02-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #10253
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Apple HomePod Mini in space gray. Another part of my HomeKit setup. This will act as a Thread router and a speaker phone for my home office. Next up, garage door opener adapter for the HomeKit. Any recommendations?
https://www.amazon.com/meross-Compat...f_=as_li_ss_tl

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #10254
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Apple HomePod Mini in space gray. Another part of my HomeKit setup. This will act as a Thread router and a speaker phone for my home office. Next up, garage door opener adapter for the HomeKit. Any recommendations?
I confess (yeah, wrong thread) that I'm afraid to use too many "smart" devices like this. Don't need Siri or Google Assistant (depending on your preference) getting too deep into my stuff. I figured I've been around long enough to push buttons myself.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
M_Six16968.00
      02-15-2022, 03:20 PM   #10255
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I confess (yeah, wrong thread) that I'm afraid to use too many "smart" devices like this. Don't need Siri or Google Assistant (depending on your preference) getting too deep into my stuff. I figured I've been around long enough to push buttons myself.
The only reason I finally went for this is that Apple has allowed you to turn off both the voice-activated Siri and the button-activated Siri on this device. Most HomeKit devices do not upload to a server or go through Apple for anything unless you want stuff stored in iCloud.

I'm no fan of microphoned devices in the house, but with any smartphone, there is always a microphone around. The last TV I bought is a smart TV, but I have both wifi and ethernet disabled on it, so there's no "calling home."

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      02-15-2022, 03:21 PM   #10256
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
True, but I like pulling up to the house at night, pressing a button on the steering wheel, saying my secret phrase and having the garage open, all outside lights light up and a path from the garage to the living area all lit up, kitchen/ living room etc

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
M_Six16968.00
      02-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #10257
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'm no fan of microphoned devices in the house, but with any smartphone, there is always a microphone around. The last TV I bought is a smart TV, but I have both wifi and ethernet disabled on it, so there's no "calling home."
So you trust your coax cable?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #10258
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
True, but I like pulling up to the house at night, pressing a button on the steering wheel, saying my secret phrase and having the garage open, all outside lights light up and a path from the garage to the living area all lit up, kitchen/ living room etc
What are you using to open the garage door? Is it HomeKit compatible?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #10259
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you trust your coax cable?
The only thing hooked to it is an Apple TV 4th Gen, which does not have a mic. The 5th Gen version I bought has a mic in the remote for Siri, but a piece of tape can fix that.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #10260
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Kilabyte is from the FUTURE.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      02-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #10261
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Appreciate 2
Esteban43818.50
      02-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #10262
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
This is the one I'm using, essentially the same as I linked above but you specified Homekit compatible which that one has on top of the features that mine has

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Mine works through my phone's Google Assistant. I have some routines set up so I can long press the phone button on the wheel, say a phrase and run a routine, the house lighting up/ garage opening being one of them.

I also use IFTTT to link different devices/ services together, for example if I open the garage using the button on the visor it will also turn on the garage lights, once I get out of the car and walk inside of the house closing the door behind me also turns off the lights.

Just stupid things like that.

You should have seen me two weeks ago when a snowstorm knocked out my internet connection for a few hours, oh the pain of having to use switches and forgetting to turn off certain lights in different parts of the house

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 02-15-2022 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
M_Six16968.00
      02-15-2022, 04:59 PM   #10263
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Oh no you din't
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 05:32 PM   #10264
o_g
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 M3, '22 Ioniq5

Got an Ioniq 5 RWD for the wifey (replacement for the Highlander). Pick it up tomorrow.

Funky / chunky hatch and I like the drive. Will post pic's when I have it at the house.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 05:53 PM   #10265
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Hopefully this one won't kick the bucket (too soon). lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #10266
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Webb View Post
One of my staff saw this in the Lego store and said it was huge and awesome and I should get it. So I did. I'm more of a Honda guy when it comes to two wheels, but this looks like a cool project. Roku remote for scale.
Nice! I'm working on the Ducati right now. Just finished the 911 RSR and Seinfeld set is on order but that BMW bike is quite tempting.

I have most of the Technic motorcycles including the R 1200 GS and while that latest Beemer is completely awesome it slightly bugs me that it is not the same scale as the others.

They do the same scale inconsistency with the top level cars.

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #10267
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Push a button? Say a secret phrase? How 1990's!

When I pull up (or walk up) to my house, HomeKit detects my iPhone coming home and automagically unlocks the front door, turns on the front and garage flood lights, disarms the alarm system, and makes a voice announcement in the house telling my DW's OCD psycho dog to get off of my chair. Ditto for when my DW comes home, except it omits the voice announcement for the dog.

When OCD psycho dog lets himself out after dark, the dog door opening triggers the back yard and garage flood lights to turn on for five minutes so that he can see.

As of Sunday, the sump pump running also triggers a voice alert whenever it starts or stops...and sounds a siren (and sends a critical alert message to my work 24/7 emergency alert pager) if it runs for more than four minutes straight because it is probably jammed/blocked/frozen.

If you think that bicycles are an expensive hobby, home automation is not the hobby for you.....
cmyx6go15762.50
      02-15-2022, 07:32 PM   #10268
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post

When I pull up (or walk up) to my house, HomeKit detects my iPhone coming home and automagically unlocks the front door, turns on the front and garage flood lights, disarms the alarm system, and makes a voice announcement in the house telling my DW's OCD psycho dog to get off of my chair. Ditto for when my DW comes home, except it omits the voice announcement for the dog.

When OCD psycho dog lets himself out after dark, the dog door opening triggers the back yard and garage flood lights to turn on for five minutes so that he can see.

As of Sunday, the sump pump running also triggers a voice alert whenever it starts or stops...and sounds a siren (and sends a critical alert message to my work 24/7 emergency alert pager) if it runs for more than four minutes straight because it is probably jammed/blocked/frozen.

If you think that bicycles are an expensive hobby, home automation is not the hobby for you.....
Stop showing off Mr. Internet inventor!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615339.00
cmyx6go15762.50
      02-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #10269
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh crap. I already collect bicycles and now home automation is coming around again. I started getting into it a few years ago, but it was clunky and took some programming skills I didn't want to deal with. Now with HomeKit, it's pretty easy.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615339.00
      02-15-2022, 07:44 PM   #10270
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:

Haha mr showoff.

I turned off geofencing because once I leave my street I drive on another that runs directly below and have had it trigger my system when leaving.

When I open the door leading to the back yard after sunset it turns on my backyard lights and the gazebo, there!

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615339.00
      02-15-2022, 07:48 PM   #10271
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:

If you think home automation is expensive then you need to meet my wifes fully cared for horses lol.

I've been trying to get my home mostly automated, can already feel my brain melting from all the EMF fields. (I have a gauge for that) I've started even making my own devices. I took a door sensor and made it into a water sensor instead which I also printed the holder. Now if it senses a leak under the sink or basement it sends an alert to my phone. (I know I could already buy that but why not make it more difficult)

32 landscape lights are also fully automated, with rules as well, and have full color control. Cameras (outdoor only) also have triggers. If my garage door opens after 12am, hears smoke detectors, or senses a person the lights turn on, sends alert and activate sirens.

Haven't done the locks yet but planning on it, same with audio. Oh and even my salt water fish tanks are automated...feeding, lights and pumps. I have a tropical plant and citrus sun room, automated lights and fans for those as well. Crap is addicting.

Is there a thread about automation yet? Would love to see one so we could all share ideas!
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3948.00
vreihen1615339.00
      02-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #10272
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

We might have the same issue with geofencing. The backroad to campus runs right behind our house, although it's 80-100 feet lower in elevation.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #10273
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
If you think home automation is expensive then you need to meet my wifes fully cared for horses lol.

I've been trying to get my home mostly automated, can already feel my brain melting from all the EMF fields. (I have a gauge for that) I've started even making my own devices. I took a door sensor and made it into a water sensor instead which I also printed the holder. Now if it senses a leak under the sink or basement it sends an alert to my phone. (I know I could already buy that but why not make it more difficult)

32 landscape lights are also fully automated, with rules as well, and have full color control. Cameras (outdoor only) also have triggers. If my garage door opens after 12am, hears smoke detectors, or senses a person the lights turn on, sends alert and activate sirens.

Haven't done the locks yet but planning on it, same with audio. Oh and even my salt water fish tanks are automated...feeding, lights and pumps. I have a tropical plant and citrus sun room, automated lights and fans for those as well. Crap is addicting.

Is there a thread about automation yet? Would love to see one so we could all share ideas!
This. We need to start one.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      02-15-2022, 08:12 PM   #10274
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Just ordered one of these... don't really play myself, it's for the boys when they are home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00