G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums AUSTRALIA

04-07-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
Tigo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 xDrive, G01 X3 M40i

Question Thoughts on tyres for G8x

hey all,

If you're a Sydney-sider enjoying the NSW roads - what tyres are you running - would you recommend? (loads of construction/road works - pot holes and all the good stuff of a poorly maintained road network!)

Currently have the michelin PS4S run-flats on the car, and just thinking about what to replace them with in the future! Driving - regular commutes, and occasional spirited drive at the open roads, no track!

I'm quite happy with RFT PS4S, except for the price tag of replacing a tyre. At 1000km had a screw go into the side of the rear tyre, and replacing it at the dealer was 1K! Replacing a PS4S on my previous C43 was $400! More recently had another screw go straight in the middle of the tyre, - so, was a patch fix for $50.

Do I replace the tyres with regular non-runflats - sticking with the PS4S which I'm quite happy with. Or, just pay for the run-flats?

At the Advanced Driving Course they were recommending bridgestone? Forgot the model though - any thoughts - experience with them?

Or other brands?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #2
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I still have stocked Pirellis and they still do decent job so far. PS4S is much better one I think and some guys have already tried and had positive feedback on the Toyo 888r. Wouldn't think our model needs a RF type but it would be benefit if you're happy with it.
Appreciate 1
Tigo7.50
      04-13-2023, 06:53 PM   #3
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I had no idea Michelin did a PS4S RFT! How have they been in your experience OP?

I have a G81 on order and the dealer isn't sure what tyres it will come with, seems to be a bit of a lottery but hoping it's Michelins. Been very happy with the PS4S on my F82, not in love with the P Zeros on my G01 X3.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 07:37 PM   #4
Tigo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 xDrive, G01 X3 M40i

I find the PS4S RFT to be great - they're grippy on the corners - turns - feel as though the car is moving on rails - very much confidence inspiring. They do not leak much air over time - if you leave the car in the garage for 1-2 weeks - a good seal on them & metal caps does the trick. Not sure on their life milage yet - still under 10k on the car.

When driving over slightly unsealed road - thanks to construction - or some pebbles on the road - I'm always driving ridiculously slow, as I do hear the tires picking up the pebbles to throw around - and don't want to damage the paint (yup, do have mudflaps on). Perhaps one may view them as a bit loud and heavy given that they're RFTs.

Plus side for me, although I've experienced screws in them - I still managed to continue my drive to my destination and commutes - travels, till I could organise a replacement / repair of the tire. The comfort - convenience of not having to stop to deal with a flat-tire is fantastic. I did have to stop - inflate the tires to continue the drive though - which is expected, and I always carry with a pump along with the seal-repair kit for emegencies. I haven't yet tried the road-side assistance - it's still a foreign concept for me.

For myself, their only downside is that they're expensive for a tire. Else, all happy. I'll certainly shop around for them or something similar when they're due for replacement.
Appreciate 0