BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #23
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Care to elaborate? Just curious.

I should be testing a Plaid today or tomorrow so I could get a better sense of what the new model S is all about.

Conversely, my Porsche dealer has no one on the list for a base 911 (all the car I need) at sticker... most likely Jan. production. Tough call. 992 fits babies right? That's a family car, right!?
If it's all the car you need then definitely jump on the MSRP base 911!!!
Saw a new GT3 in my neighborhood, well, I heard it first (sweetholymackarel!), then immediately logged on to read about it. Every review pretty much says "the base 911 is near perfect for a daily, and it's only $98,000." My ego and insecurity would go for more (marketers love buyers like me) even though our local roads make a Civic Type R #overkill, but the 911 is such a sexy car in any of its seemingly endless variants. As for the January wait, I'd consider it a short-term equity timeline with a very good return.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #24
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I like the idea of what Tesla is doing. But I keep seeing the Model S' flying off the track, and it's put the car on the back burner, for me. I drive too aggressively, for a car to get unpredictably out of hand.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #25
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Care to elaborate? Just curious.

I should be testing a Plaid today or tomorrow so I could get a better sense of what the new model S is all about.

Conversely, my Porsche dealer has no one on the list for a base 911 (all the car I need) at sticker... most likely Jan. production. Tough call. 992 fits babies right? That's a family car, right!?
You kind of just answered your own question(s) unless they were rhetorical in nature

But I hate to tell you this, the LR-S will not remotely feel like the Plaid. Maybe from Zero to 30 but then things change exponentially. Interior bits are the same though and so is the wide ass body.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:26 PM   #26
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Thought I’d jump in here and resurrect this old thread.

First, what did the OP end up purchasing?

Second, I cross shopped a new M3 manual with the new refresh Long Range Model S. I ended up going with a 2022 Model S - blue on black. No regrets. It’s a smooth, wicked cruise missile. Love the ridiculous power, size, utility, range, aesthetics (great hips!), technology…just about everything about it. And mine is well built. Oh, and it only costs about $10 to “fill up” in my garage during off-peak charging. Love it!
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      06-15-2023, 05:48 AM   #27
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Thought I’d jump in here and resurrect this old thread.

First, what did the OP end up purchasing?

Second, I cross shopped a new M3 manual with the new refresh Long Range Model S. I ended up going with a 2022 Model S - blue on black. No regrets. It’s a smooth, wicked cruise missile. Love the ridiculous power, size, utility, range, aesthetics (great hips!), technology…just about everything about it. And mine is well built. Oh, and it only costs about $10 to “fill up” in my garage during off-peak charging. Love it!

We welcome you!!!

Even just the long range, that’s still a 10.6 car. Sure it’s not “engaging “ like the manual m3 but really how can anyone really enjoy a manual these days unless you live by the mountains or go to the track.

The model s is a better car in that regard.
      06-15-2023, 06:12 AM   #28
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
We welcome you!!!

Even just the long range, that’s still a 10.6 car. Sure it’s not “engaging “ like the manual m3 but really how can anyone really enjoy a manual these days unless you live by the mountains or go to the track.

The model s is a better car in that regard.
Thanks. To be clear, even though I was cross shopping them, I fully acknowledged these were two completely different types cars. So I was really just decided what type of daily experience made sense for me. Ultimately, given the fact that our other primary car is a ‘22 X3 M40i, I felt like a contrast in manufacturer and even drivetrain type (BEV) made the most sense, reserving the idea for a more hardcore manual performance car for a future weekend car purchase (I’m finally at a place in life where I have the resources to make that a reality).

I’ve traditionally driven manuals, and I have NO doubt that really any manual performance car would be more engaging. If and when I opt for a weekend car in the next few years, a G80 M3 manual will be in strong consideration (against either a C8 or a 718 Boxster S)!

p.s. I’ve been a member on this site since the early 2000s! We still own (via my son in college, a 2014 manual 335i M-Sport)…and of course the new X3.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      06-15-2023, 06:34 AM   #29
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Thanks. To be clear, even though I was cross shopping them, I fully acknowledged these were two completely different types cars. So I was really just decided what type of daily experience made sense for me. Ultimately, given the fact that our other primary car is a ‘22 X3 M40i, I felt like a contrast in manufacturer and even drivetrain type (BEV) made the most sense, reserving the idea for a more hardcore manual performance car for a future weekend car purchase (I’m finally at a place in life where I have the resources to make that a reality).

I’ve traditionally driven manuals, and I have NO doubt that really any manual performance car would be more engaging. If and when I opt for a weekend car in the next few years, a G80 M3 manual will be in strong consideration (against either a C8 or a 718 Boxster S)!

p.s. I’ve been a member on this site since the early 2000s! We still own (via my son in college, a 2014 manual 335i M-Sport)…and of course the new X3.
When my new z06 arrives by sept, that’s when I’m going to get rid of my model 3 for a plaid.

I thought about the long range but for only 20 grand more I rather have something that solidifies pure street dominance. Nothing will ever touch you on the road.

Brooks from dragtimes went 9.5 in his model s plaid on 50%soc which is insane.

Meanwhile if my model 3 is at 50%. It’ll probably run a 12.5 lol

I still don’t mind manual however I’m not in love with it like I used to. So many amazing fast cars these days and it can only be appreciated with the advanced autos now.
Needsdecaf6599.00