Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 IE Stage 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejoEvo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganthompson View Post
Are those floating calipers in the rear? With 6-pot Carbon Ceramic in the front?
Yes. They change the rear caliper sue to the automatic brake.
Due to automatic brake? As in active cruise control and lane detection?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #90
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
FTFY... can’t wait till he gets his hands on it and onto a track.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #91
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Really don't understand BMW... "hey, we care about driving purists which is why we have a manual transmission"... meanwhile... "hey, we've added 500lbs of weight, removed the manual hand brake, made the car longer, taller, wider". Grilles aside, they've lost their way I think.

As with the launch video, this car is a chaotic, loud mess and doesn't know what it wants to be.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      09-24-2020, 01:28 AM   #92
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
Pretty sure there's a reason Chris Harris got himself a new M2Comp not long ago ... can't wait to hear his review, I'm sure it'll be underwhelming
This.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #93
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killakhan340i View Post
Friend of mine did this. Definitely looks better.

why why why why didn't they make that
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 01:37 AM   #94
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

In light of recent attempts to legislate ICE vehicles out of existence, I'm not even going to complain much anymore. Yes the front is a bad design, yes the car gained 350 lbs, and yes BMW's EPS will probably continue to be "meh;" but we should take a moment and appreciate the fact that a RWD manual sedan/coupe still exists and cherish it until it gets legislated into the grave.

I'm getting used to the design, I'd rather have a more traditional front end but it is pretty fkin mean.
Appreciate 2
av.7447180.00
heavyD^23684.00
      09-24-2020, 01:42 AM   #95
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Oh yeah, there's clearly been coordinated messaging if not implicit threats / rewards on reviews.

Never has marketing worked so hard to convince so few.
      09-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #96
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

if these are the rear wheel drive models the all wheel drive will be nearly 2 tons !
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 03:11 AM   #97
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
In light of recent attempts to legislate ICE vehicles out of existence, I'm not even going to complain much anymore. Yes the front is a bad design, yes the car gained 350 lbs, and yes BMW's EPS will probably continue to be "meh;" but we should take a moment and appreciate the fact that a RWD manual sedan/coupe still exists and cherish it until it gets legislated into the grave.

I'm getting used to the design, I'd rather have a more traditional front end but it is pretty fkin mean.
While I appreciate what you're saying I respectfully disagree. We shouldn't be giving a free pass to car manufactures for implementing a manual RWD car when the rest of the car is fundamentally poor. The other aspects you mentioned should still not get a pass. If Porsche can do it, so can BMW.

This is the result of poor design (and marketing) that hasn't been challenged internally. Refusing to challenge it externally because we all want the continued existence of manual/RWD cars only exasperates the problem further. BMW need to know they have screwed up and could have done a better job. It's our only hope to ensure they don't do it again.
Appreciate 1
HotRodM4672.00
      09-24-2020, 03:59 AM   #98
paddyrx8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 MSport, Estoril

Garage List
2013 320d M sport  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2006 E90 320D MSPORT  [0.00]
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Looks much worse in your render. These new M cars look great from all angles.
      09-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #99
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
While I appreciate what you're saying I respectfully disagree. We shouldn't be giving a free pass to car manufactures for implementing a manual RWD car when the rest of the car is fundamentally poor. The other aspects you mentioned should still not get a pass. If Porsche can do it, so can BMW.

This is the result of poor design (and marketing) that hasn't been challenged internally. Refusing to challenge it externally because we all want the continued existence of manual/RWD cars only exasperates the problem further. BMW need to know they have screwed up and could have done a better job. It's our only hope to ensure they don't do it again.
It’s interesting you are mentioning Porsche as they have the most boring and dull design and it hasn’t changed since the 70s... the reason is because most of their customers are older folks who would never accept change and since their customer service is too poor to attract new and younger generations hence their design is exactly the same, old and boring! At least BMW has the balls to do something different regardless of people’s crying, wining and moaning. What they did with the G80 is a masterpiece regardless of whether people like it or not and 99.9% of you would not be able to do anything even remotly close to what BMW has done! I also don’t understand why people that are upset by the grill or some line they don’t agree with on a body keep coming back to this form to state their opinion which we heard many times already... We heard you, we don’t care, move on, go buy a Porsche, Kia, Lada, Chery whatever design you are more happy with....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:30 AM   #100
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Showed this to my wife last night.

She said "no way in hell you are buying a new M3. You are buying a Porsche next."

Things are coming on up for this happy kitty lol

Funny, got the exact same comment from my wife

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:32 AM   #101
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganthompson View Post
Are those floating calipers in the rear? With 6-pot Carbon Ceramic in the front?
Yup, parking e-brake. Now need to schlepp a laptop if you want to do a quick track side brake job

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #102
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I dont get the dodge charger hood indentations...
Appreciate 1
Remonster821.00
      09-24-2020, 06:20 AM   #103
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Quote:

It’s interesting you are mentioning Porsche as they have the most boring and dull design and it hasn’t changed since the 70s... the reason is because most of their customers are older folks who would never accept change and since their customer service is too poor to attract new and younger generations hence their design is exactly the same, old and boring! At least BMW has the balls to do something different regardless of people’s crying, wining and moaning. What they did with the G80 is a masterpiece regardless of whether people like it or not and 99.9% of you would not be able to do anything even remotly close to what BMW has done! I also don’t understand why people that are upset by the grill or some line they don’t agree with on a body keep coming back to this form to state their opinion which we heard many times already... We heard you, we don’t care, move on, go buy a Porsche, Kia, Lada, Chery whatever design you are more happy with....
Come on man... it doesn't take 'balls' to make a wacky and controversial design. It does however take skill to create a car that is faster, lighter, handles better, while still looking good. Aka, Porsche. Change for change sake isn't always good. Yes, sticking with the same design forevermore amen is boring, I hear you, but doing something outrageous and 'different' isn't exactly difficult either.

Look at manufactures that come out with 'outrageous' designs but are somehow beautiful - Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren etc. They've all recently released cars that are drastically different than previous generations but are still beautiful. BMW have seemingly said "how big can we make the grille?" with no care for the eye.

Their launch video sums their thought process up perfectly - psychotic, lacking direction, senseless and loud.

Additionally, I would state that you cannot simply shut people down who have an opinion which isn't "OMG it's fantastic!" - no. I am a BMW fan. I've always loved the M lineup. I have a right, as do many others on this forum to voice our opinion and displeasure in hope BMW will actually listen and not ruin an icon.

Also note that I'm not simply stating the design is poor. You could put that down to person opinion. It's not just about being 'bold' as you put it. It's about engineering mastery and meaningful innovation. A perfect example - the car is noticeably heavier than previous gen. Why? When so many lightweight materials are available these days and manufactures are finding ingenious ways to improve in this area? There are many engineering changes that have been made to this car that simply beg to be questioned. Could I build a better car? Of course not. I'm not a designer or an engineer. Doesn't mean I'm incapable of comparatively assessing the market and seeing good/bad design.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #104
EthanEJC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Pleasantly surprised that it looks a lot better in these vids than it does in the photos. UK price of £75k for the M3 Comp RWD is a little pricier than I expected and makes me think the AWD version will be closer to £80K.

Am I the only one who thinks the M3 suits the new front better than the M4, on the 3 it looks properly badass.
Nope I've been thinking this since we've seen the prototypes going around the ring.

I have a theory that the big grills work on the bigger cars and that on the coupe's it doesn't work.

I don't include the 7 series in this since them grills are waaaay to big!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #105
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Warming up??? It's about as sheepish as warming up to the Covid restrictions

More like boiling a frog from Luke warm to dead without it realising it's cooking.

Wake up people this is fuckin shit. 😂😂😂😂🤡
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #106
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Come on man... it doesn't take 'balls' to make a wacky and controversial design. It does however take skill to create a car that is faster, lighter, handles better, while still looking good. Aka, Porsche. Change for change sake isn't always good. Yes, sticking with the same design forevermore amen is boring, I hear you, but doing something outrageous and 'different' isn't exactly difficult either.

Look at manufactures that come out with 'outrageous' designs but are somehow beautiful - Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren etc. They've all recently released cars that are drastically different than previous generations but are still beautiful. BMW have seemingly said "how big can we make the grille?" with no care for the eye.

Their launch video sums their thought process up perfectly - psychotic, lacking direction, senseless and loud.

Additionally, I would state that you cannot simply shut people down who have an opinion which isn't "OMG it's fantastic!" - no. I am a BMW fan. I've always loved the M lineup. I have a right, as do many others on this forum to voice our opinion and displeasure in hope BMW will actually listen and not ruin an icon.

Also note that I'm not simply stating the design is poor. You could put that down to person opinion. It's not just about being 'bold' as you put it. It's about engineering mastery and meaningful innovation. A perfect example - the car is noticeably heavier than previous gen. Why? When so many lightweight materials are available these days and manufactures are finding ingenious ways to improve in this area? There are many engineering changes that have been made to this car that simply beg to be questioned. Could I build a better car? Of course not. I'm not a designer or an engineer. Doesn't mean I'm incapable of comparatively assessing the market and seeing good/bad design.

And I will repeat again, this car is beautiful... you are just not ready for it yet... give it a year to sink in

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the new 911 gain some weight? Yea, I am also upset by the weight of the car, but it’s not really BMWs fault if you think about it. People always want bigger, better and more tech and features... so in the end it’s kind of our fault. I also believe that if you fully option out your new 911 it will also hit close to 4000 pounds... regardless 911 is in another league and does not directly compete with an M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #107
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Not Schmee! Anyone but Schmee!
You guys hate him too 😅?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #108
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

She said "no way in hell you are buying a new M3. You are buying a Porsche next."

My wife was the exact opposite. She likes the look a lot. However she said "no way in hell are you buying it as you said you would keep the X3M for at least 3-4 years".
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #109
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:

Can I give her my wife's contact info?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #110
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Newest review video from Carwow and ones from today. Initial day release videos posted earlier in thread.

The F8x, to me is the last real M car but it also had short comings which weren't that bad when you compare the competition when it came out.

According to the press release, BMW has corrected some of these:

1) 6 piston caliper up front for iron brakes
2) Adjustable front suspension

Notable issues that BMW hasn't corrected:

1) Car still sounds like shit, although better
2) 2-piston rear calipers
3) Still sits like an SUV, imagine how high AWD will be

Possible issues that BMW did or didn't correct:

1) Front brake cooling - I see the vents but if it's anything like the f8x it's probably blocked by coolers and radiators

New issues:

1) Obesity
2) Underpowered at its price range
3) Digital Dash is the ultimate depreciator, it's going to look old in 2 years when the next gen comes out. That's why cars that actually keep value never do it (Porsche) and why cars that never hold value do (Benz)

I'm being hard on this car but I think rightfully so, this isn't an M car. I can't think of one reason why the performance of the new M3/M4 would be worth it over the 340/440. You're definitely not getting an edge on a race track.
Appreciate 2
Imola3323.50
NathObeaN1304.50