BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-17-2022, 03:13 PM   #67
nightwolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
we all do. thanks bmw for only making 1000 of these! really. we want more impossible to get limited edition cars.
says the gt4 driver
Appreciate 1
DAL33S703.00
      11-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #68
DAL33S
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F95 X5 M Competition

Thanks for all the comments!

When choosing the colour, I did have a tuff choice. I personally don't like frozen paint to maintain and live with. When having the car PPF'd I did nearly consider a full satin wrap but opted not to in the end as I didn't want to take away from the factory finish.

I seen a few black vehicles and I thought I made a mistake… then I saw the Alpine white in person and wow 😍 right choice for me…

The fixed carbon seats are brilliant and I love the rear lights!

If I'm honest the car's great, I'm enjoying the drive and even the looks.

I think the car is hard to photo correctly and get all the details and is far better in person!
g80z674.50
Simon H876.00
Wes335XI107.00
      11-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #69
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL33S View Post

When choosing the colour, I did have a tuff choice. I personally don't like frozen paint to maintain and live with. When having the car PPF'd I did nearly consider a full satin wrap but opted not to in the end as I didn't want to take away from the factory finish.

I seen a few black vehicles and I thought I made a mistake… then I saw the Alpine white in person and wow 😍 right choice for me…

I think the car is hard to photo correctly and get all the details and is far better in person!
Alpine was the right choice. I couldn't resist the siren song of a grey like the e46 had but now I wish I had AW.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #70
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
says the gt4 driver
Not sure what you are getting at?

Gt4s are easy to get. Easier than this csl. I'm still on a list to get a gt3 at msrp which is probably wishful thinking.

I would love to add a bonafide csl to my collection.
Appreciate 2
ScullyD5165.50
      11-18-2022, 01:57 AM   #71
DAL33S
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:

Alpine was the right choice. I couldn't resist the siren song of a grey like the e46 had but now I wish I had AW.
I don't thing your regret it once you've collected it.

It seems a popular colour and I'm sure it's for a a very good reason.

Maybe I just lucked it with AW 😂

When the collection date?
      11-18-2022, 02:33 AM   #72
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

I wanted to change mine from FBG to black but was told it was too late, so FBG it is now and that'll mean that I have to get it wrapped I guess (which isn't exactly cheap) because I have no idea how to look after the paint and can't afford for it to have any stone chips. There's also a chance that it'll have to be my daily for a while - happy days! That'll be fun in the winter with Cup 2R tyres, and full buckets!
gnx759.50
      11-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #73
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
AW is awesome and looks great with black wheels. I'm thinking FBG might look better with silver. I bought a spare set of CSL wheels for street tires that will get powder coated. Not expecting it to evoke thoughts of the E46 but we'll see how it works out.
      11-18-2022, 03:47 PM   #74
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonHornett View Post
I wanted to change mine from FBG to black but was told it was too late, so FBG it is now and that'll mean that I have to get it wrapped I guess (which isn't exactly cheap) because I have no idea how to look after the paint and can't afford for it to have any stone chips. There's also a chance that it'll have to be my daily for a while - happy days! That'll be fun in the winter with Cup 2R tyres, and full buckets!
Yikes that could be risky especially with a car of this pedigree and power. I saw a stranded M3 this morning on the freeway and am pretty sure it's because of summer tires in freezing temperatures.

Did you consider winter tires for the season?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #75
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just picked it up tonight, it's in my garage right now. I'll do some pics tomorrow.

I need break-in to properly judge. I will say initial thoughts:
- the damping is really impressive, the car is very comfortable both in sport and comfort.
- manual seats are great, I need to move back a setting for more lean.
- I think the steering wheel is less thick than the F series cars and has the same thickness as the M5 CS. The pile to the alcantara may be more plush but it's not that chunky in the right spots.
- I think the car works best on the street in engine "sport plus" and transmission set to "2". I don't like the feedback on the kickback feedback on the transmission in "3". Feels artificial.
- The steering is very direct in sport, on PS4s it's slightly vague. In comfort it's light but in a delicate way, but a vague way.
- The car feels very light and doesn't feel big. Almost feels front mid engined. I think the Top Gear criticism there was very very unfounded.
Appreciate 10
DAL33S703.00
PLF693770.00
Hit_Apex2417.00
lovesm3s127.00
02M3ForMe4270.50
KKSigs1270.00
      11-18-2022, 06:04 PM   #76
DAL33S
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just picked it up tonight, it's in my garage right now. I'll do some pics tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing these!

Enjoy 👍🏻
      11-19-2022, 08:10 AM   #77
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

- the damping is really impressive, the car is very comfortable both in sport and comfort.
- I think the steering wheel is less thick than the F series cars and has the same thickness as the M5 CS. The pile to the alcantara may be more plush but it's not that chunky in the right spots.
- I think the car works best on the street in engine "sport plus" and transmission set to "2". I don't like the feedback on the kickback feedback on the transmission in "3". Feels artificial.
- The steering is very direct in sport, on PS4s it's slightly vague. In comfort it's light but in a delicate way, but a vague way.
- The car feels very light and doesn't feel big. Almost feels front mid engined. I think the Top Gear criticism there was very very unfounded.
Congrats ScullyD
ScullyD5165.50
      11-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #78
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf View Post
says the gt4 driver
Not sure what you are getting at?

Gt4s are easy to get. Easier than this csl. I'm still on a list to get a gt3 at msrp which is probably wishful thinking.

I would love to add a bonafide csl to my collection.
I got a text an hour ago from the CA I bought my CS from. He's got a CSL for 20k at the port in Germany. Glad to connect you if interested. I'm not involved at all — just straight to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #79
frozen773
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e92 ,porsche 911 50th a

Quote:

Congrats!!!
We are waitnig for pics. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #80
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen773 View Post
Quote:

Congrats!!!
We are waitnig for pics. Thank you
Car is just in my garage at the moment, waiting until it's not freezing to put some more miles on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KKSigs1270.00
DAL33S703.00
      11-19-2022, 01:41 PM   #81
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:

You are in NJ! who is your SA? I'd like to still snag one if at all possible
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #82
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

Quote:

I found that when you get heat in the PS4 tires you have more steering feel. However, they're not like the Cup 2s.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 03:56 PM   #83
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

Quote:

Great news, Scully and congrats!
      11-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #84
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
I did take it for a longer drive once the temps got to 40 degrees (I'm at 231 miles, trying to get to break-in). Some more thoughts:

- the best settings I've found for street are:
Engine: Sport Plus
Chassis: Sport
Steering: Sport
Brakes: Comfort
Transmission: Manual 2
Exhaust Button: Off

The transmission in Manual 3 transmits artificial drivetrain shock that doesn't seem to speed the shifts up significantly enough to matter. The exhaust button pumps in too much artificial noise and it still sounds good and authentic with it off.

- Damping feels very expensive and the ride is very comfortable. Car feels like a stiff structure but the ride is better in Sport than the M2 CS in comfort or sport. I think comfort is too soft, but sport is not ragged.
- Breaks are not grabby for CCBs, like they were in F series cars. Some YouTubers made fun of the rear floating calipers, but I think that was done to reduce on street grabbiness and reduce unspring mass at the wheels.
- Feels tossable and fun/light with traction on (not turning that off with cold weather). Does seem like it would benefit from regular Cup2s on the street in warmer weather.
- I do think the car should have a cup holders instead of the wireless charging pad, lightweight door inserts, and no HUD or CA. I also think they didn't take out nearly enough sound insulation. It's a very refined car, the M2 CS has more NVH by quite a lot.
- People should ignore the CSL badge. I haven't driven a G8x, but I had an F80 435i and M4. This is just a really great M4, and I couldn't imagine owning one more dialed down than this. Maybe the delta between regular M4 rwd and this isn't as big as the CS cars were in the F series, but then that just means the base car was really good.
- in the US this is comparably priced to a PDK GT4 with similar options. After owning a GTS 4.0 in 6spd, I would absolutely have the CSL over a PDK GT4. But the ZF8 isn't near sharp as a DCT or PDK, even in this tuned guise.

I'd be curious on DAL33S 's thoughts on how the ZF tuning here compares to the ZF in the M5 CS.

I'll reserve anymore thoughts for post break-in service. Here I am adding gas as the car's tank is way too small lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Hit_Apex2417.00
KKSigs1270.00
Chicane_1050.00
pgeyleg22.50
PLF693770.00
M3 boi3211.00
      11-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #85
DAL33S
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did take it for a longer drive once the temps got to 40 degrees (I'm at 231 miles, trying to get to break-in). Some more thoughts:

- the best settings I've found for street are:
Engine: Sport Plus
Steering: Sport
Exhaust Button: Off

The transmission in Manual 3 transmits artificial drivetrain shock that doesn't seem to speed the shifts up significantly enough to matter. The exhaust button pumps in too much artificial noise and it still sounds good and authentic with it off.

- Damping feels very expensive and the ride is very comfortable. Car feels like a stiff structure but the ride is better in Sport than the M2 CS in comfort or sport. I think comfort is too soft, but sport is not ragged.
- Breaks are not grabby for CCBs, like they were in F series cars. Some YouTubers made fun of the rear floating calipers, but I think that was done to reduce on street grabbiness and reduce unspring mass at the wheels.
- Feels tossable and fun/light with traction on (not turning that off with cold weather). Does seem like it would benefit from regular Cup2s on the street in warmer weather.
- I do think the car should have a cup holders instead of the wireless charging pad, lightweight door inserts, and no HUD or CA. I also think they didn't take out nearly enough sound insulation. It's a very refined car, the M2 CS has more NVH by quite a lot.
- People should ignore the CSL badge. I haven't driven a G8x, but I had an F80 435i and M4. This is just a really great M4, and I couldn't imagine owning one more dialed down than this. Maybe the delta between regular M4 rwd and this isn't as big as the CS cars were in the F series, but then that just means the base car was really good.
- in the US this is comparably priced to a PDK GT4 with similar options. After owning a GTS 4.0 in 6spd, I would absolutely have the CSL over a PDK GT4. But the ZF8 isn't near sharp as a DCT or PDK, even in this tuned guise.

I'd be curious on DAL33S 's thoughts on how the ZF tuning here compares to the ZF in the M5 CS.

I'll reserve anymore thoughts for post break-in service. Here I am adding gas as the car's tank is way too small lol.

I'm currently using the following setting:

Cup 2 R's (wrong time of year for this tyre really) we're having average temp of 6-10c here in UK.

Engine: Sport (wrong weather to try and get power down)
Steering: comfort
Exhaust Button: on (I have Remus OPF back being UK)

I will be coding ASD off on the vehicle.

Do USA cars have secondary cats and OPF aka PPF?

I found the gearbox in 3 would make the vehicle jerking for street being on and off throttle, what I can perfectly describe as e46 M3 with sport pressed 😂😂 Also slowing down in M3 to lights gives you an unwanted thump from the back.

Onto the comparison to M5 CS gearbox software, I would say the CSL is more punchier/aggressive with its changes! Definitely more raw because that's what the CSL is aimed at.

Certainly wouldn't say that the 8ZF is slow and want a DCT. Times have changed and so has the gearbox technology. I read some subjective reviews on this.

I have found the wireless charging dock isn't deep enough and my phone moves around and off pad slightly so won't charge. I haven't had the phone come off it yet. Using iPhone 14 pro (large one)

Overall I'm really enjoying the vehicle.
PLF693770.00
ScullyD5165.50
bri10426094.50