BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-17-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition X-drive

If you're curious about my initial order, pickup experience, and the reasons behind my choices, you can find the details in here. However, I’m going to focus more on how the vehicle has performed over the past year, and whether it is meeting or exceeding my expectations for its intended use in my specific scenario.

TL/DR: 10/10

**Background:**
I live in Ottawa, where temperature ranges from approximately -35°C to 35°C, and we experience a variety of weather conditions, from thunderstorms to snow and ice. This car serves as my daily driver, accompanying me to work, errands, and my kids' sports activities. While I haven't tracked this specific car, I've driven the same model on the Mt Tremblant race track, providing me with a taste of its capabilities. I have just under 9,000km on the vehicle so far.

**Looks:**
To my eyes, this car keeps improving its aesthetic appeal with time. It stands out among the other 3 series, where you instantly can tell this is an M3. The color remains incredible, although I've seen individual blues that caught my eye, possibly for my next ICE M3 purchase. The CF roof is a great touch, to give it that sporty look. I make no claims here that I chose it for any other reason than that.

The interior has aged exceptionally well, maintaining a “new” appearance despite the presence of kids with dirty shoes and boots. Seatback protectors of course have been a savior, preventing nicks and scratches for the plastic seatbacks.

**Drivetrain:**
I adore this engine. While it may not be a V8/V10, its ample power makes driving a sheer joy. The ZF8 speed complements it perfectly, allowing easy access to the power. Whether cruising on the highway or unleashing the M modes, it delivers outstanding performance. While a manual would be a dream, the practicality of daily winter driving with AWD led me to choose the automatic.

**Steering and Handling:**
The steering feel hasn't won me over entirely – it's fine but somewhat numb. However, it's not a deal-breaker. The handling, on the other hand, is perfect for my needs. It takes corners at such speed that you don't realize how fast you're going when exiting an on-ramp.

**Versatility:**
This car is a true jack of all trades. It combines good looks, speed, power, and family-friendliness. Whether accommodating two hockey bags and sticks or handling a snowstorm, the M3 proves its versatility. It's equally comfortable on a 400km family vacation drive.

**Reliability:**
Overall, reliability has been excellent. Initial issues with navigation (Apple Maps/Google Maps/Waze) were resolved through an update. An ECU update resolved an error found during a dealership visit. A rattle from the A-pillar was fixed with Bimmercode by turning off fake downshift sound. No significant reliability issues otherwise.

**Modifications**
I haven’t done a ton, I’m fairly scared of screwing up my warranty. Orange reflector delete (from IND), M3 Competition centre console added, SST exhaust valve controller and I’m waiting for spring to throw on 15/12 spacers. If anyone is on the fence about a valve controller just do it. It completely changes the sound of the vehicle and makes the car feel more sporty while not annoying all my neighbours when I leave/arrive in the middle of the night from work.

**Regrets:**
Not many regrets. Occasionally, I wonder whether opting for CF seats would have been better, but I'm quite happy with the standard seats. As a daily, they are comfortable, easy to get into, and provide solid venting in the summer. I wouldn't change any other option, though I might explore an individual color for my next M3.

**Overall:**
Pure joy. I often find myself walking away, whispering "I love you" to the car. It has not only met but exceeded my expectations. If you're on the fence and have the means, I can't think of another vehicle in this class/price range that could fulfill my needs the way this M3 has.

If you have any questions, let me know! Some of my favorite pics of Bluey (iPhone only, nothing fancy) to show it off like a proud father.
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
DSTR1241.00
/ / / M3496.50
JDUNITNOW3511.50
Needsdecaf6599.00
chicagofan0019146.00
CJ4211559.00
Lupeskew592.00
      01-17-2024, 02:19 PM   #2
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Nice review!

A midpipe will take the sound to the next level. ASD off + midpipe swap + SST makes the car sound exactly as it should have from the factory. There'll be no issues with warranty.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 02:29 PM   #3
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Nice review!

A midpipe will take the sound to the next level. ASD off + midpipe swap + SST makes the car sound exactly as it should have from the factory. There'll be no issues with warranty.
Thanks!

I have to leave/arrive quite late due to shift work. Am I able to make it quiet enough with the valve controller so my neighbors and kids who sleep above the garage don’t want to kill me? I worry that it might be too loud and once I get the midpipe there will be no going back. Well at least not a cheap way to do it. Appreciate the advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosenberg33 View Post
Thanks!

I have to leave/arrive quite late due to shift work. Am I able to make it quiet enough with the valve controller so my neighbors and kids who sleep above the garage don’t want to kill me? I worry that it might be too loud and once I get the midpipe there will be no going back. Well at least not a cheap way to do it. Appreciate the advice!
Well firstly, you can always put the stock midpipe back. Even though it's cut from the muffler section (which is normal procedure even for BMW when installing the M Performance Exhaust), you can still put it back with the clamps that'd be used for the new midpipe (the other side is just attached with bolts to the stock downpipes). You'd just have to get it home and/or in storage somewhere if you ever decided to sell or wanted it back on for some reason.

As for the sound, the stock muffler wouldn't be replaced with just a midpipe, so you can still make the valve controller start up with the valves closed as you do now. It's still pretty quiet with the valves closed. The real sound enhancement is higher RPMs and during actual driving.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #5
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Beautiful spec! Though I'm biased...
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 04:03 PM   #6
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Nice review!

Are you going to cover the bill if BMW Canada voids his warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
Obviously not but he'd be the first if BMW Canada did that over a midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:51 PM   #8
hrosenberg33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Obviously not but he'd be the first if BMW Canada did that over a midpipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
I appreciate the feedback and I’m strongly considering it. Worst case if I’m too much of a chicken I’ll do it after the warranty’s out. I’m hoping this car is with me for at least 5 years+.
Appreciate 0