BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

10-12-2021, 09:22 AM   #397
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Dude, relax. Chill on the am coffee. Nobody is accepting anything. We haven't even been formally notified. There's no info yet. Let's wait and see what BMWNA says before we jump off the deep end. That's all we (levelheaded people) are saying.

I am one of the ones who appears to be affected, but there's literally no info out yet. There's no acceptance of anything.

Let's see what the issue is, what the notification is, what the fix is, and what they intend on doing to make it right before we blow a gasket.

I'm typically a hot head and over reactor, but we just need to chill for the minute.
beat me to it
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #398
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
Ok, I just want them to explain to me, how my car was assembled in the middle of those dates, and isn't affected?
Reason for this issue could be several different things: Defective part, Uncalibrated tools or assembly station, Worker error, etc. A manufacturer like BMW will have good traceability to narrow down defective vehicles especially their M lineup.

This thread was created based on initial information provided to dealers and in a matter of days, BMW will provide more information to the dealer which will eventually flow down to the customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Quote:
Ok, I just want them to explain to me, how my car was assembled in the middle of those dates, and isn't affected?
I'm very sure that its not difficult for BMW to know which batch of bad bearings went into which cars. They would know which vins had the bad bearings and recall those cars.. Are we seriously complaining now if our cars aren't in the recall?

and keep in mind there still isn't an official recall in the USA yet. Why dont we wait and see what happens first
Quote:
Quote:
Reason for this issue could be several different things: Defective part, Uncalibrated tools or assembly station, Worker error, etc. A manufacturer like BMW will have good traceability to narrow down defective vehicles especially their M lineup.

This thread was created based on initial information provided to dealers and in a matter of days, BMW will provide more information to the dealer which will eventually flow down to the customers.
But also read the post I was replying to. Do I take the chance that my car wasn't named and down the road, something similar happens, but it's not covered, because BMW didn't identify my build time frame as being a problem?

For reference, I had a similar situation happen to me with my Type R. LPFP recall X affected vehicles. Mine wasn't named, I'm good. Well, 800 miles later, my car is on a tow truck and the LPFP was replaced.

I'd also be curious to see if this is affecting the M4s. Most people I've seen affected, purchased M3s.
Mine is affected. It's an M4
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #399
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.
No need to be concerned about parts outside the affected range.
I'm am a quality guy in automotive, and the traceability for certain safety parts or critical components is very thorough.
I've handled data that showed every single vehicle/VIN with certain airbag inflators during the Takata recall.

I have no doubt BMW has full traceability of the parts and vehicles affected.
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13406.00
kith_m4186.50
dezzracer1182.50
      10-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #400
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm very sure that its not difficult for BMW to know which batch of bad bearings went into which cars. They would know which vins had the bad bearings and recall those cars.. Are we seriously complaining now if our cars aren't in the recall?

and keep in mind there still isn't an official recall in the USA yet. Why dont we wait and see what happens first
Quote:
Quote:

But also read the post I was replying to. Do I take the chance that my car wasn't named and down the road, something similar happens, but it's not covered, because BMW didn't identify my build time frame as being a problem?

For reference, I had a similar situation happen to me with my Type R. LPFP recall X affected vehicles. Mine wasn't named, I'm good. Well, 800 miles later, my car is on a tow truck and the LPFP was replaced.

I'd also be curious to see if this is affecting the M4s. Most people I've seen affected, purchased M3s.
I was trying to see if anyone noticed the possibility of the bearings only being at one of the plants, and not both. So, that answers that, Dingolfing and Munich are both affected.

Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      10-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #401
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
I honestly would be more concerned if I had a car that was manufactured a little time before or after the recall window. Everything in manufacturing and quality control (and life really) is on a statistical bell curve and BMW is trying to guess an acceptable P-Value that covers the most likely failures.
No need to be concerned about parts outside the affected range.
I'm am a quality guy in automotive, and the traceability for certain safety parts or critical components is very thorough.
I've handled data that showed every single vehicle/VIN with certain airbag inflators during the Takata recall.

I have no doubt BMW has full traceability of the parts and vehicles affected.
I agree with this. Plus, I think most people are focused on the assembly date range. It's the engine production range that's important here, and we don't know what those date ranges are. Engine production is completely separate. In the case of the X3/X4s, the engines are shipped from Germany to SC and then put into the cars.

The date range for the car assembly is easy. They figured out a batch of engines that may be affected and their production system spit out the car VINs they ended up in. If your car is in the assembly date range, but your VIN doesn't show this issue, you just simply did not get one of those engines. While your assembly date may be inside the range, your engine may be no where near the affected date range.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 4
kith_m4186.50
SNAGuy91.00
Limegrntaln13406.00
dezzracer1182.50
      10-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #402
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:

OEMs and Tier 1 manufacturers tend to to include vehicles and components in a recall even if they have slightest hint of it being affected. On a scale like this, its a lot easier for them to do a wider recall with additional vehicles than using up resources on case by case under warranty and also answer government bodies when audit issues. Working in the auto industry on several safety critical components for more than a decade, this has always been my experience.
Appreciate 3
Tdubb88188.50
Limegrntaln13406.00
Frosty779.00
      10-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #403
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I was trying to see if anyone noticed the possibility of the bearings only being at one of the plants, and not both. So, that answers that, Dingolfing and Munich are both affected.
The engines are all manufactured in the same plant.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #404
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Now I have a question did a car engine failed? How did they came about with this find?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #405
kith_m4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2022 G82 M4C X Kith

LOL IKR!! I couldn't search on the UK recall site so I tried US site and guess what nothing came out for my M4 that started production on July 14, just 2 days before the recall window and the definition of production date is as iffy as how this whole situation has been.

Quote:
Interesting that the recall isn't searchable by VIN anymore. BMW must've gotten wind of the leak and wants to get out in front of it before anymore hysteria ensues.

Otherwise, very odd coincidence.
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #406
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Now I have a question did a car engine failed? How did they came about with this find?
That's what I wanna know. How do they determine the recall? Obviously an issue presented itself.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #407
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
It would be a confidential information within BMW engineering and quality. Unless an insider leaks that information (which is highly unlikely), its almost impossible to get that information.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #408
shhhhs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW g82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
You're in the same boat as the rest of us who are affected. The US site hasn't updated yet for whatever reason. The info on the UK site is apparently correct and we're just waiting for more info.

Welcome to your new home (thread). Settle in.
Thanks for the info. Will keep following up with my dealer and see what they say (hopefully soon).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #409
shhhhs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW g82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by savi01 View Post
It seems the UK website shows ALL info per VIN, wheras the US site ONLY shows recalls. If you look at the UK site in the debugger, you'll notice that the "recall" option is set to "no" for most of the codes (the stop sale, missing RAM, etc.). Most likely means an official recall hasn't been issued yet, therefore US version wont show anything.

Also, there are many on here who have cars sitting at US ports waiting parts but the US website doesn't show any indication of that, just shows zero recalls. At this point, I think I'd use the UK version for the latest/most accurate info, and not the US version. The US one will show a recall once BMW has confirmed it and sent out mailers/emails/etc. to owners.
Thank you. This makes a lot of sense. Will keep following up with my dealer and see if I can get more clarity in the next couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #410
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The engines are all manufactured in the same plant.
Ok, good.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #411
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
So I was unable to check through the UK check site as it's down but I tried the canada site (https://www.bmw.ca/en/ssl/VehicleRecall.html) and it doesn't show as having a recall.

I tried a vin decoder and it looks like my production date was 2021-09-15. I'm guessing I'm safe since it's an M4 and not an M3?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #412
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
So I was unable to check through the UK check site as it's down but I tried the canada site (https://www.bmw.ca/en/ssl/VehicleRecall.html) and it doesn't show as having a recall.

I tried a vin decoder and it looks like my production date was 2021-09-15. I'm guessing I'm safe since it's an M4 and not an M3?
This doesn't work for U.S. cars
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #413
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

My car finished production on July 3rd so am I 100% excluded from this issue?

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #414
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
It would be a confidential information within BMW engineering and quality. Unless an insider leaks that information (which is highly unlikely), its almost impossible to get that information.
+1.
My guess is the supplier found out the issue after the batch of parts were already shipped to BMW and reported it.
BMW issues recall before any serious incidents could occur.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #415
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
After owning an e46 M3, e92 M3, f87 M2C.

This is just business as usual.
kith_m4186.50
      10-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #416
nottoday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 2022 M4 comp

Garage List
2916 Audi A6   [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate it, and I feel for anyone else in this situation. It sucks. I feel worse for the people that have taken delivery of the cars that are affected, because they really have no options. Im sure BMW doesnt have the manning, but id be happier if they sent engine specialists to repair the affected problem. Or, offer that extended warranty. And for me, since my VIN isnt listed, but I fall in that window, I get no guarantee, for anything.
Hey, your Vin is not listed?

Can you tell me how you found out your Vin was not listed?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13406.00
      10-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #417
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoday View Post
Quote:
I appreciate it, and I feel for anyone else in this situation. It sucks. I feel worse for the people that have taken delivery of the cars that are affected, because they really have no options. Im sure BMW doesnt have the manning, but id be happier if they sent engine specialists to repair the affected problem. Or, offer that extended warranty. And for me, since my VIN isnt listed, but I fall in that window, I get no guarantee, for anything.

Access to the sites we've been using to check, have recently been mysteriously disconnected by BMW. We were using their own UK site for VIN recalls, but it seems like BMW has removed the API. But before that, you could enter your vin number in the site, and it would tell you recalls or TSBs that affected your VIN.

Appreciate 1
nottoday175.50
      10-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #418
nottoday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 2022 M4 comp

Garage List
2916 Audi A6   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoday View Post
Quote:

Access to the sites we've been using to check, have recently been mysteriously disconnected by BMW. We were using their own UK site for VIN recalls, but it seems like BMW has removed the API. But before that, you could enter your vin number in the site, and it would tell you recalls or TSBs that affected your VIN.
Okay, thank you.
Yeah, I tried that UK site today and a message on the site said "Application is not available"
Appreciate 0