing i didn't mess with that lol

The great thing about a car like the plaid is. It's fast when you want it. And not when you don't want it lol.

Otherwise why do we have M3's? That logic can apply to ANY performance car. We should all drive 18 second cars then. That's enough for the commute.
That's why you need AWD M3 with a 1000
Ponies my friend. At least you have a chance from a roll.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #218
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I hear you

I thought of leasing an IX 50? I think that's the electric suv from bmw but for the price they're charging, Tesla stomps on it in everything. Range. Power, the supercharging network, price etc. that's why I'm going with Tesla. It'll be fun experimenting with different ev's in the future to meet my daily driving needs.

I happen to like the way Tesla looks, even though the build quality seems questionable sometimes. It's not always consistent. But to me they look futuristic.

The future def looks fun!
My best friend was looking to replace his wife's Range Rover with a Porsche Cayenne but the dealer didn't have the one she wanted to test drive.

In the meantime, they drove the Taycan. In his words, "it felt like my skin was being peeled off of my face", that's how fast the acceleration was apparently - not to mention the supreme build quality (but I guess I just mentioned it lol)

In my case, I just can't say no to the CSL even though it doesn't make any sense as I will never take it to the track and will probably drive it 500 miles a year. If EV invasion is more rapid than many think, then I suppose it's safe to assume it will be the last of its kind given CSLs come once every 15 or 20 years. On that basis, I'll have to have one for one last hurrah.

But, I will be looking into the EV side of things with a bit of vigour come 2024 (assuming my CSL will be here early to mid-2023)
Chicane_1050.00
      12-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #219
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

I understand CSL deliveries start next summer. Hopefully we'll receive them before 2023.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #220
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
That's why you need AWD M3 with a 1000
Ponies my friend. At least you have a chance from a roll.
No thanks. Out of warranty bmw making that much power? Lol

Not a chance. At that point I’d get a plaid and run with another plaid lol
Appreciate 0