BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-19-2024, 05:08 PM   #1
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

Exhaust rust

So I jacked my car (up) today and as a man should, replaced the winter tires/wheels with the summer set MYSELF

Toxic masculinity aside, I noticed my rear summer P Zeros were essentially slicks. The only possible conclusion would be that during winter storage, the outer layer shed itself due to poor quality Italian rubber, having nothing to do with me sliding the car around a race track last year at all.

While under the car, I noticed the entire exhaust system was rusted on the outside as well as the muffler and even some rust spots inside the exhaust tip just outside the exhaust valve. I would assume that's normal given I live in the best part of North America, i.e. Canada. The combination of cold, moist, free healthcare air would do a number on exposed metal I suppose.

I want to avoid that if possible on my next ride. Any tips on how to prevent that from happening? I'm sure there are coatings and such out there, but would they stick to the exhaust and maintain adhesion when exposed to couple of 100 degrees of well catalyzed exhaust gasses, day in, day out?

On a side note, I need a proper Jack recommendation. The old piece of crap jack I used was anemic and as a man, I felt inferior not using a big proper manly Jack.

Jack stand recommendations are also welcome, as well as proper BMW approved slots.
Appreciate 2
mathys202.50
s58544.00
      04-19-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

I drove my car in winter and there's zero rust on the exhaust, granted I did weekly car washes and it sprays the underside.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 05:30 AM   #3
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
On a side note, I need a proper Jack recommendation. The old piece of crap jack I used was anemic and as a man, I felt inferior not using a big proper manly Jack.

Jack stand recommendations are also welcome, as well as proper BMW approved slots.
QUICK JACK is the way to go. I push them under the middle of the car and just park the car over them. Or you can hang them on the wall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
M4Tejas791.00
LuckyBrand1354.50
RJC-11290.50
mathys202.50
      04-20-2024, 07:38 AM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Moisture and salt. Not a good combo no matter what. You can maybe try spraying the exhaust with a very high temp clear paint, but it’s not ideal. Move somewhere where it’s not like that or don’t drive it in winter if you like Canada so much to stay where you’re at.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:30 AM   #5
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

These cars are designed and built in Germany where there’s pretty heavy winters-anyone know if they use salt there or sand?

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
These cars are designed and built in Germany where there’s pretty heavy winters-anyone know if they use salt there or sand?
They actually use brine salt… the same stuff they make sauerkraut with. 🥴
Appreciate 1
RJC-11290.50
      04-20-2024, 09:54 AM   #7
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
lol nonetheless one would hope the exhaust should be rust resistant at the very least especially if built/designed where there’s alpine winters

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 10:53 AM   #8
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, but high concentrations of salt will cause rust no matter what. Like ocean water or higher concentrations will absolutely eat any metal up. The worse cars to buy are from snow regions, especially ones where the snowy seasons are much harsher and longer than others. Brakes, suspension, even chassis end up being eaten alive unless the owner made it a habit of rinsing all that shit off pretty routinely.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:44 AM   #9
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Do they also put the sauerkraut on the road for better grip??
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:01 AM   #10
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, but high concentrations of salt will cause rust no matter what. Like ocean water or higher concentrations will absolutely eat any metal up. The worse cars to buy are from snow regions, especially ones where the snowy seasons are much harsher and longer than others. Brakes, suspension, even chassis end up being eaten alive unless the owner made it a habit of rinsing all that shit off pretty routinely.
Yep that's why I mentioned rust resistant vs rust proof. There are some that offer stainless steel exhausts however, don’t know if if those will rust as well in similar conditions?

Last edited by RJC-1; 04-21-2024 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 04:33 PM   #11
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
So I jacked my car (up) today and as a man should, replaced the winter tires/wheels with the summer set MYSELF

Toxic masculinity aside, I noticed my rear summer P Zeros were essentially slicks. The only possible conclusion would be that during winter storage, the outer layer shed itself due to poor quality Italian rubber, having nothing to do with me sliding the car around a race track last year at all.
I see that you are a DIY'er. You an easily fix the tire issue:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4sDY..._web_copy_link

Last edited by / / / M3; 04-21-2024 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0