Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
H&R vs adjustable spring setup from KW and MSS

Team,

In light of my 2023 M4 order receiving Production Scheduled status its time to investigate first modes.

Suspension

With mods on my previous bmw 3 series I liked the lowered look but hatted how bouncy it could be on the slowing carbs.

I read a lot about KW, MSS and could not really find the answer which setup would be best to have no "bouncing" on carbs etc.

Also reading and watching H&R spring setup I see I can get great visual results for half of the KW and MSS costs. But then some say its bouncing and other are saying its most stiff spring so its comfort is not great. So dang Im confused, as for me stiff does not align with being bouncy at the same time

What setup I should go to keep original suspension stiffness feel?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Look in the suspension section. There are tons of threads discussing every available brand/option, their individual pros and cons, and real world reviews from users. Below are just a few of what you can look at. It will take a while, but reading all the information is the only way to truly understand what is available and how to make a decision or you.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29048601

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28972374

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28712041

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27887231
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Thank you very much. A lot of data on H&R springs and wondering why I could not find any of it with the use of forum search. But now continuing the read, half way through

And ugh… wanted to place it in Suspension section and have no idea why I placed it here…
Sorry for mess.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #4
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostro View Post
Thank you very much. A lot of data on H&R springs and wondering why I could not find any of it with the use of forum search. But now continuing the read, half way through

And ugh… wanted to place it in Suspension section and have no idea why I placed it here…
Sorry for mess.
No worries...hope you find the info you are looking for. Most seem happy with whatever option they choose, though that could just be confirmation bias to justify their expense. Some people unhappy with each of the options for various reasons.

I'd say most important factors to consider...are looks or ultimate handling/performance your primary goal? How much are you willing to sacrifice ride quality (i.e. comfort) for peak grip? Are you tracking the car regularly or just daily driving it? How much is ground clearance an issue for you (driveways, speed bumps etc)? How low do you want the car?

Depending on how you answer some of those, certain options may be excluded.
2022 G80 comp X-drive:San Marino Blue/ Silverstone, 826 bicolor, cf roof; exec pkg; shadow lasers; carbon pack; MSS HAS; spacers (15/12); Burger intakes; Unit17 front lip/CS Style spoiler; TLG flappies; full xpel ppf + 15% tint; AWE switchpath exhaust w/mid-pipes; csl strut brace; Eventuri cf engine cover
Gone: 2020 M340i; 2017 F30 340i; 2008 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Very valid points. Just laying them out
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im using the MSS lowering kit on my car, and I'm very happy with the result. The car is much more planted to the ground but not too harsh. Perfect for daily driving.

I will be installing the H&R adjustable kit this week and will be posting my feedback in a week or so

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
gatedR91.00
Bostro531.50
      06-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im using the MSS lowering kit on my car, and I'm very happy with the result. The car is much more planted to the ground but not too harsh. Perfect for daily driving.

I will be installing the H&R adjustable kit this week and will be posting my feedback in a week or so

What does the message mean that said limited chassis stabilization on the dash? This setup still retains the active suspension correct?
      06-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
What does the message mean that said limited chassis stabilization on the dash? This setup still retains the active suspension correct?
Yes, everything remains the same. You get the message when you are messing with the suspension, but it goes away right after and never comes back

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      06-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

Sorry for mess.
Yea, forum search function is not the best.

Based on what you described, I do recommend MSS.

H&R Sport tend to bounce on bad road condition.
KW HAS is more for comfort.
While MSS is firm and smooth out the stock spring stiffness on rear suspension.

All 3 will retain the EDC, so you still be able to adjust the ride stiffness from your M Setup.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #10
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

H&R Sport have absolutely zero bounce for me, I honestly couldn't be happier with them. I feel like this bounce information is some random info that came from another platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

All 3 will retain the EDC, so you still be able to adjust the ride stiffness from your M Setup.

Last edited by jpsimon; 06-30-2022 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fugazii234.50
      06-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
H&R Sport have absolutely zero bounce for me, I honestly couldn't be happier with them. I feel like this bounce information is some random info that came from another platform.
I guess it is depending on your road condition and how sensitive you are to it.
I've tested it on the canyon, and I don't like how the rear bounce and causing rear tires skip on road imperfection. Not when you are on spirited driving.
Regular driving, you won't notice it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 01:33 PM   #12
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

I haven't noticed that (my car is AWD). Was the car in question RWD or AWD? Maybe AWD handles it better.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12975.00
      06-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:

Quote:

+1 - I've had the H&R's on my M3 xdrive since day one and haven't noticed any of this "bounciness" I always hear parroted on these forums.
Appreciate 1
262Hou49.00
      06-30-2022, 02:36 PM   #14
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it is depending on your road condition and how sensitive you are to it.
I've tested it on the canyon, and I don't like how the rear bounce and causing rear tires skip on road imperfection. Not when you are on spirited driving.
Regular driving, you won't notice it.
Interesting. A local performance shop owner trackings his G82 with the H&R HAS kit and says the kit performance amazingly well on the track. I know a track won't have as much road imperfections as the canyons but it's definitely not perfect.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12975.00
      06-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't noticed that (my car is AWD). Was the car in question RWD or AWD? Maybe AWD handles it better.
It was RWD.
The bounce is coming from the rear, so RWD and AWD will be the same since nothing changed on the rear between RWD and AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
Interesting. A local performance shop owner trackings his G82 with the H&R HAS kit and says the kit performance amazingly well on the track. I know a track won't have as much road imperfections as the canyons but it's definitely not perfect.
Again, "BAD" road. BAD is the key word.
And it was on H&R Sport. I haven't had any experience on H&R VTF in this platform, but I have it on my 991.2 and experienced it on F15 X5 and F85 X5M. There are some flaws, but I managed to fix the 991.2 issue with DSC Sport aftermarket PASM controller. While the F15 X5 and F85 X5M, the car suspension setup just suck because BMW uses old airbag technology on the rear suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #16
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for mess.

When you say "bounce", are you meaning more of a sharp up and down kinda bounce or more springing? Like a softer bounce with a few smaller to follow. Sorry for the ignorance on this, but curious. Because I've seen slammed cars on the road that are always bumping up and down on any little bit if road imperfections and looks silly and annoying. Maybe that is what you mean?
      07-01-2022, 08:39 AM   #17
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for mess.

When you say "bounce", are you meaning more of a sharp up and down kinda bounce or more springing? Like a softer bounce with a few smaller to follow. Sorry for the ignorance on this, but curious. Because I've seen slammed cars on the road that are always bumping up and down on any little bit if road imperfections and looks silly and annoying. Maybe that is what you mean?
It is a sharp rebound bounce where it forced the rear wheel to hop and skip. Very noticeable when you are doing a turn and hit some bump.
I've been noticing this H&R characteristics since F97 X3M setup. And I was surprised that even G80 M3 setup does the same thing.
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      07-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #18
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for mess.

It is a sharp rebound bounce where it forced the rear wheel to hop and skip. Very noticeable when you are doing a turn and hit some bump.
I've been noticing this H&R characteristics since F97 X3M setup. And I was surprised that even G80 M3 setup does the same thing.
Well that seems dangerous if going hard in a turn. MSS does not does this?
      07-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #19
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry for mess.

Well that seems dangerous if going hard in a turn. MSS does not does this?
Exactly. And I love turns, always hit it hard when there is opening.
MSS and KW HAS doesn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #20
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

I also love turns and hit it hard if you will. It must take some very specific circumstances/variables to make it happen because I have nothing but confidence driving with these. I mentioned AWD vs RWD because H&R has AWD specific springs which I can only assume mean slightly tweaked spring rates to account for the heavier AWD car weight. Other manufacturers do not have AWD specific springs for this car. Maybe that plays into me not experiencing the same thing. ―\_(ツ)_/―

Last edited by jpsimon; 07-01-2022 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #21
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Quote:

Hi Mike,

Any update on your install? Live is busy so checking in case you forgot ? 😂😜
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #22
svrds
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW M4C xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Mike,

Any update on your install? Live is busy so checking in case you forgot ? 😂😜
Interested to hear feedback as well. Pulling trigger tomorrow and was going to go with H&R VTF. Would love to hear feedback before doing so.
Appreciate 0