BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

03-21-2024, 03:23 PM   #1
Speedyf16
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Pace SVR, ‘96 Integra

Garage List
Autoport Strike in Halifax, NS - MY25 M4 Delivery

So my '25 M4 "In Transit" appeared to have arrived in Halifax on March 18th aboard the Morning Celesta (the date the tracking changed to "In Transit" was right around when this ship was heading out).

However, I just learned that there has been a worker's strike at the Halifax autoport since early this year! Negotiations just broke down again and the government is even trying to put a ban on the hiring of replacement workers. It appears this is affecting the port-to-rail operations and that it shouldn't have prevented my car from being off-loaded from the ship (I hope...).

Anybody know how close this strike is to being over??

Also, my dealer said to expect 6-8 weeks average from Halifax to Calgary...I've only ever waited 10-14 days for that...maybe 6-8 weeks is the new normal??
Attached Images

Last edited by Speedyf16; 03-21-2024 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:26 PM   #2
torontog82
Private
Rep
Drives: g82

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even know about a strike. I'm at the Bremerhaven port heading to Halifax whenever I get on a ship. Going to follow your situation and the strike more closely now. Let me know what happens with your car in the coming days, hopefully you get on a train.
Appreciate 1
naveed64.50
      03-21-2024, 06:04 PM   #3
naveed
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 25 M4 Comp Convertible XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontog82 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even know about a strike. I'm at the Bremerhaven port heading to Halifax whenever I get on a ship. Going to follow your situation and the strike more closely now. Let me know what happens with your car in the coming days, hopefully you get on a train.
Me too!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:26 PM   #4
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveed View Post
Me too!
What city are you in?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
Speedyf16
Rep

Garage List
Will do!

Latest update was from March 15th - need a subscription to read past the headline:
https://canada.autonews.com/labour/t...ort-standstill
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 06:51 PM   #6
torontog82
Private
Rep

I looked into it a bit further. For people at the port now or in the coming days, there should be no significant delays. CN Rail who runs the company that employees the striking workers has a contingency plan going at the moment- basically substitute workers doing the same work.

Like you said though, the province just passed a bill to make it illegal to employ these replacement workers (called scabs). The bill is on its second reading. For us who are expecting cars coming there in the next 2-4 weeks may be affected if the bill turns to law and no agreement is reached between the union and the company.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:44 PM   #7
naveed
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 25 M4 Comp Convertible XDrive

Quote:
What city are you in?
How do check? I assumed the specific location but all I know is my status changed to “At the port” today on BMWUSA.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 07:45 PM   #8
Speedyf16
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I looked into it a bit further. For people at the port now or in the coming days, there should be no significant delays. CN Rail who runs the company that employees the striking workers has a contingency plan going at the moment- basically substitute workers doing the same work.

Like you said though, the province just passed a bill to make it illegal to employ these replacement workers (called scabs). The bill is on its second reading. For us who are expecting cars coming there in the next 2-4 weeks may be affected if the bill turns to law and no agreement is reached between the union and the company.
Thanks for digging deeper! I check my VIN on the CN Rail's quick trace tracker a few times a day - no records found yet. But it has only been 4 business days so far to get through customs from offload.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:11 PM   #9
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyf16 View Post
So my '25 M4 "In Transit" appeared to have arrived in Halifax on March 18th aboard the Morning Celesta (the date the tracking changed to "In Transit" was right around when this ship was heading out).

However, I just learned that there has been a worker's strike at the Halifax autoport since early this year! Negotiations just broke down again and the government is even trying to put a ban on the hiring of replacement workers. It appears this is affecting the port-to-rail operations and that it shouldn't have prevented my car from being off-loaded from the ship (I hope...).

Anybody know how close this strike is to being over??

Also, my dealer said to expect 6-8 weeks average from Halifax to Calgary...I've only ever waited 10-14 days for that...maybe 6-8 weeks is the new normal??
My M3 was offloaded in Halifax on the 17th of February. Strike started on the 27th of February. My dealership received the vehicle in Winnipeg on the 12th of March! About one month from port to dealership with the strike ongoing - maybe one week of that was transit time via railcar.

CN Autoport have hired "scabs" to do the work while the union workers are striking so vehicles are moving. Hope your vehicle gets loaded by a scab before that bill is passed!
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 08:41 PM   #10
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Mine is stuck at Port as well...annoying.
      03-22-2024, 06:07 AM   #11
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveed View Post
Me too!

This won't affect you if you are a US delivery.
Appreciate 1
naveed64.50
      03-22-2024, 06:14 AM   #12
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
You're still good though, the bill won't pass while you are there. You'll get on a train
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:18 PM   #13
Speedyf16
Rep

Garage List
I gave BMW Genius a call just for the hell of it and they told me that only US-bound cars can be tracked with a status code and description. They said they cannot provide any status updates on Canadian vehicles and to 'continue working with your dealership' haha. They said they couldn't even provide the status that the BMW Canada website tracker provides based on VIN...oh well. Guess I'll just sell my current car whenever I get a good offer and Uber to the office if the M4 isn't here yet lol...no sense in trying to time it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:37 PM   #14
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyf16 View Post
I gave BMW Genius a call just for the hell of it and they told me that only US-bound cars can be tracked with a status code and description. They said they cannot provide any status updates on Canadian vehicles and to 'continue working with your dealership' haha. They said they couldn't even provide the status that the BMW Canada website tracker provides based on VIN...oh well. Guess I'll just sell my current car whenever I get a good offer and Uber to the office if the M4 isn't here yet lol...no sense in trying to time it up.
Yeah, no way to know at this point until you are on a train. But even then it's not easy tracking. Just have to assume your dealership will have an update for you soon and wait. I'm in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 09:47 AM   #15
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Any idea if your car has moved off port onto a train?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:02 AM   #16
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Any idea if your car has moved off port onto a train?
My dealer is being a bit wishy washy with where the car is. Originally they said it was in Halifax, then they said it hadn't shipped from Bremerhaven, then they messaged me yesterday saying it is in Halifax but that was all the info they had.

Question, does the track my bmw site update (for Canadians) beyond "In Transit"? Mine still shows that, and I've seen people in the US getting further updates like it's at port, etc.
      03-27-2024, 11:13 AM   #17
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealer is being a bit wishy washy with where the car is. Originally they said it was in Halifax, then they said it hadn't shipped from Bremerhaven, then they messaged me yesterday saying it is in Halifax but that was all the info they had.

Question, does the track my bmw site update (for Canadians) beyond "In Transit"? Mine still shows that, and I've seen people in the US getting further updates like it's at port, etc.
Unfortunately the tracking for us in Canada leaves is in the dark once we get to the port in germany. Once we are at the port, the tracking will show "in transit", even though the car isn't on the ship. It will remain "in transit" until it gets to your dealership. It's pretty useless for us after arriving at the port there.

But your dealer can see status codes that are not on the tracking site we have. For example, they should be able to tell you when the car arrives at the destination port (status code 196). Beyond that, they won't give you updates until it is at the dealer, or have received a notifcation from the truck carrier when it is anticipated to arrive at the dealer (from the Concord train yard).

Which dealer are you with out of curiousity?
Appreciate 2
Burrcold5321.00
eddj464.50
      03-27-2024, 11:33 AM   #18
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately the tracking for us in Canada leaves is in the dark once we get to the port in germany. Once we are at the port, the tracking will show "in transit", even though the car isn't on the ship. It will remain "in transit" until it gets to your dealership. It's pretty useless for us after arriving at the port there.

But your dealer can see status codes that are not on the tracking site we have. For example, they should be able to tell you when the car arrives at the destination port (status code 196). Beyond that, they won't give you updates until it is at the dealer, or have received a notifcation from the truck carrier when it is anticipated to arrive at the dealer (from the Concord train yard).

Which dealer are you with out of curiousity?
Thanks for all of this. I seem to remember getting much more information when I bought my G20 M340i (they knew when it was arriving at port, departure, approximate date to arrive at the dealer - within a few days window anyway). That was through BMW Grand River. However, I ordered the G80 through BMW Kingston. They've been great, they just don't seem to be as knowledgeable on the tracking side of things (they didn't even know about the my bmw tracking site...when I sent them a screen shot they were like whoa how did you do that? lol).

If it is in Halifax and not being held up for any reason, what's a typical delivery schedule/timing to a dealership in Ontario?
      03-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #19
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all of this. I seem to remember getting much more information when I bought my G20 M340i (they knew when it was arriving at port, departure, approximate date to arrive at the dealer - within a few days window anyway). That was through BMW Grand River. However, I ordered the G80 through BMW Kingston. They've been great, they just don't seem to be as knowledgeable on the tracking side of things (they didn't even know about the my bmw tracking site...when I sent them a screen shot they were like whoa how did you do that? lol).

If it is in Halifax and not being held up for any reason, what's a typical delivery schedule/timing to a dealership in Ontario?

Yeah there's a lot of inconsistency with info provided by dealers.

I think a fair estimate is 2 weeks or so from Halifax to and Ontario dealer. Maybe tack on some additional time because of a potential labour shortage now at the Halifax port.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 01:16 PM   #20
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there's a lot of inconsistency with info provided by dealers.

I think a fair estimate is 2 weeks or so from Halifax to and Ontario dealer. Maybe tack on some additional time because of a potential labour shortage now at the Halifax port.
I got word back from my dealer that my car is NOT on a train yet. However, they said that for "sold" vehicles, BMW is trying to expedite those by way of truck. Hopefully that's the case.
      03-27-2024, 02:04 PM   #21
torontog82
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got word back from my dealer that my car is NOT on a train yet. However, they said that for "sold" vehicles, BMW is trying to expedite those by way of truck. Hopefully that's the case.
Haven't seen a car being trucked to Ontario from Halifax, sold or not. But not saying it's not possible.

For your sake, hopefully you get the car quickly
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5321.00
      03-27-2024, 03:31 PM   #22
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haven't seen a car being trucked to Ontario from Halifax, sold or not. But not saying it's not possible.

For your sake, hopefully you get the car quickly
My sales person shared an email from BMW Canada stating that they would start to utilize trucks to transport sold vehicles first, but they also stressed that all OEM's are facing the same problem so availability of truck transport will be limited.

So whatever that's worth, hopefully I do get it soon. It's not that I'm in such a hurry, I more so want to know a solid date so I can book my car in for PPF and ceramic coating (the place I go to has a waiting list lol).

Last edited by Burrcold; 03-27-2024 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0