BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-26-2023, 05:16 AM   #1
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

ACE 3.0 Upgrade from 2.0

Has anyone upgraded from Advnaced Camera Eye 2.0 to 3.0? A couple of questions:

- Do they use the same power connections (making installation much easier)
- Is it worth the upgrade?

ACE 2 is good, but you have to turn off CarPlay to access the camera and there are no remote viewing functions. Hoping 3.0 will have better functionality. Otherwise I may switch to BlackVue…
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 05:44 AM   #2
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Hi

Can’t say on the power connection as new car and new install. It is much more compact than the 2.0 and the night and day image quality has improved. You still need to disconnect carplay (turn off phone connection in ID) for the wifi to be picked up. Uses BT for initial sync.

App is a little easier to navigate but similar functionality - I feel it may have lost one or two features but couldn’t name them as had 3.0 for over 6 months.
Appreciate 1
khai Dow336.00
      07-01-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

Another necropost, but I figured it’s better than making a new thread.

Question for you all:

I was interested in getting this option added on at the port when the time comes for my G80. I like the idea of cameras for security purposes, but after watching the video BMW put out, I’m starting to think that this leaves something to be desired.

I’m always admired what Tesla has with the Sentry Mode, but I suspect the ACE 3.0 is a far cry from that, no?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this option?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 03:23 AM   #4
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

It is a far cry from that as it only has a front and back camera and is not internet enabled. It does however detect people/cars passing when parked and record.

BMW could have done so much with all the cameras onboard for security.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2023, 08:21 AM   #5
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
It is a far cry from that as it only has a front and back camera and is not internet enabled. It does however detect people/cars passing when parked and record.

BMW could have done so much with all the cameras onboard for security.
Appreciate this.

What does the ACE 3.0 do that the Driver Recorder can’t?

Long story short, I’m trying to figure out if I need ACE or not. I get the feeling it’s a little redundant to have both.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #6
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter2099 View Post
Appreciate this.

What does the ACE 3.0 do that the Driver Recorder can’t?

Long story short, I’m trying to figure out if I need ACE or not. I get the feeling it’s a little redundant to have both.
Drive recorder is meant to be trigger by an event eg crash but a few people here have said it tends to be a little insensitive. Also it’s limited to I think 20sec either side of the trigger. Drive recorder does also use all the cameras. The ACE 3.0 runs continuously whilst driving so you get both non trigering events and also could help a third party if a witness. It also works when the vehicle is off whereas I don’t think drive recorder does.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2023, 09:27 AM   #7
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drive recorder is meant to be trigger by an event eg crash but a few people here have said it tends to be a little insensitive. Also it’s limited to I think 20sec either side of the trigger. Drive recorder does also use all the cameras. The ACE 3.0 runs continuously whilst driving so you get both non trigering events and also could help a third party if a witness. It also works when the vehicle is off whereas I don’t think drive recorder does.

Hope that helps
This does help. Really appreciate this.

I think you might have sold me. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 01:11 PM   #8
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hope that helps
David, I meant to follow up: All in all, is the ACE system something you should not pass on?

I’ve never had a camera system before, and I’m reading more and more people saying you should have one.

Is this one of those “must-adds”?

Is the front camera and screen distracting (on the windshield)?

I was curious about pros and cons. The YT reviews are almost non-existent.
Appreciate 0