BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #89
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

After Initial D and Wangan Midnight, we now have MF Ghost

Many youngsters will follow this manga (just like I and many around me followed Initial D) and end up as a 'petrolhead', literally

Plot:
The series takes place in the 2020s, where self-driving electric cars have replaced internal combustion ones. However, in Japan, there is a large organization called MFG, founded by Ryosuke Takahashi (from the Initial D series), who does street racing with internal combustion cars...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_Gho...bustion%20cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      11-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #90
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Thank you for sharing both, and at the same time I'm astonished you did. So, I'm assuming my calculator is not broken here, but that leaves us with 12 months of fixed-roof production at:

F8X: 2,280 (F80) = 5,500 (F82) = 7,780

G8X: 3,430 (G80) + 3,030 (G82) = 6,460

And G83 on the same 4 month timeframe: F8X: 880 G8X: 280. (minus 600 units on the vert)

Total of -1,920 units, or almost 30%... I can't believe that's entirely chip shortage; F8x's weren't exactly easy to find for most of year 1 either.

Seems all this bluster about 'fastest selling ever' isn't likely to be based on facts to me.
I appreciate you posting this. I will assume that it's accurate. It proves my point exactly. Considering COVID-19 and the part shortage you can see how the new generation M3 sales are significantly better then the previous generation.. To make things worse these numbers obviously don't include how many orders have been placed and unfulfilled or the allocations requested either. Those numbers are astronomical. Once again thanks for posting that.

Lastly before responding with some smart ass remark I realize you're going to disagree with me. That's fine. I ask you to call around and inquire from sales people that have been around for years and see the difference in enthusiasm, orders and allocation requests. Also my only point has been from the beginning that just because some die hard traditionalists on this forum hate change and want to see the same grille on every BMW for the next millennium are upset that doesn't mean most people don't like the new design. The sales numbers prove people like it just fine. At the end of the day you don't have to buy one. So be blessed and have a great evening.

I also realize you're still going to respond with a smart ass remark so go ahead
First, I'm not sure where your smart ass "smart ass" comment comes from, but there's no need for it, it's uncalled for, and I've got no idea who the hell you are. It's not cute, it's not endearing.

Second, I think you need to read my post again. It's not supporting ANY of your stance, yet you post as if it's in line with your potentially incorrect feelings on how the G8x are selling.

You can keep on believing what a dealership tells you because it supports your narratives, but the numbers shared (by a known insider…) don't.

So there's my (1) smart (2) ass comment. Smart as it's logical, ass as that's what I seem to be replying to.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #91
giphlag
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post

The point I made over EVs being not as green as people think is simple:

- there are issues with battery recycling on massive scale in 10 years but we are simply told that they will be used to store energy (may be in some advanced western part of society, but in most cases I can tell you what will happen - Western Europe and USA will be selling these batteries with cars in them to Africa and poorer parts of the world, as almost gifts, like they do today with solar panels - and leave the recycling problem there, not at home). And yes, I think this is dodgy gift, but this is what has been always done by richer countries, and especially last 100 years+. Corruption in poorer countries certainly not helpful, but we also will forbid them to mine fossil fuels and get richer (instead, we offer them our left overs). This is sketchy but no one thinks about this. It is easier that way I suppose...

I hear you on the recycling issue but early signs of movement in that sector have me cautiously optimistic. For instance:

1) American Battery Technology Company just raised ~$40M
2) Redwood Materials got a $50M investment from Ford
3) Li-Cycle received a $100M investment from Koch Investments Group
4) Battery Resourcers raised $70M in funding to expand to Europe

So that's nearly $260M in new funding for these 4 companies alone. I think you need to give this a little bit of time
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #92
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
Oh I would definitely believe what a dealer and car salesman told me lol
Let me ask you this. Why would the sales person give a crap either way? Especially one that you are friends with? I mean it is what it is. Either the ceramic bezel Daytona sells more than the non-ceramic version or not. This is very simple. So when I ask my Rolex buddy who’s been doing it for a couple of decades, which version had more enthusiasm and more demand Sales he just answers the question. This isn’t rocket science. I understand you don’t like the answer with the M3 but it doesn’t change it from being true.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #93
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
First, I'm not sure where your smart ass "smart ass" comment comes from, but there's no need for it, it's uncalled for, and I've got no idea who the hell you are. It's not cute, it's not endearing.

Second, I think you need to read my post again. It's not supporting ANY of your stance, yet you post as if it's in line with your potentially incorrect feelings on how the G8x are selling.

You can keep on believing what a dealership tells you because it supports your narratives, but the numbers shared (by a known insider…) don't.

So there's my (1) smart (2) ass comment. Smart as it's logical, ass as that's what I seem to be replying to.
I don’t think I’m going to engage someone that spins my words into something to create controversy. I’m done with you on this topic. You know exactly what I meant. Plus I wasn’t wrong.

Last edited by Patton250; 11-05-2021 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #94
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I had to come back and add this. I mean you guys really really really really hate this car don’t you? I mean seething and frothing at the mouth hatred.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for sharing both, and at the same time I'm astonished you did.
I also realize you’re still going to respond with a smart ass remark so go ahead
I don’t think I’m going to engage someone that spins my words into something to create controversy. I’m done with you on this topic. You know exactly what I meant. Plus I wasn’t wrong.
Chill, brother. Let's agree to distinguish 'personal taste' and 'different opinion' from 'hate'.

If you like a commodity or a service and order it, or if, for example, you consider your job or significant other the best in the world for you: that's fine; more power to you - you only die once, but you live everyday, so better make the best of it.

If a commodity or service ain't your cup of tea and you don't order it, or if, for example, someone else's job or significant other ain't appealing or interesting for/to you: that's fine too.

And about figures. The fact that a painting sells for millions of dollars or that millions of reproductions of a painting have already been sold worldwide, does by no means restrict you from considering "not feeling it, and not feeling sorry for that".

No prizes to win here.
RowanBuds1707.00
CanAutM321116.50
      11-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #95
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
disagreed. no spin, you made the commentary on getting a smart ass reply. I don't know what the hell you meant because you're coming to a place that has statistics with anecdotes; they're not entitled the same validity.

Plus, facts / feelings; your feelings and what you're hearing from 1 person are not indicative of the broader market here, and ynguldyn has come with receipts.

Thanks for not further engaging, the hole is getting too deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overfreeze View Post
I don't think you understand what facts are...

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #96
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by giphlag View Post
I hear you on the recycling issue but early signs of movement in that sector have me cautiously optimistic. For instance:

1) American Battery Technology Company just raised ~$40M
2) Redwood Materials got a $50M investment from Ford
3) Li-Cycle received a $100M investment from Koch Investments Group
4) Battery Resourcers raised $70M in funding to expand to Europe

So that's nearly $260M in new funding for these 4 companies alone. I think you need to give this a little bit of time
Encouraging indeed. I hope they sort it out, its the only thing that sort of bugs me. I usually bought all ICE cars as used. But with EV I want to buy new and may be it is dumb, but I feel like with my low mileage I can make the thing last way more and Ill make sure to buy something that gonna look good for my taste for at least 5 years+. And then we can see how reliable they are. As my Porsche dealer told me, Cayenne leaks oil and Taycan and Panamera Hybrids have some electrical issues. None can be trouble free, still a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #97
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
After Initial D and Wangan Midnight, we now have MF Ghost

Many youngsters will follow this manga (just like I and many around me followed Initial D) and end up as a 'petrolhead', literally

Plot:
The series takes place in the 2020s, where self-driving electric cars have replaced internal combustion ones. However, in Japan, there is a large organization called MFG, founded by Ryosuke Takahashi (from the Initial D series), who does street racing with internal combustion cars...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MF_Gho...bustion%20cars.
You will never get rid of the need for speed!

This whole situation reminds me of the movie Demolition Man.

Where the above ground neutered and controlled population goes around in their teslas and does the covid air handshakes(im sure they are all vaxxed too).

Meanwhile the real bunch are driven underground and have their hot rods and ICE cars, and just dgaf about the new trends amd predictions and climate rules!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #98
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
The countries and companies that jump on the EV bandwagon will come to regret it one day.
The opposite is more likely to be true.
Take a look at a documentary called The Dark Side of Green Energy

then wake up
Take a look at hundreds of other documentaries that make the opposite case. Better yet, read some peer reviewed research papers…

Anyone can create a documentary about anything. I bet there are ones about how great smoking is for your health as well. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #99
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at hundreds of other documentaries that make the opposite case. Better yet, read some peer reviewed research papers…

Anyone can create a documentary about anything. I bet there are ones about how great smoking is for your health as well. LOL.
What i do know is it creates more pollution and uses more resources in the creation of EV than the traditional,

So if you think you are somehow fighting pollution by getting a EV, thats a false assumption , its actually the opposite

And dont even mention how old used up batteries are disposed of, they are a toxic threat to the environment way worse than burning fossil fuels
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #100
giphlag
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
What i do know is it creates more pollution and uses more resources in the creation of EV than the traditional,

So if you think you are somehow fighting pollution by getting a EV, thats a false assumption , its actually the opposite

And dont even mention how old used up batteries are disposed of, they are a toxic threat to the environment way worse than burning fossil fuels
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own "facts". None of what you just said is rooted in any scientific research or peer reviewed studies.

You may not like this transition to electric transport but that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do. So I'd rather you just say, "hey, this crap is garbage and I'm not gonna buy an EV" than pretend you have some strong, international-backed research on how somehow EVs are worse for the environment.

ICE cars have gotten infinitely more efficient and cleaner over many decades but somehow EVs have to be the ultimate clean-machine from the get-go?? Do you know how much research and funding is going into battery technology? They are just getting started.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #101
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own "facts". None of what you just said is rooted in any scientific research or peer reviewed studies.

You may not like this transition to electric transport but that doesn't make it the wrong thing to do. So I'd rather you just say, "hey, this crap is garbage and I'm not gonna buy an EV" than pretend you have some strong, international-backed research on how somehow EVs are worse for the environment.

ICE cars have gotten infinitely more efficient and cleaner over many decades but somehow EVs have to be the ultimate clean-machine from the get-go?? Do you know how much research and funding is going into battery technology? They are just getting started.
What your not looking at is your new electric EV platform is built on the fossil fuel platform.

Ie. there would be no batteries for you unless there was huge trucks and caterpillars runnung on diesel mining the crap out of the mountain and bringing it over it on ships running off fossil fuels across the ocean

You couldnt exist without that underlying platform.

When tesla has to test their new roadster at the nurburing they have to bring in portable diesel generstors to charge your precious EV

Its just hypocrisy built on layers of hypocrisy.

You act like electricity is some infinite resource that gets extracted from the ether, no man, theres alot of fossil fuels that get burnt to generate that too

Its a phony attempt to cajole bleeding heart yuppies into smart city grids where, with a flick of a switch, they got you by the balls!

No matter what, with my ICE, I can go anywhere anytime i please at the drop of a hat, and nobody can do nothing about it. Its called being FREE. Tell me if you can do that with your EV
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #102
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
BMW has iX and i3 with charger on wrong" side for many and i4... Till 2025.
BMW also has the iX3 in the rest of the world.

It looks like the i7 and the iX1 will debut in 2022/2023, and the i5/iX2 in 2023/2024 - those aren't niche cars anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #103
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The countries and companies that jump on the EV bandwagon will come to regret it one day.

then wake up

Maaaan

you've got to be ignorant or delusional not to acknowledge we are raping the planet with removing FINITE resources at an alarming rate such as lithium, vanadium, Palladium, copper, ..... with such a high cost to the environment with the questionable mining practices in play to extract such minerals ..... to make batteries that Afterall get charged by electricity that is generated by gas or coal-fired power plants

..... in order to not burn fossil fuels in ICE engines that have become several hundred percent more efficient than those produced a mere 10 or 15 years ago

aaaaaand we have not yet quite quit the ICE engines, just imagine how bad it'll get when 2030 comes around ... but thank God, we've got Elon to mine Mars and bring all the lithium you need back to Earth once we've depleted all natural resources and RARE-EARTH minerals to exhaustion - after all, there is a reason they're called RARE

To top that, it is a known fact that the largest portion of pollutants are generated in agriculture and industries pumping out garbage you don't need but buy because capitalism forces you to without you knowing it. There are 25 million people in Australia but over 200 million cows and sheep whose methane release everytime they break wind could run ICE engines for millennia.

Manufacturing and agriculture produce over 80% of greenhouse gases that are choking the planet, NOT ICE ENGINES.

Do you not see the irony? Course not, you're wearing Rose-coloured glasses

BTW, have you given it any thought about how most of these batteries cannot be recycled with current technologies? Best not think about that I guess, just keep the Rose-coloured glasses on and keep smiling
      11-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #104
giphlag
Private
Rep

Quote:
What your not looking at is your new electric EV platform is built on the fossil fuel platform.

Ie. there would be no batteries for you unless there was huge trucks and caterpillars runnung on diesel mining the crap out of the mountain and bringing it over it on ships running off fossil fuels across the ocean

You couldnt exist without that underlying platform.

When tesla has to test their new roadster at the nurburing they have to bring in portable diesel generstors to charge your precious EV

Its just hypocrisy built on layers of hypocrisy.

You act like electricity is some infinite resource that gets extracted from the ether, no man, theres alot of fossil fuels that get burnt to generate that too

Its a phony attempt to cajole bleeding heart yuppies into smart city grids where, with a flick of a switch, they got you by the balls!

No matter what, with my ICE, I can go anywhere anytime i please at the drop of a hat, and nobody can do nothing about it. Its called being FREE. Tell me if you can do that with your EV

Come on man. Roadster? Diesel generators?
Tesla has had a Supercharger at the Nürburgring for over 3 years and hasn't tested a Roadster there in god knows how long.

Your arguments are anecdotal and from many years ago.
Caterpillar and many others are already working on electric mining equipment they are putting into production at Nouveau Monde Graphite in Montreal (just one example).

Are there inefficiencies? Of course! Is it a perfect system already? No!
And it doesn't need to be since we are at the beginning of it.

What do you suggest we do instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #105
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
BMW also has the iX3 in the rest of the world.

It looks like the i7 and the iX1 will debut in 2022/2023, and the i5/iX2 in 2023/2024 - those aren't niche cars anymore.
ix3 is a RWD car with paltry range. From this list i5 would be very interesting to look at (unless it has the chopped nose holes design, in which case no thanks). Lets see what they come up with but im not holding my breath at the moment. They wasted time on those carbon tubs, and now back to aluminum. I really hope new mass market releases arent as edgy as current ix and i4 from the front.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #106
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Come on man. Roadster? Diesel generators?
Tesla has had a Supercharger at the Nürburgring for over 3 years and hasn't tested a Roadster there in god knows how long.

Your arguments are anecdotal and from many years ago.
Caterpillar and many others are already working on electric mining equipment they are putting into production at Nouveau Monde Graphite in Montreal (just one example).

Are there inefficiencies? Of course! Is it a perfect system already? No!
And it doesn't need to be since we are at the beginning of it.

What do you suggest we do instead?
Mining is not anecdotal, do you understand what your saying? How can you electrify your fleet in the middle of the desert or the jungle?? Or the ocean??

You dont need to do anything right now, an investigator looking for a crime , you should just relax and not get behind bad ideas and trends. You also need to understand how things are implemented and disseminated. Your whole worry that the earth is going to run out of this or that itll be ok. Just live with normal consumption and things will work out. Heres a lollipop.

Last edited by GoneIn4Secs; 11-05-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #107
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

then wake up

Maaaan

you've got to be ignorant or delusional not to acknowledge we are raping the planet with removing FINITE resources at an alarming rate such as lithium, vanadium, Palladium, copper, ..... with such a high cost to the environment with the questionable mining practices in play to extract such minerals ..... to make batteries that Afterall get charged by electricity that is generated by gas or coal-fired power plants

..... [COLOR="DarkRed"]in order to not burn fossil fuels in ICE engines that have become several hundred percent more efficient than those produced a mere 10 or 15 years ago[/COLOR]

aaaaaand we have not yet quite quit the ICE engines, just imagine how bad it'll get when 2030 comes around ... but thank God, we've got Elon to mine Mars and bring all the lithium you need back to Earth once we've depleted all natural resources and RARE-EARTH minerals to exhaustion - after all, there is a reason they're called RARE

To top that, it is a known fact that the largest portion of pollutants are generated in agriculture and industries pumping out garbage you don't need but buy because capitalism forces you to without you knowing it. There are 25 million people in Australia but over 200 million cows and sheep whose methane release everytime they break wind could run ICE engines for millennia.

Manufacturing and agriculture produce over 80% of greenhouse gases that are choking the planet, NOT ICE ENGINES.

Do you not see the irony? Course not, you're wearing Rose-coloured glasses

BTW, have you given it any thought about how most of these batteries cannot be recycled with current technologies? Best not think about that I guess, just keep the Rose-coloured glasses on and keep smiling
Calm down. Looks like your mind is made up and you're looking for validation…I am happy for you. I still drive a gas guzzling ICE FWIW. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #108
giphlag
Private
Rep

Quote:
Mining is not anecdotal, do you understand what your saying? How can you electrify your fleet in the middle of the desert or the jungle?? Or the ocean??

You dont need to do anything right now, an investigator looking for a crime , you should just relax and not get behind bad ideas and trends. You also need to understand how things are implemented and disseminated. Your whole worry that the earth is going to run out of this or that itll be ok. Just live with normal consumption and things will work out. Heres a lollipop.

You're not worried about the planet or the resources we use up, I get it. So then why do you give a crap about the EV aspect. They are just doing the same stuff in your eyes, no? Nothing to see here...move along.

Funny thing is, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what you and I think. The industry has decided and hilariously it wasn't even governments that had to dictate it to them because, guess what, they are all as corrupt and useless as can be.

Let's enjoy the last gas cars while we can.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #109
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Straight and to the point from Yale. Not that it looks like anything can change your mind at this point. I've been there...because your already 'know' what you 'want' to know. LOL

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...limate-change/

It's the opinion of https://yaleclimateconnections.org/our-team/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #110
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Hybrid is the clear future but I have my doubts on whether electric cars are it, from environmental and safety perspective. On the other hand, forgoing hybrid DCT development was likely the worst decision in the recent decade of M.

For unknown reasons, it seemed like MF wanted M cars like an Aston Martin judging from his interviews. Funny though, AM are the ones producing hybrid cars with DCT now..