BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-18-2024, 11:02 AM   #45
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR_///M3 View Post
DSC and TC are not the same thing…
DSC controls yaw, yaw rate and wheel spin
TC only controls wheel spin
Not sure what you’re trying to say. I don’t think anyone said they were, but the controllers and hardware sensors used for both functions are in the car. For example, TC uses wheel speed sensor readout and that’s usually off the ABS module via CAN and originates from the toothed hub ring at each corner. Rotational speed is read from all wheels (this depends on platform a lot) or just compared front wheels to back and if there’s a difference the controller knows there’s slip. Most effective TC calibrations will use a 10% speed differential/allowable slip for the best acceleration while maintaining traction and the user won’t feel it… this is usually what full TC On is. These percentages are what you are modifying with the different degrees in this system, but it will also use the DSC yaw readout to govern how much to decide to cut back on the throttle plate vs the TC readouts for front wheel travel speed vs how much your smoking the rears. It will modulate the TB plate for you and basically do what your right foot would do if you had TC completely off and we’re doing power slides yourself and controlling the rate of rear wheel spin.

This is why when this system in fairly high in the scale it has, it cuts the fun out of the power slide if you’ve not countersteered properly to maintain the predefined yaw angle the car expected to see on whatever setting you’re on. Go over that and power is completely cut. As you go down in levels, this DSC intervention is dialed back even more with the expected result that the driver has the ability to counter steer more and also control the accelerator modulation faster and more precise since the lower you go, the less TB plate modulation is also done for you by the TC module.

Hope that all makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 03:56 PM   #46
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Not sure what you’re trying to say. I don’t think anyone said they were,
Sorry, meant to quote it, but In an earlier post reference was made to an adjustable DSC setting from 0 - 10.
I was trying to make the point that my understanding is that it is variable TC not DSC.
      03-18-2024, 05:59 PM   #47
MT6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 '19 CTR '14 Accord MT6

I researched the option than did not order it as I don’t track my cars nor do I want to learn drifting.

M3 can be quite tail happy with the either the DSC or TC off. I do redline the S58 often and enjoy winding roads.
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      03-19-2024, 06:36 AM   #48
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

For a RWD car it's a wash and comes down to whether or not you want the drift analyzer. For an xDrive car it's a must, IMO. The only way to go into RWD mode is to have the DSC fully off and then you can use MDP to add levels of traction for safety. The drift analyzer is just an added bonus/gimmick. A no-brainer, really.
Appreciate 0