BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-27-2023, 04:35 AM   #1
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Mach E: Dumb

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...xhaust-sounds/

This is not the way, Ford. I don’t care how fast it is. Looks pathetic and now it’ll sound that way too.

Ford: “ok ladies, make me an ugly EV crossover and slap a Shelby sticker on it. Oh and make it fart noise. People like that.

Perfect, our work here is done.”

Horrid.
No thanks,
I’ll stick with this
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-27-2023, 02:36 PM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

caroll shelby is rolling in his grave
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-27-2023, 05:42 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
caroll shelby is rolling in his grave
Still better than the utter dogshit Shelby-branded cars in the 80s. He was actually involved with those which makes it even worse.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-27-2023, 08:39 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Ewww. Just as i thought...trash.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-28-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Who buys this crap?
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #6
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Who buys this crap?
We’ll find out soon lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

new shelby logo?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Nate.G82521.00
DO4441408.50
somer966.00
      04-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
It's... slightly better than Dodge's attempt, but still gross. To quote Jeff Goldblum: "scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      04-28-2023, 04:26 PM   #9
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I can promise you that in the future (and likely sooner than later), more exhaust companies like Borla will be selling these fake sounds to manufacturers to give their EVs the option of sounding like a raucous ICE car. All kinds of sounds will be created - a turbo sound, a supercharger sound, a naturally-aspirated sound, an inline 6 sound, and of course for MORE money, you can get a cool V8 sound, and another tier will be V10 and V12 sounds.

And then once the car manufacturers realize these exhaust and tech firms have come together to make money on sound clips, they're going to start producing their own ICE soundtracks with Bose, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkinson, Mark Levinson, Burmester, etc., and will charge for them like a regular option. BMW will charge like $7,500 to outfit your new I7 with a lush-sounding BMW V12 soundtrack, and Lamborghini will make it a $15,000 option to outfit your electric Lambo with a boisterous V10 soundtrack. Piped through separate perfectly-staged speakers developed by the high-end car audio companies, I bet it will sound pretty good too. Car audio will become "24-speaker systems with 5 of them dedicated to your ICE soundtrack!"

And you know they're going to get creative, as they will add some subtle vibration through the steering wheel and seats to match the experience. It will be like those new D-Box seats at the theatres that offer "dynamic vibration into theater seats to give movie-goers an extra level of engagement".

Oh, it's coming. Believe me. And you know what? Plenty of people with money to burn or going to check that box on the option list, because it will be the latest cool car tech to get. Just look at the movie screen in the back of the new 7-series.

Fake engine noise sounds sacrilegious. But many drivers, and lots of car enthusiasts, are OK with fake vents, fake exhaust tips, fake rear diffusers, fake cross-drilled rotors, fake carbon fiber, and rear wings that provide no downforce. How about the fake Buick-like port vents along the side of the hood? Hec, some are even OK with fake badges. I saw the latest BMW 7-series the other day with fake Alpina badges...on their $120,000 luxury barge!!!

What will be sacrilegious to some (and only to some) is when Ferrari is selling their V8 soundtrack to the masses, for like $20k, and then ANYone can simply download the clip onto their car's hard drive and play it through their speakers. So then, eventually, once Ferrari's secrets are stolen (and those audio files are hacked and spread to the enthusiasts for a mere $5,000), we'll have EV Civics that will have Ferrari soundtracks. Instead of buying $1,000 exhausts, young enthusiasts will be saving for their $3,000 Corvette soundtrack files. Something else for us purists to complain about. And here we thought those loud gunshot-like burble tunes were bad, it may get worse (or maybe better, depending on how you look at it).

But, you know what, it may end up making the EV experience exciting. I myself can see the allure of an EV Boxster with the option of turning on the Porsche 4.0L soundtrack coming through some well-placed rear speakers at the press of a button. Efficiency, blinding acceleration, AND a well-executed soundtrack blaring through perfectly-placed speakers? I'll take it.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Nate.G82521.00
      04-28-2023, 06:19 PM   #10
DO444
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I can promise you that in the future (and likely sooner than later), more exhaust companies like Borla will be selling these fake sounds to manufacturers to give their EVs the option of sounding like a raucous ICE car. All kinds of sounds will be created - a turbo sound, a supercharger sound, a naturally-aspirated sound, an inline 6 sound, and of course for MORE money, you can get a cool V8 sound, and another tier will be V10 and V12 sounds.

And then once the car manufacturers realize these exhaust and tech firms have come together to make money on sound clips, they're going to start producing their own ICE soundtracks with Bose, Bang & Olufsen, Bowers & Wilkinson, Mark Levinson, Burmester, etc., and will charge for them like a regular option. BMW will charge like $7,500 to outfit your new I7 with a lush-sounding BMW V12 soundtrack, and Lamborghini will make it a $15,000 option to outfit your electric Lambo with a boisterous V10 soundtrack. Piped through separate perfectly-staged speakers developed by the high-end car audio companies, I bet it will sound pretty good too. Car audio will become "24-speaker systems with 5 of them dedicated to your ICE soundtrack!"

And you know they're going to get creative, as they will add some subtle vibration through the steering wheel and seats to match the experience. It will be like those new D-Box seats at the theatres that offer "dynamic vibration into theater seats to give movie-goers an extra level of engagement".

Oh, it's coming. Believe me. And you know what? Plenty of people with money to burn or going [...]
But, it won’t have any gears so… idk, it really makes no sense.

They are going to introduce false gear changes (worsening performance) in order to maybe the false sound lol?

Good grief.
I’m gonna look elsewhere for fun at that point.

I think the best thing coming out of EV is EVTOL. BMW should forget electric cars and just go straight to EVTOL.

Then the roundel makes sense again, and they are right back to where they started. The circle is complete.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      04-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #11
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post

They are going to introduce false gear changes (worsening performance) in order to maybe the false sound lol?

Good grief.
I’m gonna look elsewhere for fun at that point.

I think the best thing coming out of EV is EVTOL. BMW should forget electric cars and just go straight to EVTOL.

Then the roundel makes sense again, and they are right back to where they started. The circle is complete.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post

They'll figure it out.

Just like they'll figure out how to make a Boxster fun in an EV platform.

Just like they figured out how to make forced induction fun (even with a decent sound).

Just like they figured out how to make AWD cars fun.

Just like they figured out how to make front-wheel drive cars fun.

Just like they figured out how to make sluggish slushboxes kinda fun, complete with paddle shifters (which enticed a lot of when they came out, and still do...but we got over it). Hec, we have paddle shifters in SUVs and Camrys now.

Technology + petrolheads + capitalism = fun times ahead!

Today, when those old guys pull up to the "cruise in" meets in their restored 60s and 70s muscle cars holding onto the past, parked next to our late-model M cars....that will be many of us, soon enough. Except it won't be a 60-year gap in car generations, it will be like a 20-year gap.

There will be bone-stock SUVs and Corollas faster than our M cars (and more efficient). But we won't care.......just like those old guys in their Chevelles and Pontiac GTOs complete with AM radios and hand-crank windows don't care about a 2022 500hp German sedan with screens littered throughout the interior.

Hey, maybe we'll have manual electric cars.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
Nate.G82521.00
      05-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #13
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

This makes me sad
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50