BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

08-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350

"Vehicle" hold

This is showing up on my vehicle status report from my CA. Any idea what "vehicle" means in the hold field?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
please search before posting, there are many mega threads covering this. I'll link one below

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1838649
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 3
kayt69569.50
MKParris908.00
      08-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmooth0101 View Post
This is showing up on my vehicle status report from my CA. Any idea what "vehicle" means in the hold field?
It means it can't be released either from Germany or from the US port it arrived at because of an issue. Recently, it has been missing parts, like cameras and other microchips the car needs. Your CA should at least be able to tell you what the hold is for, a camera or something else.

There is a parts shortage around the world in all industries, so this is the reason someone's car might have a hold on it and preventing it from being delivered to a dealer or sold to a customer.

One thing I've more recently started reading about has something to do with the EPA certification.

People that have been held up because of a parts issue have been waiting for as long as a month, or longer, but some have slowly started to move along and make their way to dealerships. But it could be a quick pause or a long one and BMW is not being transparent about the situation so people are in the dark about ETA of their cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Quote:
It means it can't be released either from Germany or from the US port it arrived at because of an issue. Recently, it has been missing parts, like cameras and other microchips the car needs. Your CA should at least be able to tell you what the hold is for, a camera or something else.

There is a parts shortage around the world in all industries, so this is the reason someone's car might have a hold on it and preventing it from being delivered to a dealer or sold to a customer.

One thing I've more recently started reading about has something to do with the EPA certification.

People that have been held up because of a parts issue have been waiting for as long as a month, or longer, but some have slowly started to move along and make their way to dealerships. But it could be a quick pause or a long one and BMW is not being transparent about the situation so people are in the dark about ETA of their cars.
Thanks. I was aware of the various issues. I guess what I was asking was the following: when the car shipped it had 3 holds, engineering, vehicle and release. Two of the 3 have gone away. Was just curious whether anyone knew whether the vehicle hold was related to a known particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. I was aware of the various issues. I guess what I was asking was the following: when the car shipped it had 3 holds, engineering, vehicle and release. Two of the 3 have gone away. Was just curious whether anyone knew whether the vehicle hold was related to a known particular issue.
Oh, I see. Aside from parts issues and EPA cert., I have read that there is a "release date" for the MY22s and BMW is holding cars until that date. I haven't seen or heard anything officially stating that but some customers have hypothesized that they are holding these cars until a specific date.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Oh, I see. Aside from parts issues and EPA cert., I have read that there is a "release date" for the MY22s and BMW is holding cars until that date. I haven't seen or heard anything officially stating that but some customers have hypothesized that they are holding these cars until a specific date.
Well it's not a theory at this point. My car has been at the port here in NJ since 08/03 I have called twice and both times they assured me there is no holds on my 2022. The last time I called(last week) they seemed to suggest that it was just waiting on a carrier assignment to be picked up and that it would be "shortly". My dealership is in NJ and one would assume it would only take a couple hours to reach the dealer. However it's still waiting...

BMW hasn't offically launched the 2022 M3 xdrive(U.S market at least). The last news about the release date was back in April during the big press event and it was a generic "sometime in August"

At this point I'm just gonna assume we won't hear news until next week at the earliest, would be surprised if it takes the end of this month.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post
Quote:
Well it's not a theory at this point. My car has been at the port here in NJ since 08/03 I have called twice and both times they assured me there is no holds on my 2022. The last time I called(last week) they seemed to suggest that it was just waiting on a carrier assignment to be picked up and that it would be "shortly". My dealership is in NJ and one would assume it would only take a couple hours to reach the dealer. However it's still waiting...

BMW hasn't offically launched the 2022 M3 xdrive(U.S market at least). The last news about the release date was back in April during the big press event and it was a generic "sometime in August"

At this point I'm just gonna assume we won't hear news until next week at the earliest, would be surprised if it takes the end of this month.
I kind of figured the release hold related to what you are talking about and since it's now gone, they would be releasing cars, but who knows what release means versus vehicle when it comes to bmw holds
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 09:56 PM   #8
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I kind of figured the release hold related to what you are talking about and since it's now gone, they would be releasing cars, but who knows what release means versus vehicle when it comes to bmw holds
Is it only for the M3/4 xDrive models, as far as waiting for a certain date to release or is it for all MY22s? Because I'm seeing my car, the M550i, in showrooms at some dealerships. Delivered and ready to sell, not just in transit. But the xDrive M3s are different and a new model, so maybe things are different for that and BMW wants them released on a specific day instead of slowly trickling in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
Asmooth0101
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is it only for the M3/4 xDrive models, as far as waiting for a certain date to release or is it for all MY22s? Because I'm seeing my car, the M550i, in showrooms at some dealerships. Delivered and ready to sell, not just in transit. But the xDrive M3s are different and a new model, so maybe things are different for that and BMW wants them released on a specific day instead of slowly trickling in.
Mine is a 2022 comp rwd and it has the vehicle hold on it
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

My 2022 xdrive release hold was removed today. Leaving VPC Saturday
Appreciate 1
forza19763398.00
      08-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #11
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Quote:
Mine is a 2022 comp rwd and it has the vehicle hold on it
The 2022 XDrive was formally released yesterday by BMW. That probably means all 2022’s have been released.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #12
Oqa22
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C XDrive

I’m so confused. Literally getting three different answers from Genius, Customer Relations, and my SA. Genius says it’s cleared VPC and waiting for carrier. Customer relations says there’s a work order in place and unclear when it will be available for release. SA is saying that there’s no work order, that “I’m one of the lucky ones” that didn’t need the camera replacement, but it’s not released yet because no 22s are being released from the VPC until “bmw official launch”. I just wish someone would give me a frickin straight answer. Oh it’s a 22 M3 Comp XDrive w park assist but nothing individual, first allocation, July 13 build.

SA sent me this yesterday (appreciate if anyone could decode what the real deal is):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqa22 View Post
I’m so confused. Literally getting three different answers from Genius, Customer Relations, and my SA. Genius says it’s cleared VPC and waiting for carrier. Customer relations says there’s a work order in place and unclear when it will be available for release. SA is saying that there’s no work order, that “I’m one of the lucky ones” that didn’t need the camera replacement, but it’s not released yet because no 22s are being released from the VPC until “bmw official launch”. I just wish someone would give me a frickin straight answer.

SA sent me this yesterday (appreciate if anyone could decode what the real deal is):
While I can't comment on whether or not your car has a work order hold I am 100% certain that BMW has released the 2022 models as confirmed by 4 different sources and several members on here.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #14
Oqa22
Rep

Yeah that’s why I’m so confused, and even on the screenshot he sent me if you can see through the blurriness next to where it says Holds it says “Released”
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #15
Oqa22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
While I can't comment on whether or not your car has a work order hold I am 100% certain that BMW has released the 2022 models as confirmed by 4 different sources and several members on here.
Basically I’m just extremely jealous of you right now Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqa22 View Post
Yeah that’s why I’m so confused, and even on the screenshot he sent me if you can see through the blurriness next to where it says Holds it says “Released”
If it says "Holds: Release" that means there is a release hold on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
Oqa22
Rep

Oh wow. Thanks for the clarification. At least now Ill know why I’ll be waiting another month.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:12 PM   #18
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
The Performance Center sent an email to my CA with the information below regarding my 22 RWD because I will be having PCD. It would appear that these holds are related to EPA/CARB Certifications though YMMV.

"[T]his vehicle, production number XXXXXXX, is a new model year vehicle and we cannot provide a delivery date at this time. Every year EPA and CARB Certifications, which are issued by the government, must be obtained for every new model year vehicle and BMWNA must receive those certifications before a vehicle can be delivered to a customer. An Engineering Data hold as well as a Release hold will be placed on this vehicle once it reaches production status 155. Neither of these holds will be removed until BMWNA receives the necessary certifications from the appropriate government agencies.

We have also recently seen extended delays in shipment for vehicles that are shipping from Europe and before we can provide a tentative delivery date for XXXX we must wait for the vehicle to be assigned an ETA for arrival to the U.S. port and for both the Engineering Data and the Release holds to be removed. If the Engineering Data and Release holds have not been removed by the time the vehicle arrives at the U.S. port it will remain at the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC) / Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) until the certifications have been received and both holds have been removed. This vehicle cannot be shipped to your BMW Retail Center or to the BMW Performance Center until both holds have been removed."

HTH

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #19
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
The Performance Center sent an email to my CA with the information below regarding my 22 RWD because I will be having PCD. It would appear that these holds are related to EPA/CARB Certifications though YMMV.

"[T]his vehicle, production number XXXXXXX, is a new model year vehicle and we cannot provide a delivery date at this time. Every year EPA and CARB Certifications, which are issued by the government, must be obtained for every new model year vehicle and BMWNA must receive those certifications before a vehicle can be delivered to a customer. An Engineering Data hold as well as a Release hold will be placed on this vehicle once it reaches production status 155. Neither of these holds will be removed until BMWNA receives the necessary certifications from the appropriate government agencies.

We have also recently seen extended delays in shipment for vehicles that are shipping from Europe and before we can provide a tentative delivery date for XXXX we must wait for the vehicle to be assigned an ETA for arrival to the U.S. port and for both the Engineering Data and the Release holds to be removed. If the Engineering Data and Release holds have not been removed by the time the vehicle arrives at the U.S. port it will remain at the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC) / Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) until the certifications have been received and both holds have been removed. This vehicle cannot be shipped to your BMW Retail Center or to the BMW Performance Center until both holds have been removed."

HTH
EPA release holds were removed on 8/2.
Appreciate 1
HTTP 4102141.50
      08-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #20
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
EPA release holds were removed on 8/2.
Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that I received this info on 7/28 and I don't currently know what holds, if any, that are on my car.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #21
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I did call the Genius line on Friday and learned that I don't have any holds on my 2022 M3 which is great because I have the Parking Assistance. Now if it would just get on a ship!

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #22
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
I did call the Genius line on Friday and learned that I don't have any holds on my 2022 M3 which is great because I have the Parking Assistance. Now if it would just get on a ship!
How long had it been at the home port before fixed?
Appreciate 0