BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-28-2023, 07:59 PM   #45
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
We need that vegan material, redo the survey!
Edible seats and upholstery?
forcefed2562.50
      12-29-2023, 05:46 AM   #46
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
They really f@$&ed up following Tesla down the no buttons route. And we all know how Tesla’s UX is now perceived in the market.

The irony is I counted almost 18 buttons on my current m3 steering wheel and stalks - so the wheel guys really didn’t get the memo!!

If you want to know how to do a great sport luxury interior - I vote the 992 as best in class. It uses digital and voice well, with tactile buttons for climate, adaptive modes, suspension, audio and a few others so you can stay focused on the road.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #47
Skyscraper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
Smart truck. Seats shouldn’t heat unless there’s a person in the seat
If that was the case I couldn't use the seat heater to help keep the pizza hot on the ride home.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      12-29-2023, 02:00 PM   #48
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
They really f@$&ed up following Tesla down the no buttons route. And we all know how Tesla’s UX is now perceived in the market.

The irony is I counted almost 18 buttons on my current m3 steering wheel and stalks - so the wheel guys really didn’t get the memo!!

If you want to know how to do a great sport luxury interior - I vote the 992 as best in class. It uses digital and voice well, with tactile buttons for climate, adaptive modes, suspension, audio and a few others so you can stay focused on the road.
The fact they chose to ship a dash that has the steering wheel block 40% of the sections of the instrument cluster automatically invalidates them being considered for good.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #49
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80indy View Post
What is the basic difference between 8 and 8.5?
After doing a little YT research, I like the ID8 homescreen better. I use the knob anyways…. And the shortcuts.
Color scheme and square climate buttons instead of round ones. Also more configurable instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:38 AM   #50
kiw1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
The biggest problem for me is when I’m doing manual climate options - there’s probably voice commands that I haven’t learned yet.
That's my issue as well, and I live it daily rotating between 8.5 and 7. My wife and I still laugh at how bad it is, despite having owned the 24 X5 for 4 months.
2012 Audi A4 Avant - SOLD
Insta: mtn_m3cx
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:55 AM   #51
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I guess I'm one of the rare few who never uses "auto" mode for climate control. Depending on how I'm feeling I may want it warmer or colder than usual, and there are times I set it to max heat or cold. Sometimes I use the seat heaters / steering wheel in conjunction, sometimes I don't.

Maybe I'm finishing at the gym and it's 55 out - I'm still hot and don't want to be blasted with 75 degree heat, I want to cool down.

Maybe it's 65 out but there's a stiff breeze and fog - I'm cranking it up a bit more than usual.

Mainly, I don't like getting blasted with loud air when it kicks into high gear to try and get the temp "just" right, and it annoys me when I can hear the fans going up and down periodically as it maintains the temp. I'd rather it take an extra minute or two to reach the ambient temp I want without the noise.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 12:02 PM   #52
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I guess I'm one of the rare few who never uses "auto" mode for climate control. Depending on how I'm feeling I may want it warmer or colder than usual, and there are times I set it to max heat or cold. Sometimes I use the seat heaters / steering wheel in conjunction, sometimes I don't.

Maybe I'm finishing at the gym and it's 55 out - I'm still hot and don't want to be blasted with 75 degree heat, I want to cool down.

Maybe it's 65 out but there's a stiff breeze and fog - I'm cranking it up a bit more than usual.

Mainly, I don't like getting blasted with loud air when it kicks into high gear to try and get the temp "just" right, and it annoys me when I can hear the fans going up and down periodically as it maintains the temp. I'd rather it take an extra minute or two to reach the ambient temp I want without the noise.
Maybe you should actually try it? Auto mode doesn’t do any of those things you described on my car.
Appreciate 1
Skyscraper2196.00
      01-01-2024, 12:32 PM   #53
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

So just leave it in auto and click down temp and then when u cooled off from the gym put it back to 67. It’s pretty easy. I never have issues with it. I have fan set to medium. I literally never go into the climate menu. Just click temp down or up a few degrees.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      01-03-2024, 01:28 AM   #54
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The fact they chose to ship a dash that has the steering wheel block 40% of the sections of the instrument cluster automatically invalidates them being considered for good.
That is not my experience, I can see the whole instrument cluster just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 06:27 AM   #55
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Same for me. I can even see the bezel around the screen, so it's not like it's even close. Perhaps if one was very tall, removed the front seat and drove from the rear, AND the steering wheel alignment was way off, it might be problematic.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:11 AM   #56
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Same for me. I can even see the bezel around the screen, so it's not like it's even close. Perhaps if one was very tall, removed the front seat and drove from the rear, AND the steering wheel alignment was way off, it might be problematic.
I believe Berzerker was referring to the 992, which the post he quoted was making out to be an example of a good dashboard. In which case, I definitely agree. It's extremely hard to see the outer 20% of each side of the dash in a 992. And a Taycan. Somehow my Cayenne is a bit better in this regard...maybe 10% on each side is blocked.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:55 AM   #57
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Quote:
I'm talking about the 992, not the G80.
Appreciate 1
MJBO2616.00
      01-03-2024, 08:58 AM   #58
Ankarah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

It’s one of those ‘favs’ that will come and go, like the rising/flipping headlights or wooden panels on the side of station wagons.

It will just take some time for everyone to realize how silly they are, and not at all futuristic or practical.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #59
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankarah View Post
It’s one of those ‘favs’ that will come and go, like the rising/flipping headlights or wooden panels on the side of station wagons.

It will just take some time for everyone to realize how silly they are, and not at all futuristic or practical.
What, screens? You're joking, right? Do you realize how much money they save manufacturers?

Not a fad whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:50 AM   #60
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
What, screens? You're joking, right? Do you realize how much money they save manufacturers?

Not a fad whatsoever.
I'm skeptical on the whole "it saves money" spiel. For every physical button that's removed, software needs to be developed to replace that button. Sure you save on hardware, but you increase software costs. And, knowing how expensive software development is in 2024, that's what leaves me sketpical.

This whole thing started with Tesla and I'm of the firm believe they went this route because they were better with software alone than integrating both, and other manufacturers saw it as "futuristic" and pushed it for marketing purposes, but not because of cost savings.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:39 AM   #61
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I'm skeptical on the whole "it saves money" spiel. For every physical button that's removed, software needs to be developed to replace that button. Sure you save on hardware, but you increase software costs. And, knowing how expensive software development is in 2024, that's what leaves me sketpical.

This whole thing started with Tesla and I'm of the firm believe they went this route because they were better with software alone than integrating both, and other manufacturers saw it as "futuristic" and pushed it for marketing purposes, but not because of cost savings.
I don’t see any possible way a few lines of code shared across multiple models can cost more than building entire physical control panels (that also require software/firmware to operate) that will need to be installed in every one of those models.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:13 AM   #62
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don’t see any possible way a few lines of code shared across multiple models can cost more than building entire physical control panels (that also require software/firmware to operate) that will need to be installed in every one of those models.
Same back at you though, the button setup used in the G8x is/was the same as across the entire 2-3-4 series lineup (and the Supra).

If you want to go across "tiers", the 5 and 7 series use different software as well, so even different hardware button setups are met with differences in software now, as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #63
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Let's be clear, the software that does the work has to be developed regardless whether the control is in a screen or not. The hard button just activates the same routine that the screen widget does. Nothing changes there, this stuff has been software controlled for ages.

The only real difference from a development perspective is creating the UI control. That is certainly far cheaper than designing, prototyping, and manufacturing the physical button. And the UI elements are re-used across platforms, unlike the buttons where the full design cost must be borne per interior layout, and the production costs assumed per unit.

Appreciate 2
MJBO2616.00
chicagofan0019146.00