BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

Closed Thread

02-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #111
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
I'm also surprised they're taking this long to break cover. I saw one driving on the road the other day, which I'm assuming is the local dealers. Historically by this stage you'd see some reviews, but I guess it's a bit different now.
If this was one year ago, you could've said COVID, but I don't even know what the COVID situation is like in regards to giving out test mules for review. Wonder if the cars need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before each journalist outlet?
Sure COVID is impacting the whole thing...I mean, we have winter, so usually journalists are invited to warmer places like spain, portugal, south africa...
Now because there are quite some restrictions travelling to these countries, this is probably no option. So let them drive in germany and so on...well, bad conditions, winter tires, so again complains...

I'm sure we would have seen some reviews already if there was no Covid impact, but as it is, probably everything takes a bit longer until all journalists have had their chance to do reviews, before embargo is lifted...

And about sanitizing, sure they have to. Even my local dealer has to clean the car completely only after movement of car for service things...I even was alone testdriving the M4C beginning of January and they cleaned the car before I sat inside and after I finished the drive. Each cleanup took around 20min...they sanitized the whole interior, seats, steering, displays, everything...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #112
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

There are cars over here in California and it's never winter here, so not sure why it being winter to the East is an excuse not to get some driving reviews over here?
      02-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #113
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
There are cars over here in California and it's never winter here, so not sure why it being winter to the East is an excuse not to get some driving reviews over here?
I get your point, I did not mean because of winter in europe not possible to do drives over there, but I can imagine that BMW wants to release embargo at same time for all, once enough reviewers had their chance to do their reviews..

This actually plays a big role nowadays, it does not help if you make your living with car reviews, but only can „review" this car 2,3 months later than others...not much would be watching your review.

That is why I think it may take a bit longer...
Appreciate 3
Jcali861479.00
Scorp!on1511.50
VIERsr2623.00
      02-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #114
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

I get you, that makes sense.
      02-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #115
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Honestly I prefer to watch a good technical review (a la savagegeese) 2-3 months or even a year later than any click bait self proclaimed car journalists entertainers that don't even take time to learn the cars features and options etc..

Hell, that Mr AMG guy just baught an M2cs and is announcement video was full of errors concerning the car, ridicule..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:45 AM   #116
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Honestly I prefer to watch a good technical review (a la savagegeese) 2-3 months or even a year later than any click bait self proclaimed car journalists entertainers that don't even take time to learn the cars features and options etc..

Hell, that Mr AMG guy just baught an M2cs and is announcement video was full of errors concerning the car, ridicule..
just out of curiosity:
what was exactly wrong?

I watched the video but didn't notice anything specific. But wasn't that attentive tbh...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:53 AM   #117
M-Enthusiast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 320d M (G20) M4 Comp RWD (G82)

Joe Achilles mentioned recently that reviews will be worldwide available on the 10th of March. It was a response I saw on social media.
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2021, 04:28 AM   #118
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
a weight increase to add a configurable awd system
The weight increase doesn't only apply the AWD cars, the RWD G8x cars are also heavier than the F8x cars.

The G8x are marginally larger cars, so more sheetmetal. It seems there's somewhat less model specific engineering gone into this generation that might have helped cut weight - in the name of cost-cutting no doubt (the M3/M4 video series on YT focusses on the more glitzy aspects of the car compared to the videos made for the F8x gen, carefully avoiding areas of detail where they've not made such an effort).

Combined with more safety, electronics & comfort items etc, its almost guaranteed these cars would be heavier.

Having said all that its high on the list to replace my F82, although I'm tempted to add M550i (new to the UK range with LCI), M850i & M5 to my considerations too; more power & torque than M3/M4, same ZF 8-speed AT, all of these are X-Drive and there isn't such a big weight difference now.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 04:37 AM   #119
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Enthusiast View Post
Joe Achilles mentioned recently that reviews will be worldwide available on the 10th of March. It was a response I saw on social media.

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 04:42 AM   #120
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
There was a video here, can’t recall which one that eluded to that reviews will come in March. Fully agree though that it’s way to late for those who wanted/want to be early when orders opened up. Kind of going in blind on the driving character of the car.
While I agree reviews help to gain some insight into the cars actual driving aspects (rather than just what the seats look like etc) and I'm equally looking forward to them, I still wouldn't have ordered or committed to a car solely on the basis of a review and would still want to drive one as well as maybe compare to other models I'm shortlisting.

Having said that, you guys Stateside should count yourself lucky with regards to the level of access to G8x, judging by photo posts I'm seeing on here and videos on YT.

Over here in the UK, we've had a few videos from the likes of Joe Achilles etc, but absolute radio silence in terms of cars at dealerships or BMW events (same with the regular 4-er, I've still not seen one) - although in fairness we have had a much more strict country-wide & local lockdowns etc in the UK limiting activities.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 01:58 AM   #121
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
The weight increase doesn't only apply the AWD cars, the RWD G8x cars are also heavier than the F8x cars.

The G8x are marginally larger cars, so more sheetmetal. It seems there's somewhat less model specific engineering gone into this generation that might have helped cut weight - in the name of cost-cutting no doubt (the M3/M4 video series on YT focusses on the more glitzy aspects of the car compared to the videos made for the F8x gen, carefully avoiding areas of detail where they've not made such an effort).

Combined with more safety, electronics & comfort items etc, its almost guaranteed these cars would be heavier.

Having said all that its high on the list to replace my F82, although I'm tempted to add M550i (new to the UK range with LCI), M850i & M5 to my considerations too; more power & torque than M3/M4, same ZF 8-speed AT, all of these are X-Drive and there isn't such a big weight difference now.
They came out with the CLAR platform a few years ago to lower the weight of their cars, but that doesn't really help when the cars are growing in size with every new generation.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 04:09 PM   #122
n55f15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240I

BMW Blog was on Instagram live earlier and said that they drove the car, but impressions are still a few weeks out
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #123
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
BMW Blog was on Instagram live earlier and said that they drove the car, but impressions are still a few weeks out
Embargo?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 11:11 AM   #124
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

It's getting a bit weird for sure ....

Cyberpunk 2077 vibes if you get the reference ...

I hope it turns out better
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #125
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55f15 View Post
This would line up with a dealership telling me they would get the car in mid to late March. Yet, (and correct me if I'm wrong), in the past didn't driving reviews come out much sooner when compared to launch?

I understand COVID must have had an impact...but still.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #126
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
March 10th the embargo lifts per BMW Blog
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #127
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
They came out with the CLAR platform a few years ago to lower the weight of their cars, but that doesn't really help when the cars are growing in size with every new generation.
Yep, I probably should have been clearer in my comment about 'model specific engineering', what I meant was between the regular G2x 'series' production cars and the M-specific chassis.

Comparing the technical detail videos of the previous F8x gen to what they're releasing on YT with the 'M3/M4 Explained' series indicates a definite shift in focus to more marketing led items.

Just as a few examples we've lost the carbon drive shaft (I know this changed mid-life on the F8x), carbon front brace, composite boot/trunk lid (on M4) etc in favour of more 'glitzy' items like optional carbon bucket seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #128
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Yep, I probably should have been clearer in my comment about 'model specific engineering', what I meant was between the regular G2x 'series' production cars and the M-specific chassis.

Comparing the technical detail videos of the previous F8x gen to what they're releasing on YT with the 'M3/M4 Explained' series indicates a definite shift in focus to more marketing led items.

Just as a few examples we've lost the carbon drive shaft (I know this changed mid-life on the F8x), carbon front brace, composite boot/trunk lid (on M4) etc in favour of more 'glitzy' items like optional carbon bucket seats.
Yes, I agree with this. The G8X seems seems to be like a step backwards compared to the F8X generation. It seems like they were really heavily focused on cutting cost on this generation...switching to a ZF Auto, stripped out CF drive shaft, stripped out CF Strut Brace, etc.

The 0-60 time is roughly the same even with more power....which is something I find really odd. Compensate extra weight with extra power?

IMO, I feel more engineering and effort was put into the F8X than the G8X.

There was like huge improvements from E9X -> F8X like Twin Turbo, 7 heat exchangers, a better DCT, rear mounted subframe bolted to the car, Single Piston to multi-piston brakes, magnesium oil pan (for like the 1st year), carbon fiber drive shaft, carbon fiber strut brace, a huge jump in 0-60 time from like 4.4 seconds to 3.8/3.9 with DCT Comp/DCT Non-ZCP. Peak Torque was available at a even lower RPM..1900ish to now 2,650/2,750. It's also the lightest M car in recent generations, and then it got heavier..an extra 500+ pounds!!!! The redline also dropped again from like 7600 to 7200.

The only thing that it has going for it is are probably these things:

1) Better Handling (maybe, they said they focused on steering and handling)

2) Nicer and updated Interior

3) Nicer Exhaust tone with burbles

4) With AWD it will be faster...ish?

5) More compliant ride

6) Become less racecar, more mall crawler with those luxury features like Adaptive Cruise control, etc.

But besides all of this, I still can't wait to watch the reviews and hear what reviewers have to say, but I feel that they will voice the same opinion as me that they focused on cost cutting and less engineering into this car.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
HK484.00
tbaig79.50
      02-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #129
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

The F8x platform was a huge move for BMW for a multitude of reasons. NA to TT, V8 to V6, large leap forward in technology, etc.

The G80 platform is more evolutionary and my gut is that they are already focused on the next transformational move to hybrid drivetrains rather than NA motor development.

The M3 has really become the new M5 in both size and purpose with the M2 taking the traditional role of an achievable/entry level (not in a negative way) and more performance focused M car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #130
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yes, I agree with this. The G8X seems seems to be like a step backwards compared to the F8X generation. It seems like they were really heavily focused on cutting cost on this generation...switching to a ZF Auto, stripped out CF drive shaft, stripped out CF Strut Brace, etc.

The 0-60 time is roughly the same even with more power....which is something I find really odd. Compensate extra weight with extra power?

IMO, I feel more engineering and effort was put into the F8X than the G8X.

There was like huge improvements from E9X -> F8X like Twin Turbo, 7 heat exchangers, a better DCT, rear mounted subframe bolted to the car, Single Piston to multi-piston brakes, magnesium oil pan (for like the 1st year), carbon fiber drive shaft, carbon fiber strut brace, a huge jump in 0-60 time from like 4.4 seconds to 3.8/3.9 with DCT Comp/DCT Non-ZCP. Peak Torque was available at a even lower RPM..1900ish to now 2,650/2,750. It's also the lightest M car in recent generations, and then it got heavier..an extra 500+ pounds!!!! The redline also dropped again from like 7600 to 7200.

The only thing that it has going for it is are probably these things:

1) Better Handling (maybe, they said they focused on steering and handling)

2) Nicer and updated Interior

3) Nicer Exhaust tone with burbles

4) With AWD it will be faster...ish?

5) More compliant ride

6) Become less racecar, more mall crawler with those luxury features like Adaptive Cruise control, etc.

But besides all of this, I still can't wait to watch the reviews and hear what reviewers have to say, but I feel that they will voice the same opinion as me that they focused on cost cutting and less engineering into this car.
Too true, despite all this I still can't wait to see one, see/read the full reviews and drive one!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread