home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-24-2021, 09:29 PM   #89
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think "ooh but it's controversial" is a bit of a cop-out used by buyers with confirmation bias. I don't think there has ever been an M3/4 design so universally hated. I know some don't want to admit it, but it's bad. Objectively bad from a design standpoint, subjectively bad from vast agreement from fans and onlookers. Nobody has ever said these look good. Dealership feedback where I live has been fairly negative.

I would say the car looks substantially worse in bright colours. Black actually isn't bad and works with the grille. Otherwise yes this car is way too big. It really could be a 6 now that we have the 8. As for the mechanical elements yeah it seems stellar and the ride has been universally praised which is a nice move away from WTF level stiff ride from previous M cars. The engine is amazing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
It's not misinformation. That car isn't available yet.

Remember the Giulia QV that was supposed to have a manual?

I will count the blackwing when it's commercially available, and until then my statement is 100% accurate.
Ugh.. YES. Don't remind me. What a heartbreaker. I would be driving one now if that were the case. Agree completely though. As I recall, Alfa was slated to release it... then it went into crash testing and the clutch pedal severed the dummy's leg. Rather than rework it, they just binned that option.
GhostyM538.50
      03-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #90
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
A few current owners have said it's softer than the F8X.
Yup this exactly, it is for sure softer than F8X but F8X is on the relative extreme end of stiff street cars so a marginal improvement to that may not result in the ride that a lot of reviewers are gushing about. I agree with you though that there does have to be some expectation by the buyer that this is a very sporty car and will have a ride to match, anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a rude awakening
Jcali861479.00
      03-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #91
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

BMW's new design strategy: Make every coupe look like a Ford Mustang.
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      03-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #92
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

I'm here for the sound of the S58!!! Less talk, more throttle.
      03-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #93
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I was convinced I wouldn't watch this review because I knew he would harp on the design for a long time. Thank God for Zack for giving positive and objective feedback

I am a longtime TST fan but sometimes I take Matt's opinion for what it's worth. Once he makes up his mind about something almost impossible to change his mind. He was extremely critical of the 2C but it turned out to be a fantastic car. I also get annoyed how often he cuts off guests/co-drivers both on his podcast and video reviews.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #94
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
BMW's new design strategy: Make every coupe look like a Ford Mustang.
Mustang is a great looking car. Could have been much, much worse. Imagine they would imitate Dodge Challenger.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:50 PM   #95
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Great car, just ugly. Really isn't much more to it.
Appreciate 3
      03-24-2021, 09:50 PM   #96
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Exactly. The answer to his "why" is that the looks are controversial.
controversial to a bmw enthusiast who is well versed in brand identity and expected a refreshed F80 look imo. Polls here are not at all representative of what the general public will think. I think a large majority of people will see this car on the street and be absolutely blown away. But someone like a 911 owner will scoff at this more aggressive take when compared to their 'elegant, timeless German design' lol
The people I've come across asking me if I'm going to replace my CS with the G80 all agreed with me that it's an ugly car. I have a feeling had I said I liked the G80 they would find something positive to say about it rather than criticize it's looks. We are all pretty polite to each other's faces.

I know if I met a new G80 owner in person, I'm not going to call the car ugly despite my true opinion. That's just rude. I'll compliment the interior and how fast it is etc.

I think new owners have to come to the realization that the grill is polarizing, and there are people out there who think it's ugly. It shouldn't bother them, but at the same time, that's what people think. Embrace it. I have with my i3... people think it's ugly and that's fine. I'm not going to tell people they are wrong though, that would be delusional.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 8
stein_325i25083.00
MDuckie94.50
M-Pilot4859.00
GhostyM538.50
AndrewC198910931.00
Sjokosaus199.50
RowanBuds1707.00
      03-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #97
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

^ It is certainly an unconventional design. I also find the M4 to be the worse offender. It is the first time BMW designs any grill in a car (non-SUV) vertically.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #98
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
On the topics of transmission - the fact that this is the ONLY sports sedan in its class with a manual doesn't even get mentioned. If you want your car with a stick, it's literally the only thing in its class.
Yeah, and this was the case for the F8X as well. Which pretty much sold me on the F80 while waiting for the M2C.

If I didn't have an E39 M5, I would be strongly considering the G80...grill and all.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #99
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcali86 View Post
there's another thread running already. Obviously we love the car, i think it's the best looking m3 since the e46, but i also don't wear baggy jeans over new balance sneakers, so i guess we all have different ideas on what looks good.
🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #100
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Why is it that my friend who owns one has been mobbed every time he goes out with the car by people who love it? He gets thumbs up, he gets horn honks and then thumbs up, he gets compliments at gas stations, etc. and these are New Yorkers who don't say anything nice to anyone.

Confirmation bias. That's why.
This is a confusing take. I've only seen people talk about it's look ALL over the internet. Confirmation bias is a bitch for sure, but I'd argue WAY more think it's ugly than beautiful. I haven't met a person who said it's good looking and I'm DEEP into the BMW forums/facebook groups/eco system (friends have a lot of ///M's). Only people from this forum think it looks good to me (which is fair).

For example: Remember the F-Type that Jaguar made (before the facelift)? Widely acclaimed for being beautiful, and while some will easily disagree with that point, the overwhelming majority would agree that the F-Type when it first came out was a gorgeous car. We're in the same boat with this car, except it's a negative in this case.

Quote:
The thing that kills me about these reviews is the complete lack of perspective. It's like they're comparing it to some mythical sports sedan that doesn't exist, instead of basing their comparisons on your other options in the segment.

The car is "super heavy"...unless you compare it to its main competitors, where it's actually one of the lightest.

The F8x M was lighter.

The car is "way too big"...unless you compare it to its main competitors, where it's right in line with them.

The F8x M felt smaller.

The car has the "wrong transmission"...unless you compare it to its main sporty competitor, the Giuliano QV, which uses the exact same transmission.

The F8x M had a DCT

On the topics of transmission - the fact that this is the ONLY sports sedan in its class with a manual doesn't even get mentioned. If you want your car with a stick, it's literally the only thing in its class.

Also, and it's unrelated, but he gets a bunch of facts wrong. He says that the car they are driving is a "stripper model", proving the car is way too expensive, but it has literally every option. He also thinks that the ventilated seats are $1k for some reason.

I think the car has issues, I'm not some crazed fanboy, but that review had some real lack of context and perspective in it.
See my underlined points? If you think comparing the G8x to an Alfa or any other competitor is fair, let me tell you.. it's not.

An Alfa is a horribly unreliable car. The Audi RS's are slower. The AMG's are too heavy. The F8x minimized all those issues. It was fast. It was lighter. It was more reliable. The G8x now has the Alfa transmission, weight of a AMG (AWD model), and while it's not slow in any sense of the word, it's now terribly ugly.

Rather than improve on it's special dynamics (DCT, lightweight, etc). It ignores all of that to make it an ugly-but-mini-M5.
Not sure how you can read all the points I made and miss the message: the F8x isn't for sale anymore. You cannot buy it new. The Alfa, the RS5, and the C63 are the cars the G8x competes against. Unless your point is that the whole segment is worthless, in which case why even bother coming in here?

Facts are facts: the G8x is faster than the C63 from a dig, and faster than both the C63 and the RS5 from a roll. If the Giulia isn't broken then it may put up a fight, but I seriously doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:50 PM   #101
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Not a very favorable review for the G82 but they're looking at it through an E92 and F82 lens. This is not those cars! People need to let go that the M3 is dead, long live the new M3. Wait for G87 M2 if a smaller car is desired. They also butcher the price specs at the end. Not sure if those option prices were given to them by BMW or what but multiple misquoted prices and options and that is a fully overloaded $100k car with all the junk included.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #102
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Not a very favorable review for the G84 but they're looking at it through an E92 and F82 lens. This is not those cars! People need to let go that the M3 is dead, long live the new M3. Wait for G87 M2 if a smaller car is desired. They also butcher the price specs at the end. Not sure if those option prices were given to them by BMW or what but multiple misquoted prices and options and that is a fully overloaded $100k car with all the junk included.
No, that's just typical Matt Farrah messing up the car's basic specs, then comparing it to how he remembers a car from a decade ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #103
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Have you driven the car? I only ask because I've driven multiple and I gotta tell you, it blows the F out of the water as far as dynamics go. Same as the F was a better performance car than the E9X.

If you have driven it then you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure how you think it's worse.
I have driven it. It feels like smaller M5 rather than a faster M3/M4. It has better driving characteristics than the F8x but its lack of DCT and extra weight is quite noticeable. It's really just that simple. It may be faster and has tighter turn in, but the lack of special parts really takes away from it. And this is all ignoring the extremely obvious looks of the thing.

This forums reactions to it's looks said it all to me. Also, the weight, size, lack of DCT is another negative point.
Why does weight matter if driving dynamics are more important? Surely the downside of weight is bad dynamics?

How in the hell are you going to say the car is dynamically better than an F80 and in the same breath say that it's like a mini M5? By that logic the F80 handles the same as an M5.

The logical breakdown in what you're saying is stunning to me.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #104
pg80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
I'm here for the sound of the S58!!! Less talk, more throttle.
I only have like 69 miles on it but so far I have enjoyed it this is my first BMW and my first M car, iv been driving Mopars my whole life till now so nothing but HEMIs from the 5.7 to the 6.2 hellcat and even the demon for a minute and I have to say I'm enjoying it so far I haven't left comfort mode yet its definitely not a HEMI but I like it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #105
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

The side view looks like a mustang. And the new mustang is a good looking car.
      03-24-2021, 11:31 PM   #106
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Have you driven the car? I only ask because I've driven multiple and I gotta tell you, it blows the F out of the water as far as dynamics go. Same as the F was a better performance car than the E9X.

If you have driven it then you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not sure how you think it's worse.
I have driven it. It feels like smaller M5 rather than a faster M3/M4. It has better driving characteristics than the F8x but its lack of DCT and extra weight is quite noticeable. It's really just that simple. It may be faster and has tighter turn in, but the lack of special parts really takes away from it. And this is all ignoring the extremely obvious looks of the thing.

This forums reactions to it's looks said it all to me. Also, the weight, size, lack of DCT is another negative point.
Why does weight matter if driving dynamics are more important? Surely the downside of weight is bad dynamics?

How in the hell are you going to say the car is dynamically better than an F80 and in the same breath say that it's like a mini M5? By that logic the F80 handles the same as an M5.

The logical breakdown in what you're saying is stunning to me.
are you asking an enthusiast forum why weight in a sports car is bad?
      03-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #107
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
Exactly. The answer to his "why" is that the looks are controversial.
controversial to a bmw enthusiast who is well versed in brand identity and expected a refreshed F80 look imo. Polls here are not at all representative of what the general public will think. I think a large majority of people will see this car on the street and be absolutely blown away. But someone like a 911 owner will scoff at this more aggressive take when compared to their 'elegant, timeless German design' lol
The people I've come across asking me if I'm going to replace my CS with the G80 all agreed with me that it's an ugly car. I have a feeling had I said I liked the G80 they would find something positive to say about it rather than criticize it's looks. We are all pretty polite to each other's faces.

I know if I met a new G80 owner in person, I'm not going to call the car ugly despite my true opinion. That's just rude. I'll compliment the interior and how fast it is etc.

I think new owners have to come to the realization that the grill is polarizing, and there are people out there who think it's ugly. It shouldn't bother them, but at the same time, that's what people think. Embrace it. I have with my i3... people think it's ugly and that's fine. I'm not going to tell people they are wrong though, that would be delusional.
Are you keeping the CS?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #108
M3Power22
Ball Crusher
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 - Alpine White

Now this is purely my subjective opinion but the sedan looks better than the coupe with the exception of the E36 and E92. Better lines, more pronounced fenders, wider stance, more practicality, better proportions, same performance. I've seen both G's in person and the gap has widened for me. If I'm going that big, I might as well get an 8 series otherwise I want 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:45 PM   #109
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Not a very favorable review for the G84 but they're looking at it through an E92 and F82 lens. This is not those cars! People need to let go that the M3 is dead, long live the new M3. Wait for G87 M2 if a smaller car is desired. They also butcher the price specs at the end. Not sure if those option prices were given to them by BMW or what but multiple misquoted prices and options and that is a fully overloaded $100k car with all the junk included.
They don't necessarily like the new M3. That's the point.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #110
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
They don't necessarily like the new M3. That's the point.
That's because they want an E46 with all the modern cool shit and moar powah. This isn't that car. I mean good grief they complained about having more elbow room! Seriously?

They should be comparing it to RS5, C63, Giulia, and Model 3P...not prior M3s. This is basically a new model compared to the historic M3 badge and the M2 is the new M3. Grumpsters will grump about this and that compared to history but the context has shifted.
Appreciate 0