BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #45
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

I had a shoulder surgery right after taking possession of my car. Driving this manual 11 months later is still difficult for me. The force required is much more than the F series. Not a fan of the throws, the clutch is fine, the car is amazing.

I have a GT3 on order, I can only imagine what that will be like lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #46
Blk5er33
Private
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I just picked up a '21 M4 6MT used with 10k miles. The shifts feel smooth and easy. The overall process of shifting feels easier than my '22 BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 06:00 PM   #47
wallaM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 AudiS5

M3 manual

My 2 cents-I came to the 6MT M3 from a 718 6MT and was really worried after having read a lot criticism that it was going to be horrible.What I found was quite different-I really like and I also believe
that it has become smoother and easier since I just passed break-in.
Some of that I'm sure is increasing familiarity with the gearbox but some I attribute to the mileage making a difference.
Appreciate 1
Llarry16185.00
      05-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #48
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman View Post
I've only ever owned Japanese manual transmission cars. My M3, which I took delivery of about 2 weeks ago, is the first German manual car I've owned, so I'm not sure if the issue I'm describing below is endemic of all BMW manuals or not.

What I've noticed these last couple weeks is just how different the clutch and gearbox feel in my M3 is versus other Japanese cars I've driven, including my most recent, a Toyota FRS/86. I will describe the clutch feel and shifter in turn.

Clutch: The clutch in my FRS travels a considerably shorter distance than the M3. Relatedly, the M3's clutch pedal is positioned substantially higher (i.e., closer to my body) than the FRS. This requires me to literally lift my leg and raise my foot up off the floorboard to make contact with and depress the clutch. By contrast, I don't have to lift my foot when working the FRS clutch. My heel stays put and I just rotate my foot about my ankle. This difference means that it takes a lot more time and physical effort (like stomping grapes to make wine) each time I change gears.

Gearbox: Switching gears in my FRS takes little physical effort. Transitions between gears are quick and smooth. The M3 requires a lot more force both when pulling the stick out from one gear and inserting it into another gear. In fact, after driving the car for just 4 days, I literally pulled a muscle in the right side of my back (I'm in the US so I use my right hand for the shifter)! (I really need to hit the gym, I know.) This again translates to longer shift times accompanied by routine grunting as I pull and push the damn thing into gear.

Just how different the two cars are in this respect really became apparent to me when I took my FRS out for a spin the other day after driving the M3 for a week and I almost drove the damn clutch through the floorboard I was depressing it so hard and snapped the shifter off. After a few minutes I adjusted to the FRS again and noticed how effortlessly and quickly I was zipping through gears without a second thought. I miss that. As much as I absolutely love my M3, I can't help but acknowledge that driving a Japanese manual is simply an easier, more relaxing experience.

If anyone has any advice on how I can make shifts less of a pain, I'm all ears. Fwiw, I did read other threads about clutch stops, but the issue for me is not just the clutch travel and determining the engagement point, but more so how high up the pedal is to begin with, which necessitates lifting my leg. I assume there's no easy fix to the gearbox, so in a few months my right arm will look like Sylvester Stallone's from Over the Top.
one word
torque
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #49
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
I've only ever owned Japanese manual transmission cars. My M3, which I took delivery of about 2 weeks ago, is the first German manual car I've owned, so I'm not sure if the issue I'm describing below is endemic of all BMW manuals or not.

What I've noticed these last couple weeks is just how different the clutch and gearbox feel in my M3 is versus other Japanese cars I've driven, including my most recent, a Toyota FRS/86. I will describe the clutch feel and shifter in turn.

Clutch: The clutch in my FRS travels a considerably shorter distance than the M3. Relatedly, the M3's clutch pedal is positioned substantially higher (i.e., closer to my body) than the FRS. This requires me to literally lift my leg and raise my foot up off the floorboard to make contact with and depress the clutch. By contrast, I don't have to lift my foot when working the FRS clutch. My heel stays put and I just rotate my foot about my ankle. This difference means that it takes a lot more time and physical effort (like stomping grapes to make wine) each time I change gears.

Gearbox: Switching gears in my FRS takes little physical effort. Transitions between gears are quick and smooth. The M3 requires a lot more force both when pulling the stick out from one gear and inserting it into another gear. In fact, after driving the car for just 4 days, I literally pulled a muscle in the right side of my back (I'm in the US so I use my right hand for the shifter)! (I really need to hit the gym, I know.) This again translates to longer shift times accompanied by routine grunting as I pull and push the damn thing into gear.

Just how different the two cars are in this respect really became apparent to me when I took my FRS out for a spin the other day after driving the M3 for a week and I almost drove the damn clutch through the floorboard I was depressing it so hard and snapped the shifter off. After a few minutes I adjusted to the FRS again and noticed how effortlessly and quickly I was zipping through gears without a second thought. I miss that. As much as I absolutely love my M3, I can't help but acknowledge that driving a Japanese manual is simply an easier, more relaxing experience.

If anyone has any advice on how I can make shifts less of a pain, I'm all ears. Fwiw, I did read other threads about clutch stops, but the issue for me is not just the clutch travel and determining the engagement point, but more so how high up the pedal is to begin with, which necessitates lifting my leg. I assume there's no easy fix to the gearbox, so in a few months my right arm will look like Sylvester Stallone's from Over the Top.
The closest I can come to corroborating any of this is for the first few thousand miles the 1-2 shift was tricky to do smoothly. Since then it's been no problem.

I honestly can't understand how someone could pull a muscle shifting gears in a manual G8x. I have to think this is some kind of user error issue. Clutch not fully depressed? Arm angle? I've owned nothing but manual BMW cars since 2008 and this really baffles me. That said, I've seen one other person make a similar comment about shifting effort.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1100.00
      05-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #50
kyoung05
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

After reading this, I have to think it's a break-in issue. The 6MT G80 M3 I rented must've had some miles on it, because the shifter was about as light and easy to shift as I'd have wanted it. Any less effort, and it would've felt like a videogame.

Granted, the clutch pedal travel was longer than I'd have liked, but after a few miles it became a non-issue.

I too have driven mostly Japanese manual cars, so I know where you're coming from. That said, how long have you been driving manual transmissions? As others have said, each car is different, and it takes some time for you to really familiarize yourself with a particular car's quirks/nuances. After years and years of experience, I think this process takes less and less time - and after decades of experience, I becomes almost instant (to an extent). FWIW, I sat it a 2022 WRX at the NY Auto Show, and felt the shifter in that car took way more effort than the M3 I drove - granted, it had a more positive engagement and was less rubbery, but it took more effort nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1100.00
      05-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #51
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Just drove a used 21 M4 manual today, lucky to have it available at my local dealership for a test drive.

Pros

1. Overall car felt amazing and very fast, revs very fast too
2. Clutch is butter smooth and light , infact too light
3. Transmission is butter smooth and easy , lot improved from prior generations , had 4 manual BMWs before including 2 F80's
4. Car didnt feel the weight and felt light and nimble
5. Suspension is also vastly improved and very smooth

Cons

1. Needs a proper mid pipe and exhaust
2. Exhaust feels muted even with sports exhaust button
3. With shift assistance on although the car was rev matching, i didnt quite hear the throttle blip, even if it was doing it was very light
4. Need a proper weighted shift knob which sits low in height
5. Car should have been more raw like the F80/82's

Overall very impressed and a great driving machine. i am surprised what people are complaining about the manual transmission, its great and very engaging. Much enjoyable than the Competition Xdrive i drove
      05-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #52
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
The closest I can come to corroborating any of this is for the first few thousand miles the 1-2 shift was tricky to do smoothly. Since then it's been no problem.

I honestly can't understand how someone could pull a muscle shifting gears in a manual G8x. I have to think this is some kind of user error issue. Clutch not fully depressed? Arm angle? I've owned nothing but manual BMW cars since 2008 and this really baffles me. That said, I've seen one other person make a similar comment about shifting effort.
Agreed and makes no sense specially since i drove a manual M4 today and felt great ( my reviews above) . Coming from a vette and having owned many MT cars including BMW's this one felt best in its class and very easy to drive.
      04-22-2023, 07:39 AM   #53
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
CDV delete could help the clutch bite more predictably but won't make a difference for how the shifter feels. I really enjoyed the AutoSolutions SSK in the past, that coupled with a heavy knob made the biggest difference. My M Roadster with that setup feels like a bolt action rifle. Stiffer engine mounts helped getting into 2nd gear, if that's still an issue these days.
Please elaborate further on the engine mounts. That’s the worst aspect of this car to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 07:46 AM   #54
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

My friend came yesterday to show me is 2023 Civic Type R and I also got my 2023 M3 yesterday too, we jumped from a car to the other and compared the shifters.

Yeah they are very different and the Civic feels more mechanical like my 718 did but with even shorter throws. My friend actually liked the BMW shifter and we concluded that one could easily tend to like the CTR shifter more easily but it wasn't like you couldn't get accustomed to the M3's we didn't think it was actually bad like ppl tend to pretend.

If your the kind to drag race all the time and bang the gears hard it isn't the BMW philosophy and you feel it instantly.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #55
BMW1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

For reference my last manual vehicle was an 88 Accord I drove until 1997.

I ordered/purchased my 2023 G80 6MT without any test drive.

Now at almost 6000 miles I have the following impressions.

1)Seat position will affect clutch pedal action. Sit closer to the steering wheel.

2)Shifter action will become smoother over time with break-in.

3)1-2 shift is still interesting. Seems easier if shift before 3000rpm.

4)I have no regrets getting this vehicle as a manual even with some of the quirks. Drove the G80C @ PDC and to me, my opinion clearly, the 6spd MT offers and allows a very different and engaging driving experience. I still get a smile and feel excitement as I get in my car with every drive and it never fails to deliver a great experience.

Give the 6spd some time to break in and for you two to get to know each other. I think you will feel differently after 5 or 6 K miles.
2016 328i
Appreciate 3
PLF693767.50
Nate.G82521.00
Jim B1896.00
      04-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #56
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

Great points. Some people didn't even have ability to test drive before they could buy a M car these days.

My JDM cars shifted so easily and quickly. Of all the JDM manuals, Mazda had the best ones to me (Miata, RX8). The german cars shifters a bit more floaty and vague, but forgiving. Hence all the aftermarket kits that make it better (and make the throws shorter). The 996 turbo had a "clutch assist" and that was a strange feeling!

You'll get used to it!
Appreciate 1
PLF693767.50
      04-22-2023, 11:40 AM   #57
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavyyyy View Post
Please elaborate further on the engine mounts. That’s the worst aspect of this car to me.
I don’t know if the G8x cars have the same issue or not, but what happened in past models was the engine & trans could move around too much under load or forces from braking, cornering etc. Until things settled down, it would be difficult to move the shifter into 2nd gear. Popular solutions were to install stiffer engine and trans mounts, use a heavier knob, or slow down just a beat when trying to shift into 2nd.

There’s a really tight left-hander getting onto the front straight at Laguna Seca. Had a few scary moments trying to heel-toe into 2nd and getting denied bmw things
      04-22-2023, 11:42 AM   #58
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
1->2 shift sucks. Doing a cdv delete and hoping it’ll help.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 04:49 PM   #59
CSH1959
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition

Quote:

Gearbox: Switching gears in my FRS takes little physical effort. Transitions between gears are quick and smooth. The M3 requires a lot more force both when pulling the stick out from one gear and inserting it into another gear. In fact, after driving the car for just 4 days, I literally pulled a muscle in the right side of my back (I'm in the US so I use my right hand for the shifter)! (I really need to hit the gym, I know.) This again translates to longer shift times accompanied by routine grunting as I pull and push the [...]
Buy an automatic ... they're just too advanced these days.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:52 PM   #60
CSH1959
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
What?? did you not drive the car before buying , even doing a round before taking delivery?

I have owned japanese and american manual cars and BMW M manuals yet to d drive the G series cars didnt find this as bad as you are depicting. It different as all manufacturers has different style of manual cars
Not sure where you live but good luck test driving one of these in the Midwest. You're lucky if you actually get to see one in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:17 PM   #61
flsupraguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

If the car didn't come in auto I wouldn't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:17 AM   #62
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSH1959 View Post
Not sure where you live but good luck test driving one of these in the Midwest. You're lucky if you actually get to see one in person.
I was very lucky, and got to test drive a 2021 base M3 with 20k miles in the Chicago suburbs, and immediately placed my order upon doing so. Surprisingly, they had it in inventory for nearly a month.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:10 AM   #63
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsupraguy View Post
If the car didn't come in auto I wouldn't buy it.

A lot of us were worried they would do an automatic M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:24 AM   #64
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
A lot of us were worried they would do an automatic M3.
Its the nicest auto Ive ever had. In regards to how it drives and matches what I want it to do. But I'd take DCT back in a heart beat. I miss the raw feeling of DCT. I also miss how it engaged from a stop.

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 04-23-2023 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3402.00
PLF693767.50
      04-23-2023, 11:30 AM   #65
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Its the nicest auto Ive ever had. In regards to how it drives and matches what I want it to do. But I'd take DCT back in a heat beat. I miss the raw feeling of DCT. I also miss how it engaged from a stop.
I’ve never driven the Auto. I’d like to try it.

I’ve only had 6MT; F80 now G80.

I’d be curious how calm and relaxed the drive is with the automatic.

When I have passengers in my G80 you’d swear I have a CVT lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 11:35 AM   #66
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
I’ve never driven the Auto. I’d like to try it.

I’ve only had 6MT; F80 now G80.

I’d be curious how calm and relaxed the drive is with the automatic.

When I have passengers in my G80 you’d swear I have a CVT lol.
Its like most any other auto from a dig. The shifter had 3 settings for how hard or soft you want it to shift. The softest setting will shift soft and smooth like a Cadillac. The middle setting feels like most other autos. And the third setting seems to thump every shift to a point of it almost being too much. In fact, it kind of is. I mostly use the middle mode and when the wife and kids are in the car, I go down to the softest.

Those three settings also seem to affect when it shifts as well. So whiles its soft, medium hard for shifting feel. It also affects how soon you end up in 8th too.

You should try one. I still wish it was DCT though. lol.