BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-04-2024, 06:52 AM   #1
F90jay
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Was wondering what the loudest sounding front mount intake setup is for this platform
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 07:56 AM   #2
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

I just installed the project gamma front mounted intakes - very happy with them. However, almost zero sound from inside the cabin (which was expected) - unlike the MST intake I had in my previous m340i.

That said with the windows rolled down and doing a few pulls, you can def hear them and the sound is perfect (for me). I also have it paired with a MAD midpipe and dahler valve controller.

I need to take more pics but here are a couple ::
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F90jay28.00
      01-04-2024, 08:22 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I put a set of ARM shorty silicone intakes on the G80 and you definitely hear the whooshes and pews inside the cabin with windows up. It’s not a true front mount, but because it has good sound I posted.

…and I run the Goliath exhaust, and still hear the ARMs.

I do have a set of silicone RK front mounts but will use those for racing needs (coolest air). I haven’t tried those yet since the bumper has to come off.
Attached Images

01-04-2024, 10:09 AM   #4
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

BMS top mount sounds awesome. I still don't think the front mounts are worth all the extra work to install and remove.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
Skyscraper2205.00
      01-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #5
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
BMS top mount sounds awesome. I still don't think the front mounts are worth all the extra work to install and remove.
Not to mention the maintenance when you have to clean the filters.
FSociety3812.50
      01-04-2024, 10:27 AM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90jay View Post
Was wondering what the loudest sounding front mount intake setup is for this platform
Our front mount intakes are very loud and include larger filters than some of the competitors.

Some light acceleration (no brake boosting)

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 01-04-2024 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #7
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

If someone comes up with a grill without the top slats then the front mount intakes will be serviceable and easier to install
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #8
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
If someone comes up with a grill without the top slats then the front mount intakes will be serviceable and easier to install
A removable top slat design would be ideal. Jonathan@FERAL

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 01-04-2024 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 01:37 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We used different front mounts on the shop's car, MAD is the loudest.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:08 PM   #10
markoz28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 340i, BMW 2020 M340i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
A removable top slat design would be ideal. Jonathan@FERAL
That would be the most ideal situation!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:12 PM   #11
SIGM3
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Very interested in the ARM intakes, however I cannot find anything regarding the ARM short intakes and you're the only post I have seen with them haha. Do you have experience any heat soak with no heat shield? They look awesome and I bet the sound is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I put a set of ARM shorty silicone intakes on the G80 and you definitely hear the whooshes and pews inside the cabin with windows up. It’s not a true front mount, but because it has good sound I posted.

…and I run the Goliath exhaust, and still hear the ARMs.

I do have a set of silicone RK front mounts but will use those for racing needs (coolest air). I haven’t tried those yet since the bumper has to come off.

Last edited by SIGM3; 01-05-2024 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:20 PM   #12
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGM3 View Post
Very interested in the ARM intakes, however I cannot find anything regarding the ARM short intakes and you're the only post I have seen with them haha. Do you have experience any heat soak with no heat shield? They look awesome and I bet the sound is amazing.
That front filter is getting some clean air but the filter behind it is likely sucking in some serious hot air.

I would definitely look into a semi shielded into at the very least.

I agree they do look awesome though.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:24 PM   #13
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Maybe this is a stupid question but isn't heavy rain an issue for the front mount intakes? I'm sure I am overthinking this but at speeds it would seem that these would be getting wet.

Maybe it's just not enough water to matter?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:47 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question but isn't heavy rain an issue for the front mount intakes? I'm sure I am overthinking this but at speeds it would seem that these would be getting wet.

Maybe it's just not enough water to matter?
Not a stupid question at all.

No, many people run water and or water/meth injection to help with detonation and that's a hell of a lot more than a wet filter. I ran maybe 2-3 gallons through my motor a week.

Wet filters probably aren't the most efficient thing ever but I have done track days in the rain without issue or noticing any power loss.

Only issue you would have with water is fully submerging your filter completely as you could hydrolock the motor.

They do make dry socks for filters but I've never had to use one. https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-re...d-air-filters/
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 05:10 PM   #15
SIGM3
Rep

That is what it would seem like, however I would think the design and maker of the intake would have put that into consideration right? haha

I have been searching high and low someone's video haha ARM has a video however very low quality doesnt sound like anything which is doubtful!

Quote:
That front filter is getting some clean air but the filter behind it is likely sucking in some serious hot air.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:31 PM   #16
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Not a stupid question at all.

No, many people run water and or water/meth injection to help with detonation and that's a hell of a lot more than a wet filter. I ran maybe 2-3 gallons through my motor a week.

Wet filters probably aren't the most efficient thing ever but I have done track days in the rain without issue or noticing any power loss.

Only issue you would have with water is fully submerging your filter completely as you could hydrolock the motor.

They do make dry socks for filters but I've never had to use one. https://www.knfilters.com/blog/kn-re...d-air-filters/
Interesting. Learn something new every day. Thanks for the information.

When I was 18 I had a 1997 SVT Cobra. I installed a ram air intake which had a scoop near the bottom of the front bumper. Ended up shorting out my mass air sensor two months later due to heavy rain. So I still get nervous when water can get into my intake, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:54 PM   #17
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I’ll bring my IR heat gun and do some “spirited driving” after the car is well warmed up. Then I’ll pull over and quickly measure the temp on the top of each cone filter, and also as far down the tube as possible. That should give us some real world test data.

I’m thinking if the car is moving that the separate intake air temps at the cone filters should be very close. They both pull air from the same zone (yes, one is in front with access to cooler air when at a standstill), and both silicone tubes are short and likely to soak nearly the same amount of heat. Since one silicone also tube sits in front of the other (regardless of brand) I think the front turbo will always receive slightly cooler IAT than the rear.

For the low price, super-easy installation, and high quality double-cone filters, I’d say the ARM shorty silicone setup is a great deal. If I were doing track laps and really heating things up, or when I go for a drag record and need that extra 0.01sec shaved with the coolest possible IATs, then I’ll switch to my silicone front mount intakes.
      01-08-2024, 10:49 AM   #18
SIGM3
Rep

Very interested to see this!
Appreciate you!

Quote:
I’ll bring my IR heat gun and do some “spirited driving” after the car is well warmed up. Then I’ll pull over and quickly measure the temp on the top of each cone filter, and also as far down the tube as possible. That should give us some real world test data.

I’m thinking if the car is moving that the separate intake air temps at the cone filters should be very close. They both pull air from the same zone (yes, one is in front with access to cooler air when at a standstill), and both silicone tubes are short and likely to soak nearly the same amount of heat. Since one silicone also tube sits in front of the other (regardless of brand) I think the front turbo will always receive slightly cooler IAT than the rear.

For the low price, super-easy installation, and high quality double-cone filters, I’d say the ARM shorty silicone setup is a great deal. If I were doing track laps and really heating things up, or when I go for a drag record and need that extra 0.01sec shaved with the coolest possible IATs, then I’ll switch to my silicone front mount intakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #19
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:

That would be cool! I'd love to seem some temp data
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:21 PM   #20
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

SIGM3 Info@mad-us.com here’s the data collected:
Cold day, 38F ambient temp, car sat in driveway to warm up 10min. Then I cruised easy for 5mi in Efficient to my local Wawa, snapped the BM3 pic as I arrived, and jumped out with my temp gun.

First temps, parked after an easy warm-up:
45F Ambient
60F IAT
217F Coolant
55.1F front air cone, middle of top
55.2F rear air cone, middle of top
95.9F front air cone, low edge by turbos
74.8F rear air cone, side edge by turbos

Then I put the engine into Sport mode (not plus, in case that triggered fans to Max Cool) and did some highway stuff in S3 to stay around 5K RPM and with 7-15PSI boost on the dash indicator.

Second temps, after a little highway fun:
46F Ambient
60F IAT
215F Coolant
55.1F front air cone, middle of top
55.2F rear air cone, middle of top
95.9F front air cone, low edge by turbos
74.8F rear air cone, side edge by turbos

I’d say these don’t heat soak too bad.
Attached Images

01-10-2024, 03:59 PM   #21
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I’d say these don’t heat soak too bad.
The hp loss from heat soak is soooo minimal it makes no sense even talking about it. Plus the intake charge is compressed by the turbo to like 2-300f and then cooled by the charge cooler. You won't notice any difference here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 04:00 PM   #22
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Looks good, I just ordered the ARM intake yesterday so I'm glad they don't appear to heat soak much. I'd be curious to see the IAT delta VS stock intakes.
TopJimmy5472.50