home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 / M4 Photos, Videos, Builds

03-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #67
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Help me out here with a bit more specifics. Why exactly would you go from an M5 to this? Understand of course if you were just ready for a new toy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #68
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
So I just got back from the dealer where they had a G82 in the showroom.

An older gentleman came in and test drove it because he said his M5 in comfort mode was more jarring than his Audi RS 4/5/6 whatever it was and wanted to see if the M4 was softer. Another potential M5 owner to M4 buyer as well. Interesting.
What's real interesting is that he thinks the M3 is softer than the M5. Yup and that's why I'll stay away from this M3/M4
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #69
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Traded in the Raptor and M3 is delivered!! Time to break it in. 😎
That's going from one extreme to another!!
I recently got a TRX to replace the Raptor. The dealer offered fair money for it so I traded.
TRX is bad ass!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #70
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Quote:

An older gentleman came in and test drove it because he said his M5 in comfort mode was more jarring than his Audi RS 4/5/6 whatever it was and wanted to see if the M4 was softer. Another potential M5 owner to M4 buyer as well. Interesting.
What's real interesting is that he thinks the M3 is softer than the M5. Yup and that's why I'll stay away from this M3/M4
Blows my mind. My F90 Comp with 20s is more comfortable than my F80 ZCP on 19s. I haven't driven the G8x yet though, so can't compare, but if the F90 is a base, there's no chance it's more jarring than the G8x. I refuse to believe that.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
flanast148.50
      03-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #71
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

He has a M5 Comp. Apparently a pretty wealthy guy from what I was told which is probably why they let him test drive it and told me not to open the hood unless they opened it or sit in the back lol.

New sales guy that I don’t normally deal with. He knew I wasn’t going to buy it anyway because I flatly told him I want AWD

Last edited by BzsBimmer; 03-14-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #72
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

If there was a Honda emblem on the g80 that car would be made fun of till the end of time. The fact that it's a bmw gives it some leeway but let's face the facts, the front end of that car is atrocious
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #73
manni22gp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: The ultimate driving machine!

I'm going to put it out there - the New M3/4 has a more balanced ride quality than M5 Competition. Amazingly, it does not seem to have a negative effect on its dynamic abilities, looking at the media reviews so far.

I'm breaking-in our demo model and the initial impression was this very same quality, and remains a baffling surprise to me, especially as the rear suspension sub-frame is still a direct bolt to the chassis - like the F80/82.

I did a 100 mile freeway trip today and it re-inforced how much more usable this generation is. The most accurate description in my mind is "well-damped".

And yes, it's very responsive, even in this very VERY difficult break-in period where I'm avoiding full throttle inputs.

Also, how the S58 engine feels so different in the M3/4 compared to X3 M/ X4 M is a mystery. And I'm not referring to the weight difference. It has a different character, different sound, more turbo-sounds creeping into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #74
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
The M5 front end design is so much sleeker and bolder without trying to look like it's trying so hard to get everyone's attention. The G80 taken with a wide angle looks so awkward. Longer focal length do it better. In the end it's still as Chris Harris put it:

Regardless congrats, that's a nice color and I'm sure it's a hoot to drive.
Attached Images

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #75
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

50% of the comments are just ripping the G80 and questioning the guys motives for buying it. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
Appreciate 2
hova001190.50
Scorp!on1514.50
      03-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #76
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Blows my mind. My F90 Comp with 20s is more comfortable than my F80 ZCP on 19s. I haven't driven the G8x yet though, so can't compare, but if the F90 is a base, there's no chance it's more jarring than the G8x. I refuse to believe that.
Quote:
Quote:

I do not recall a time that I thought my M5 Comp was jarring in any circumstance and that's with the M-Performance suspension. I suppose people are too sensitive for a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #77
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
50% of the comments are just ripping the G80 and questioning the guys motives for buying it. WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?
It's the same with fashion or music; the thing people like and own is no longer new or cool and they don't, or can't, accept times are changing, and that what they like and own is now old, less valuable or not as important. It's common to just dislike and dismiss something new when it has an affect on what you like/love in a negative way.
Also, if you listen carefully over the grille comments, you'll hear the price of the F8x dropping rapidly; this also upsets people and makes them dislike the cause of that - the G8X.
      03-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #78
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcali86 View Post
It's the same with fashion or music; the thing people like and own is no longer new or cool and they don't, or can't, accept times are changing, and that what they like and own is now old, less valuable or not as important. It's common to just dislike and dismiss something new when it has an affect on what you like/love in a negative way.
Also, if you listen carefully over the grille comments, you'll hear the price of the F8x dropping rapidly; this also upsets people and makes them dislike the cause of that - the G8X.
I totally understand what you mean.
But if people really think like that, damn they have some issues.

I don't give a f*** how uncool or old something is I own, as long as I PERSONALLY like it.
I don't buy a car or phone or whatever to impress other, it's something I buy for myself.

If I would be an F8X owner and wouldn't like the G8X platform I would happily congratulate people who buy it when they like it and I would enjoy my F8X. It's still an awesome car.

I mean, in the end we are in a BMW Forum and we all have something in common: we like BMW

But I do understand people who are disappointed and wanted something else but it is what it is, take it or leave it.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 01:35 AM   #79
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
On the contrary. Nothing would make me more happy than a beautiful, rip-roaring fast and agile new G80. M cars don't appreciate until they are decades old and in good condition. I beat the hell out of both my previous M3's and I would be happy to add the G80 to my list. Unfortunately, it's not one that I want to add to my list and that is upsetting not because my F80 is outdated, but because the G80 is not making a stronger case for me to really want to get one. I timed my F80 so that I could get a G80 in it's second year of production. Now I have to consider other cars. Not necessarily bad to open up to other cars, but I love the M3/4. The G80 makes it hard to keep that tradition going. Keep in mind this is all subjective. I'm sure the car is incredible, but I'm not going to lie to myself and everyone around me and pretend it isn't ugly or too big and heavy to me.

As for why I am here, this thread was on the front page.

As for the F80 depreciating... That was going to happen regardless of how successful the G80 is.

I'm sure there is SOME undeserved criticism from bitter F80 owners sad that their cars are outdated, but I can speak for myself and say in all honesty that it's not the case for me and it's not always the case. There are plenty of non-F80 owners who criticize the front. What's their excuse?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:50 AM   #80
Jcali86
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
On the contrary. Nothing would make me more happy than a beautiful, rip-roaring fast and agile new G80. M cars don't appreciate until they are decades old and in good condition. I beat the hell out of both my previous M3's and I would be happy to add the G80 to my list. Unfortunately, it's not one that I want to add to my list and that is upsetting not because my F80 is outdated, but because the G80 is not making a stronger case for me to really want to get one. I timed my F80 so that I could get a G80 in it's second year of production. Now I have to consider other cars. Not necessarily bad to open up to other cars, but I love the M3/4. The G80 makes it hard to keep that tradition going. Keep in mind this is all subjective. I'm sure the car is incredible, but I'm not going to lie to myself and everyone around me and pretend it isn't ugly or too big and heavy to me.

As for why I am here, this thread was on the front page.

As for the F80 depreciating... That was going to happen regardless of how successful the G80 is.

I'm sure there is SOME undeserved criticism from bitter F80 owners sad that their cars are outdated, but I can speak for myself and say in all honesty that it's not the case for me and it's not always the case. There are plenty of non-F80 owners who criticize the front. What's their excuse?
Yeah I see that now for sure. I am trying to understand, but with a lot of bias myself I've realized today so I've been struggling obviously, but I get where a lot of people are coming from and understand a lot of the criticisms better now. I'm coming across petty instead of passionate, so hoping to change that, because that's what I am; a future owner of their first M car and I'm just super excited to finally be able to be in this position

I hope you find the right car for you next